Got a new PRS speaker cabinet for my HDRX 20...

No! I never was able to get the back off of this %#@!! thing. It's like it's glued in.
Is PRS making those 1x12s in China now? Wouldn't surprise me, given the problem you're having with it.

The glue might have been still wet on the tolex when they screwed the back on. I'd make a warranty claim and have it replaced. The fact that the cab can't be serviced as designed is a defect. Well, as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

Last edited:
Is PRS making those 1x12s in China now? Wouldn't surprise me, given the problem you're having with it.

The glue might have been still wet on the tolex when they screwed the back on. I'd make a warranty claim and have it replaced. The fact that the cab can't be serviced as designed is a defect. Well, as far as I'm concerned, anyway.
I doubt that I'll do that.

But it is a PITA that the back cannot be removed.

It's Hermetically sealed like an Egyption Tomb!

Last edited:
I doubt that I'll do that.

But it is a PITA that the back cannot be removed.

It's Hermetically sealed like an Egyption Tomb!
Just drill a hole, insert a candle, and remember the words of Howard Carter, who discovered Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922:

"With trembling hands, I made a tiny breach in the upper left hand corner... widening the hole a little, I inserted the candle and peered in... at first I could see nothing, the hot air escaping from the chamber causing the candle to flicker. Presently, details of the room emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues and gold – everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment – an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by – I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand in suspense any longer, inquired anxiously "Can you see anything?", it was all I could do to get out the words "Yes, wonderful things".

Who knows what you'll find!

Just drill a hole, insert a candle, and remember the words of Howard Carter, who discovered Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922:

"With trembling hands, I made a tiny breach in the upper left hand corner... widening the hole a little, I inserted the candle and peered in... at first I could see nothing, the hot air escaping from the chamber causing the candle to flicker. Presently, details of the room emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues and gold – everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment – an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by – I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand in suspense any longer, inquired anxiously "Can you see anything?", it was all I could do to get out the words "Yes, wonderful things".

Who knows what you'll find!
I'll find a Chinese Celestion speaker.

Maybe it'll be alongside a miniature of the legendary tomb of Qin Shi Huang, the first Chin Emperor of China?
More like Wun Huang Lo.

Before we get too carried away, I should say that those Chinese made "V" series Celestions sound pretty good.

Especially a pair.

There's one in this unopenable Chinese Puzzle Box of a speaker cabinet and I had two in my Blackstar Artist combo amp. The amp weighed a ton and i sold it but Warren Haynes plays through an Artist sometimes, and Waddy Wachtel tours with Stevie Nicks and uses them.

Anyway, the "V" 12" is one of the better OEM speakers to come along in a while.

Last edited:
More like Wun Huang Lo.

Before we get too carried away, I should say that those Chinese made "V" series Celestions sound pretty good.

Especially a pair.

There's one in this unopenable Chinese Puzzle Box of a speaker cabinet and I had two in my Blackstar Artist combo amp. The amp weighed a ton and i sold it but Warren Haynes plays through an Artist sometimes, and Waddy Wachtel tours with Stevie Nicks and uses them.

Anyway, the "V" 12" is one of the better OEM speakers to come along in a while.
I have two PRS 2x12 cabs (the 'big mouth' that I use with the HXDA and the DG cab, both Maryland made) that use the V12 speakers. I don't know if PRS used British or Chinese-made V12s in 2014. Being a lazy layabout, I don't open up a cab unless something's broken.

The cabs sound great, regardless.

I'm fundamentally opposed to feeding the Chinese economy. Not only for political reasons, though that's important to me since they and their goose-stepping soldiery seem intent on threatening the rest of the world, and supporting some of the worst, most aggressive regimes on the planet.

They routinely violate patents, copyrights, and international trade agreements. And I don't generally like the quality of what's made there. So whenever possible, I buy USA or European goods.

Every time we get a Chinese 'bargain, great for the money' item, we pay in countless other ways.

I wouldn't consider a Chinese-made amp, and that's where Blackstar amps are made. I get that they're very cheap compared to US goods, and I don't care. I'd rather support the folks in the US, UK and Europe when it comes to amps. Well, when it comes to everything, really.

There are some products that are hard to find made elsewhere, especially consumer electronics. So sometimes I'm stuck. But it's not a choice I make willingly.

I don't tell other people what to do, so this isn't an exhortation. Just explaining my motivation.

Last edited:
I have two PRS 2x12 cabs (the 'big mouth' that I use with the HXDA and the DG cab, both Maryland made) that use the V12 speakers. I don't know if PRS used British or Chinese-made V12s in 2014. Being a lazy layabout, I don't open up a cab unless something's broken.

The cabs sound great, regardless.

I'm fundamentally opposed to feeding the Chinese economy. Not only for political reasons, though that's important to me since they and their goose-stepping soldiery seem intent on threatening the rest of the world, and supporting some of the worst, most aggressive regimes on the planet.

They routinely violate patents, copyrights, and international trade agreements. And I don't generally like the quality of what's made there. So whenever possible, I buy USA or European goods.

Every time we get a Chinese 'bargain, great for the money' item, we pay in countless other ways.

I wouldn't consider a Chinese-made amp, and that's where Blackstar amps are made. I get that they're very cheap compared to US goods, and I don't care. I'd rather support the folks in the US, UK and Europe when it comes to amps. Well, when it comes to everything, really.

There are some products that are hard to find made elsewhere, especially consumer electronics. So sometimes I'm stuck. But it's not a choice I make willingly.

I don't tell other people what to do, so this isn't an exhortation. Just explaining my motivation.
Besides, the UK made Heritage G12H30 sounds better. No brainer. After owning lots of Celestions, the G12H30 and G12Alnico (either blue or silver) are my my favorites.

I'm entirely sympathetic to the Tibetan people and their struggle since the Chinese takeover.

It's next to impossible to avoid all Chinese products though.

My Christmas lights were made in China. Most Christmas products are.

How's that for irony?

Last edited:
Besides, the UK made Heritage G12H30 sounds better. No brainer. After owning lots of Celestions, the G12H30 and G12Alnico (either blue or silver) are my my favorites.

I'm entirely sympathetic to the Tibetan people and their struggle since the Chinese takeover.

It's next to impossible to avoid all Chinese products though.

My Christmas lights were made in China. Most Christmas profucts are.

How's that for irony?
That really is ironic!

Tibet is bad enough, but it's the tip of the iceberg. How about their singlehandedly propping up the Russian economy to get around sanctions, while we and our allies are spending billions to stop the worst European aggression since WWII in Ukraine?

They're using the $582.8 billion that we willingly and cynically send them to buy their cheap goods, to do that and to suppress Hong Kong, threaten Taiwan, create military islands in the South China Sea, support North Korea, Iran, and other bad actors. We're by far their largest trading partner, over double what anyone else sends them in business.

And they have the unmitigated gall to treat us with enmity.

In our insatiable desire for cheap goods, we are feeding a very nasty monster. Like all addicts, we are suckers.

Last edited:
That really is ironic!

Tibet is bad enough, but it's the tip of the iceberg. How about their singlehandedly propping up the Russian economy to get around sanctions, while we and our allies are spending billions to stop the worst European aggression since WWII in Ukraine?

They're using the $582.8 billion that we willingly and cynically send them to buy their cheap goods, to do that and to suppress Hong Kong, threaten Taiwan, create military islands in the South China Sea, support North Korea, Iran, and other bad actors. We're by far their largest trading partner, over double what anyone else sends them in business.

And they have the unmitigated gall to treat us with enmity.

In our insatiable desire for cheap goods, we are feeding a very nasty monster. Like all addicts, we are suckers.
Hear hear. And in a couple of years we will be billed for being suckers. Hopefully we were awake enough to make sure we are not depending on them to much. Like we in Europe were with russian natural gas.

Hear hear. And in a couple of years we will be billed for being suckers. Hopefully we were awake enough to make sure we are not depending on them to much. Like we in Europe were with russian natural gas.
I fear it's going to be difficult to disengage, but iI sure agree.

You can tune a port but you can't tuna fish
Probably true. But I'm going to put this cab on Reverb unharmed.

My brother Bruce, owner of Mission Amps in Denver, is going to visit next week and he's bringing my Matchless 2x12 with two 60's Celestion G12 alnico speakers taken from an old Vox Super Beatle.

It's exactly same size as a Vox AC30, has an open back. Used to run an AC30 head through it.

That's my favorite speaker cab and he's been keeping it for me (and most of my amp collection and non-PRS guitars) while I've been trying to recover from an illness that almost wiped me out last year.

I'm better now, going to put some gigs together and do some recordings, and I need my stuff back.

Last edited:
My HDRX 20 is fantastic through an open back 1x12 with an Alnico Cream. They definitely have the oomph to push an open back cab.

The V-type is actually a great speaker, in the right application I put it right up there with nicer speakers, but a closed back cab is the place I don’t love it. Open back with a Silver Sky through my a sweet 16, fantastic.

That being said, your Matchless cab is amazing! I bet those 60’s Celestions are something else. I’ve kinda turned into a speaker nut, and 60’s era speakers are something to drool over!

I bet those 60’s Celestions are something else. I’ve kinda turned into a speaker nut, and 60’s era speakers are something to drool over!
If you want some very authentic-sounding speakers that sound like '60s models, Scumback makes clones of several of the classic Celestion models from the '60s, including the Silver Bells, the Blues, the early Greenbacks, etc.

I'm not fond of the name chosen for the company, but the speakers are the real deal.

Back