The HDRX 20 watt head is in!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Heading over to Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, Colorado right now to pick it up.

Just got the call.

You know I'll keep you posted...

But I'll try to curb my enthusiasm a day or two so I can give an objective review.

I'll be comparing it to my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb which has the same Celestion G12H30 speaker I have in the Matchless one 12 cab I'll be using the HDRX 20 watt with.

I like it. It has a lot of muscle.

It really benefits from a little reverb and delay. Sounds dry otherwise.

I use a TC Hall of Fame II for reverb and Strymon Timeline for delay.

Takes my EGO compressor, Dover Drive and Hot Cake overdrive pedals really well!

Those two are overdrive pedals that get some fuzz when the gain is advanced whereas I think of the Klon as being a "leave it on all the time" boost pedal.

So far, it doesn't seem to like my Klon KTR as much as the Hot Cake or Dover Drive...but we're just getting to know each other.

Got some killer Eric Clapton with Cream tones and this using only my Silver Sky...not a guitar with humbuckers.

Does the Eric Johnson violin tone using the Dover Drive very well.

Also gets tap harmonics I've never been able to get before. Like the high B harmonic when I tap at the ninth fret of the G string, or high D# harmonic at the 9th fret of the B string.

The HDRX 20 has a British tone to my ears but doesn't really sound like any Marshall I've owned.

More like a cross between a Fender and a Marshall or a Fender and a Vox.

It makes my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb sound small and polite.

So far the HDRX 20 has a more "masculine" sound. A lot of muscle.

Seems to like overdrive pedals to push it, especially at lower volumes, which is fine with me. That's why I have pedals!

But it's brand new so I'm not going to make any real judgements for awhile other than to say that I really like it and I'm super glad I bought it!

Last edited:
The HDRX 20 has a British tone to my ears but doesn't really sound like any Marshall I've owned.
As I understood it, the HDRX is based on an amp Jimi had a shop in LA mod for him, so it should sound different from a stock Marshall. Am I incorrect?

As I understood it, the HDRX is based on an amp Jimi had a shop in LA mod for him, so it should sound different from a stock Marshall. Am I incorrect?
What I think I read is that Paul and Doug Sewell were able to closely inspect one of Jimi's Marshalls in the Hendrix museum that he had used at Woodstock and which had been modified to make it hold up better on the road.

The HDRX 20 uses 5881/6L6 output tubes instead of EL34's so right there will be a difference.

I'm digging the amp though. It takes pedals beautifully.

I'm glad I bought it and I can't wait for a gig to show it off.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!
When you get more at home with it, I’d love to hear a brief comment comparing the cleans of the HDRX to the DR. I’m kinda captivated by the HDRX. My current amp is a Mesa Mkv25 which has a wonderful clean, a fat clean and a great crunch. I also have a UA Dream pedal which does a nice job into my little powered monitor rig. I’m trying to convince myself that there is no reason to add the HDRX 20 to my growing pile ‘o stuff. I’m thinking I have the same ground covered slightly differently with the Mkv25.

Congratulations!!!
When you get more at home with it, I’d love to hear a brief comment comparing the cleans of the HDRX to the DR. I’m kinda captivated by the HDRX. My current amp is a Mesa Mkv25 which has a wonderful clean, a fat clean and a great crunch. I also have a UA Dream pedal which does a nice job into my little powered monitor rig. I’m trying to convince myself that there is no reason to add the HDRX 20 to my growing pile ‘o stuff. I’m thinking I have the same ground covered slightly differently with the Mkv25.

The clean sounds of the HDRX 20 seem to be more textured and slightly grainy compared to the polished clean tones of my Fenders.

But like you said, it's new and I'm not quite at home with it yet.

Lots to learn!

Last edited:
I had to learn to turn down the mids to get rid of the grainy clean tones , also did not use the mid or bright boost.

I think I have the Treble and mids at 4 ( below noon ) ish Bass is pretty low ( 2 or 3 )
Master , and both channels at a bit over 2 and raise and lower all together or just the master.

I had to learn to turn down the mids to get rid of the grainy clean tones , also did not use the mid or bright boost.

I think I have the Treble and mids at 4 ( below noon ) ish Bass is pretty low ( 2 or 3 )
Master , and both channels at a bit over 2 and raise and lower all together or just the master.
Not the best tone setting for soloing though. But for cleans that's a good idea.

I don't think sparkling, shimmering Fender Twin Reverb cleans is what this amp was designed for.

It's built to rock and it sure does.

Played it a bunch yesterday.

For me, putting a great overdrive like a Hot Cake in front of it, as well as a good reverb pedal and delay, is a must.

Then it just explodes with tone.

Been leaving my Wampler Ego compressor always ON too, but more for a smallish amount of clean boost than to squeeze the signal.

I know I said I wouldn't gush too early in the trial process, but I LOVE it.

And I haven't even plugged a guitar with humbuckers into it yet.

Been playing my Strats and modded SE Silver Sky.

In all honesty, it sounds best with my SE Silver Sky that's been modded with Chubtone '61 pickups.

These pickups have slightly lower output and slightly less sizzle to the treble than the stock SE pickups.

They remind me of the latest pickups being used in the USA Silver Sky, which I also like a lot. Especially with an overdrive pedal like the Hot Cake or Dover Drive.

Less sizzle creates a smooth, sweet tone more like Clapton's tone with Cream or Eric Johnson's violin tone.

Maybe that's what's behind PRS's tweaking of the Silver Sky pickups for lower output and less sizzle to the treble?

Last edited:
I run a line 6 HXFX in front to the HDRX so amp is set pretty clean then I have a Compressor boost , 2 ODs , Fuzz and revert and delay and a couple of my analog OD pedals juts for fun
Not too much different from what I have in front of my HDRX 20.

TC Tuner>Wampler Compressor>Klon KTR>Love Pedal Dover Drive>Crowther Hot Cake>Strymon Delay>TC Reverb

That's what I'm waiting to hear. I'm losing patience with single coils...
I have some great overdrive pedals.

Klon KTR, Hot Cake and Dover Drive.

My Strats and Silver Sky sound great through them any of them into this amp, but especially with the Hot Cake or Dover Drive.

I also have a Wampler Ego compressor that's set for a subtle boost, and that's almost always on in front of my pedals.

That thickens things up too.

I get the fat tone of a humbucker kind of like how Jimmy Page's Tele sounded like a Les Paul the way he recorded it on the first Led Zep album.

You'd swear he was using a Les Paul...but it was a Tele.

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for from a single coil, this amp and a Dover Drive or Hot Cake can definitely do it.

I've been having such a good time with my single coil guitars through this amp that I haven't gotten around to plugging in my CE22 or CU22.

I have some great overdrive pedals.

Klon KTR, Hot Cake and Dover Drive.

My Strats and Silver Sky sound great through them any of them into this amp, but especially with the Hot Cake or Dover Drive.

I also have a Wampler Ego compressor that's set for a subtle boost, and that's almost always on in front of my pedals.

That thickens things up too.

I get the fat tone of a humbucker kind of like how Jimmy Page's Tele sounded like a Les Paul the way he recorded it on the first Led Zep album.

You'd swear he was using a Les Paul...but it was a Tele.

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for from a single coil, this amp and a Dover Drive or Hot Cake can definitely do it.

I've been having such a good time with my single coil guitars through this amp that I haven't gotten around to plugging in my CE22 or CU22.
Technically speaking, I think “You Shook Me” was a Flying V

I'll get more time in with mine this weekend and report back.

I have some of the same pedals as the previous poster.

Back