GASing for a Mesa Boogie Mark v

I may have found an Archon 25. Purple, my wife’s favorite color (WAF) and tolerable for m. I hear (read) good clean, good modern drive tone, good modern metal tone. Questions - 1) good blues tone?, thinking BB King / Albert King, less so SRV, but would be cool. 2) Classic rock stuff? AC/DC stuff? 3) a decent price for a used USA 25, mint, and maybe very good? 4) bedroom volume? Say tv to loud tv, conversation or below even better. Calling @bodia and @DreamTheaterRules, just based on knowing they have some experience with the Archon. I’m sure several others do as well, PRS forum after all. I’d ask @LSchefman, but he’d tell me to get the 100, quit being a p*ssy, and just pay big guys to schlep it for me….. (I kid. I value your input!)

Definitely no SRV without a pedal in front. I am getting a Kingsley Page TS for that kind of thing in front of my Archon. I think you can also get good results with a Keeley Red Dirt Germanium (germanium version is important), MXR Timmy, and many others too. I'm picking the Kingsley because it has tubes in it, which should give me the sound I'm going for.

The weakness of the Archon imo is that there is no 'dirty clean' or mild breakup tone. The clean channel stays crystal clean (and sounds amazing if that's what you want). The lead channel is responsive and has a huge range of gain, but will not clean up all the way.

I love my Archon dearly, but it is not a single channel Marshall where you can get set the amp filthy and get your clean tone with your guitar volume knob. Up to you what you're looking for in an amp.

As for prices, $700 on a used 25W is a good price. Purple ones are a little more expensive. Not sure how much more since there aren't very many.

Another thing you should know is that old Archons (2014 and older) have a noisy effects loop. There's an easy mod to fix it if you can solder or it's $60 to have a tech do it. I bought an old one and did the mod myself.

Archon is an amazing amp and really easy to dial for lots of different tones. It's easier to dial than a Mk V, but can't do quite as many tones.

That said, if you want a Mesa, then maybe you should get a Mesa.

The weakness of the Archon imo is that there is no 'dirty clean' or mild breakup tone. The clean channel stays crystal clean (and sounds amazing if that's what you want). The lead channel is responsive and has a huge range of gain, but will not clean up all the way.
I will disagree with this on a technicality: if you dial back the guitar's volume, and set the Lead Channel "volume" (gain) to somewhere between 7:30 and 9 (clock) or "between 1 and 2 out of 10 or so" you can get a nice clean tone from the Lead channel on the Archon, which you can then get slight breakup dirt as you increase the guitar's volume.

Of course, the Archon shines with the Lead channel gain at ten o'clock or above, but the clean channel takes overdrive/dirt pedals very nicely, so you can always get that break-up dirt sound that way.

New guy here. I found a bit of info in a thread from last year, but figured it would be ok to start a one one with specific questions.

TL/DR - Mesa mark v 25 and 35 questions for a guy who wants one, but isn’t near a good enough guitar player to own one.

Background:
(Very) new player
SE Custom 22
I’ve wanted a Mesa since I was a kid, like 45+ years ago ‘cause Santana…
70’s, 80’s, 90’s rock, blues, scorpions, BOC, AC/DC…
Bedroom playing. I have a little black amp box, I’m ok getting an attenuator

Thoughts and Constraints
Pretty sure on the Mark series
Good sense says a v:25 combo
Future planning says head and speaker cab - theile, wide body 12 or recto 1x12
Good sense says v 25
Internet trash and desire says v 35 head, ‘cause better master volume, more versatile, extra cab clone model, and some features I probably won’t use, longer reverb tank.
Size says no v:35 combo
Budget says no v:90

Questions
How is the v:25 combo?
How is the v:25 head?
Is the v:35 head truly better, enough for the extra 10 lb and $200 to $300?
Cabinet recommendations?

Thanks all!
New guy here. I found a bit of info in a thread from last year, but figured it would be ok to start a one one with specific questions.

TL/DR - Mesa mark v 25 and 35 questions for a guy who wants one, but isn’t near a good enough guitar player to own one.

Background:
(Very) new player
SE Custom 22
I’ve wanted a Mesa since I was a kid, like 45+ years ago ‘cause Santana…
70’s, 80’s, 90’s rock, blues, scorpions, BOC, AC/DC…
Bedroom playing. I have a little black amp box, I’m ok getting an attenuator

Thoughts and Constraints
Pretty sure on the Mark series
Good sense says a v:25 combo
Future planning says head and speaker cab - theile, wide body 12 or recto 1x12
Good sense says v 25
Internet trash and desire says v 35 head, ‘cause better master volume, more versatile, extra cab clone model, and some features I probably won’t use, longer reverb tank.
Size says no v:35 combo
Budget says no v:90

Questions
How is the v:25 combo?
How is the v:25 head?
Is the v:35 head truly better, enough for the extra 10 lb and $200 to $300?
Cabinet recommendations?

Thanks all!

As others have said the V25 or 35 or just about any Mesa are not bedrooms amps. But assuming you want to play eventually, the 5/35 is a killer amp. I run it with 2 12" Theil cabinets.
One feature that is great on the amp is the cab clone output. If I'm at home recording, I shut off the speakers and run an XLR into a mixer. That way I can crank the amp way up to get a decent sound but keep the volume low with the mixer.
But these are not cheap amps and an amp too powerful for any setting results in having to keep the volume gain settings so low that you suffocate the sounds. Amps like to run as close to wide open as you can.

So… here’s where I’m leaning right now:
MkV25 Combo. Works now and I don’t have to buy a cab right now
Combo is the same amp as the head, just a bit taller
Combo can basically be a tall head, or a combo
24 lbs!
Headphone out
Cab clone, for better or worse.
24 lbs!

I can scale up later if necessary. I plan on getting the Bugera PS-1 to help with quiet volume.

This could all change tomorrow of course…

Thanks to all for comments thus far.

The key to the MK V 25 is the switchable wattage down to 10w, with volume & master control you can get it to work but it's never really going to be a "bedroom amp". If you live in an apartment or other tight volume situation, headphones might be the way to go although I found the headphone jack on the Mesa to be less than enjoyable and had better results running the direct out into my mixer and computer.

As for attenuators, I haven't had good luck with them as I don't like the slight latency they have, some don't notice it but it throws me off. YMMV

That said there is no more classic pairing than PRS & a Mesa, my MK25 is the Swiss army knife of amps and I can dial up everything from crispy clean to metal, and everything in between exceptionally. I personally prefer a head which gives me the freedom to switch cabs for different sounds and situations.

Good luck in your tone search.

Well, I pulled the trigger as described earlier:

Mark V 25 combo, PS-1 attenuator. Assuming the demo unit from Sweetwater is in good enough condition to warrant the premium over a used amp.

comments from all have been very helpful. I’m not in an apartment, rather a stand alone house. The attenuator is for the consideration of my family when they are home. I’m sure I’ll end up with a cab eventually. Currently the combo should serve me best. Honestly, the fact that it’s a Mesa, comments and reviews, and the fact that it’s a 24 lb amp and speaker with purported killer tones locked inside sold it. We shall see over the next months/years.

Many thanks to all.

Mark V 25 combo, PS-1 attenuator. Assuming the demo unit from Sweetwater is in good enough condition to warrant the premium over a used amp.

comments from all have been very helpful. I’m not in an apartment, rather a stand alone house. The attenuator is for the consideration of my family when they are home. I’m sure I’ll end up with a cab eventually. Currently the combo should serve me best. Honestly, the fact that it’s a Mesa, comments and reviews, and the fact that it’s a 24 lb amp and speaker with purported killer tones locked inside sold it. We shall see over the next months/years.

Many thanks to all.
Nice!

Many thanks to all.

Enjoy! I'm sure you'll love it. It's really worth getting a nice tube amp even when you're beginning. I play way more because I love the way my amp sounds.

I will disagree with this on a technicality: if you dial back the guitar's volume, and set the Lead Channel "volume" (gain) to somewhere between 7:30 and 9 (clock) or "between 1 and 2 out of 10 or so" you can get a nice clean tone from the Lead channel on the Archon, which you can then get slight breakup dirt as you increase the guitar's volume.

Of course, the Archon shines with the Lead channel gain at ten o'clock or above, but the clean channel takes overdrive/dirt pedals very nicely, so you can always get that break-up dirt sound that way.

I'll have to try that again. I didn't like the way it sounded last time I tried that (awhile ago...) Maybe I'm just playing at too low of overall volume.

I hope that’s running a MkIII profile.
It was Plexi and 72 Marshall profiles from Michael Britt. Sadly, the MkIII profiles - or all the Mark profiles, for that - have been cr@p. Now I want to go listen to my SE245 video again…

Or profile it from a AxeFx…;)
What is your major malfunction, son? :p

Congrats on pulling the trigger! That’s gonna be a blast…literally!

Many thanks to all.
Late to this thread, but I think you made the right choice.

I have a Mk III, Tri-Axis, 5:25 Express, and a 100 Watt Archon in addition to a Mk5-25 head.

The Mk5-25 is my go to, it just easily has the sounds I want, esp through a couple of 1x12s. The 1x10 may sound a bit boxy, depending on the volume levels you go for.

It's also adorable.

Get to know how the tone knobs affect the character of the overdrive, and the EQ affects the overall sound. You should be able to dial in the tone in your head.

Excited for you to get it, let us know how it goes!

Late to this thread, but I think you made the right choice.

I have a Mk III, Tri-Axis, 5:25 Express, and a 100 Watt Archon in addition to a Mk5-25 head.

The Mk5-25 is my go to, it just easily has the sounds I want, esp through a couple of 1x12s. The 1x10 may sound a bit boxy, depending on the volume levels you go for.

It's also adorable.

Get to know how the tone knobs affect the character of the overdrive, and the EQ affects the overall sound. You should be able to dial in the tone in your head.

Excited for you to get it, let us know how it goes!
I’m excited as well! I’m a little, uhm, apprehensive maybe? I’m most of the way through the manual, (I elected to RTFM, in conflict with the usual “we don’t need no stinking manuals!” approach). Lots of info, and an interaction between the TMB controls, gain, master and presence that seems it will require some thoughtful study and practice. It should be fun! I’ll get it on Tuesday, just in time for a 4 week run of 7 days a week work. Sigh… I’m too old for that Shiite!

I’m excited as well! I’m a little, uhm, apprehensive maybe? I’m most of the way through the manual, (I elected to RTFM, in conflict with the usual “we don’t need no stinking manuals!” approach). Lots of info, and an interaction between the TMB controls, gain, master and presence that seems it will require some thoughtful study and practice. It should be fun! I’ll get it on Tuesday, just in time for a 4 week run of 7 days a week work. Sigh… I’m too old for that Shiite!
Mesa Boogie manuals are some of the best ones out there.
Fryette / original VHT manuals are also equally as good.

If and when I get around to getting a cab - Mesa makes a matched 1x10 that is quite light. If I want that route, they make both an open and closed back version. Does it make sense to go with a closed, since the amp is open?

same question for a 1x12. The mini recto and Thiele cabs seem interesting, as do the compact wide body. In the end, I may well choose based on size and weight.

this all got stirred up when a reverb vendor offered a deal on a 1x10 on my watch list. I let the offer expire, but it got me thinking which would be the better choice.

Just get the amp in hand then look for options. You will be busy for quite a while!

Bear in mind, the fundamental input buffering on Marks makes them finicky about pedals out front. I spent a bunch of time with gobs of dirt and distortion pedals with my III. By “a bunch” I mean closer to 20 years! Some stuff worked great with channel 1, others with ch 2, but very few with ch 3. Ended up with some fancy stuff that can be heard in the SE245 video, which I like a lot. Don’t need everything turned up to 11, but so,times it’s just whatcha gotta do!

I’m anxious now too!

If and when I get around to getting a cab - Mesa makes a matched 1x10 that is quite light. If I want that route, they make both an open and closed back version. Does it make sense to go with a closed, since the amp is open?

same question for a 1x12. The mini recto and Thiele cabs seem interesting, as do the compact wide body. In the end, I may well choose based on size and weight.

this all got stirred up when a reverb vendor offered a deal on a 1x10 on my watch list. I let the offer expire, but it got me thinking which would be the better choice.

Did you get a head or a combo amp?

Either way, I'm a big fan of 2x12 cabinets and I think you should look into one of those instead of a 1x12 :cool:

Ouch! You work in the oil and gas industry or something?

Those kinds of demands should be illegal.
Hahahaha! Bingo. On the equipment repair side. Shop engineer for a repair facility. About 90% refinery customers.

Did you get a head or a combo amp?

Either way, I'm a big fan of 2x12 cabinets and I think you should look into one of those instead of a 1x12 :cool:

1x10 combo. The 2x12 idea is interesting. Would you make the same comment knowing I’ll very likely never play outside my house, and why? Honest and curious and serious question.

That sucks!

However it will be like a NAD New Amp Day, all over again.

A New Amp/Cab/Attenuator Day (NACAD), which is what you will be after the next month, would be great. With pics please :D

Back