Best cab for HDRX 20

Anthony88

Hey guys

Just picking up the HDRX 20 this weekend, but don't yet have a cab for it. All local stores are sold out of the PRS 1x12 cab, so before i order online I wanted to see if there's other options you guys like!

Found a marshall origin 2x12 for cheaper.. but I know those amps are going to be a lot cheaper made

Any other Marshall amps? Or other brands?

I'm leaning towards just getting the PRS 1x12 but just curious what you guys think

Boy, that's a can of worms. LOL Depends way more on what tones you want, than what cab is "right" for the amp. I have had a decent variety of amps over the last few years. Not like some guys here, but a bunch of Mesa, PRS, Vox, etc. I almost always prefer every one of them with the same cab/speakers. What that means (to me) is that your choice of speaker and cab is AT LEAST as important as your choice of amp. I have said here before, that I wish I had a particular cab/speaker combo before I sold a few of those amps, just because EVERYTHING sounds better with it so I wonder how good they might have sounded.

If you get a decent cab, you can always change the speaker. I'd suggest something like an Avatar, and that would allow you to choose the speaker. If you aren't yet sure what speakers you prefer, then you could still go with an Avatar and just choose a good speaker, or you could just order the PRS and in either case, use it for a while and see if you want to try other speakers.

However, before I'd even try to suggest a particular speaker, I'd want to know what guitars you play, what tones you prefer, how you intend to use the amp (high or low volume?, pedals for gain? gig or small room? etc. so I could maybe suggest a speaker to try first.

Hendrix… one of these with Greenbacks ought to do it…

TDYYJtD.jpg

I have a 1982b cab with UK Gbacks.

It doesn't sound as good as I remember gbacks being.

The struggle is real man.....
It can be odd, sometimes that definitely happens. I’ve no idea why though. That woody resonance they have in a sealed 4x12 is classic rock in a box to me. These are all the original UK made ones, though I never played the Chinese ones… there might be no sound difference.

2x12 cabs are so much handier, but I only recall one homemade cab that sounded like the 4x12. As I look at my writing above, I realize I am totally seat-of-the-pants in finding my tones. Lol

It can be odd, sometimes that definitely happens. I’ve no idea why though. That woody resonance they have in a sealed 4x12 is classic rock in a box to me. These are all the original UK made ones, though I never played the Chinese ones… there might be no sound difference.

2x12 cabs are so much handier, but I only recall one homemade cab that sounded like the 4x12. As I look at my writing above, I realize I am totally seat-of-the-pants in finding my tones. Lol
I have a 1960a cab G12T-75s that sounds pretty good.

It has single input and not the stereo inputs

If you want something beyond average, try something different, like a Barefaced Reformer 112 or a Kammler Mini-Kai (1×10) or Kammler Mono-Kai (1×12).
Both cabinet manufacturers offer cab with 3D sound. In terms of Kammler: 2024 will be the last year of production.
With both cab designs you don't even need to put the mic directly on the baffle.

Ok, this is the "internet parrot" version of my recommendation. I have never tried them yet, but hear many rave reviews of the Scumback speakers. A couple guys I know and who have put up samples of playing, etc., are pretty much "Scumback only" users now. One is Big Mike from TGP. He has gone to nothing but Scumbacks and just swears by them, as do many others.

I was dead set on trying a pair are maybe more (a couple models) a couple years ago, but got tired of the cycle of buying new speakers and it taking me a year to break them in and see how they really sounded. Scumbacks are broken in at the shop though.

So after looking at them for several years, I went and bought several new cabs. The idea was break them in, see how I like what's there, and then replace them with Scumbacks. I got 3 new cabs in about a year, and I already had 3-4 other speakers not in cabs, that I needed to try. By the time I had broken them all in and made a few swaps to test the others, the price of the Scumbacks had gone up significantly, and I was only playing my amps maybe 1-2 times a month, and mostly playing modelers since most playing is after the wife goes to bed. So while I could afford to get them, I was playing the amps so little I put it on the back burner. Unfortunately, it has stayed there. Between not playing the amps very loud enough, and eyeballing new modeling options, I just haven't pulled the trigger on the speakers. Every time I think about it I think "I need to just contact Jim and order at least two for one of the cabs." And then I just don't do it. Something else comes along or whatever. I was convinced that the Silver Sky and HDRX would make me one to speaker up one cab just for that guitar/amp setup. So my latest "I need too" is now that I have the HDRX20, I need to order at least one for use with it. (all my cabs are 1x or 2x).

Last edited:
Anything with a V-Type will probably work, and there are lots of cabs that have them. Otherwise, a cab with a Creamback of any type would also be a great choice, but the only popular brands I know of making Creamback loaded cabs are the PRS HDRX 2x12 and Friedman in their 1x12’s.

Ok, this is the "internet parrot" version of my recommendation. I have never tried them yet, but hear many rave reviews of the Scumback speakers. A couple guys I know and who have put up samples of playing, etc., are pretty much "Scumback only" users now. One is Big Mike from TGP. He has gone to nothing but Scumbacks and just swears by them, as do many others.

I was dead set on trying a part are maybe more (a couple models) a couple years ago, but got tired of the cycle of buying new speakers and it taking me a year to break them in and see how they really sounded. Scumbacks are broken in at the shop though.

So after looking at them for several years, I went and bought several new cabs. The idea was break them in, see how I like what's there, and then replace them with Scumbacks. I got 3 new cabs in about a year, and I already had 3-4 other speakers not in cabs, that I needed to try. By the time I had broken them all in and made a few swaps to test the others, the price of the Scumbacks had gone up significantly, and I was only playing my amps maybe 1-2 times a month, and mostly playing modelers since most playing is after the wife goes to bed. So while I could afford to get them, I was playing the amps so little I put it on the back burner. Unfortunately, it has stayed there. Between not playing the amps very loud enough, and eyeballing new modeling options, I just haven't pulled the trigger on the speakers. Every time I think about it I think "I need to just contact Jim and order at least two for one of the cabs." And then I just don't do it. Something else comes along or whatever. I was convinced that the Silver Sky and HDRX would make me one to speaker up one cab just for that guitar/amp setup. So my latest "I need too" is now that I have the HDRX20, I need to order at least one for use with it. (all my cabs are 1x or 2x).
I have a 1960a cab at my shop that has G12T-75s but will most likely use that cab for different speakers.

All of my cabs have different speakers for variety of tones and I'd love to try some scumbacks but they have gotten expensive.

I have a Mesa roadking cab that I'll probably sell.

I have a 1960a cab at my shop that has G12T-75s but will most likely use that cab for different speakers.

All of my cabs have different speakers for variety of tones and I'd love to try some scumbacks but they have gotten expensive.

I have a Mesa roadking cab that I'll probably sell.
Yes, I have to say, I'm kicking my own butt for not buying at least a pair just a couple years ago when they were $129. :mad:

Back