MT15 head; will my cab do the job?

Neil Forsberg

Hello guys.
My Sonzera 20 died for the third time in six months, so I'll kick it out the door.
Anyway, I ordered a MT15 head. Got a cab with 1x12 Celestion Greenback g12. Will the MT15 and Greenback speaker play well together?
(haven´t got much time to fiddle around, ´cos I got a gig in 5 days....)

Tonally, yes, although not the exact “MT” rock sound, it’s a good amp, and any good amp sounds nice with a Greenback!

That said, it is a powerful little guy, and if you’re pushing the amp hard, long term, I’d find a higher power rated speaker. It’ll probably be fine for a gig or two unless you’re really punishing it.

Tonally, yes, although not the exact “MT” rock sound, it’s a good amp, and any good amp sounds nice with a Greenback!

That said, it is a powerful little guy, and if you’re pushing the amp hard, long term, I’d find a higher power rated speaker. It’ll probably be fine for a gig or two unless you’re really punishing it.
Thanks a bunch, Andy!

I've got a MT-15 and I run it into this Peavey cab with Greenbacks: https://peavey.com/product/212-6-2x12-guitar-cabinet/
It sounds good for sure. I definitely agree with andy474x that you'll want a higher powered speaker like a V30 or Creamback if you're driving it hard. I'm looking at picking up another 2x12 with V30s so I can run both my 6505mh and my MT-15. Should sound massive.

Hello guys.
My Sonzera 20 died for the third time in six months, so I'll kick it out the door.
Anyway, I ordered a MT15 head. Got a cab with 1x12 Celestion Greenback g12. Will the MT15 and Greenback speaker play well together?
(haven´t got much time to fiddle around, ´cos I got a gig in 5 days....)
Shoot.....I have an mt15 for sale.

"My Sonzera 20 died for the third time in six months, so I'll kick it out the door."

Any word on the problem with the Sonzera 20? I'm thinking strongly of buying one.... Any idea what the failure was? Also, was this one of the newer Sonzera's? Or the original version?

Remember, too, that if you REALLY break in that greenback you'll get all the killer classic sounds from when 100 watt Plexis were BATTERING those "100 watt" 4x12 cabs in the dinosaur days!! If you want that classic tone, break that speaker in!!! If you want tight and modern, get a more efficient speaker (or add something to it - like a V30).

Remember, too, that if you REALLY break in that greenback you'll get all the killer classic sounds from when 100 watt Plexis were BATTERING those "100 watt" 4x12 cabs in the dinosaur days!! If you want that classic tone, break that speaker in!!! If you want tight and modern, get a more efficient speaker (or add something to it - like a V30).
Agree big time! I had 3 Greenbacks a few years back and sold all three because they were too crispy sounding. At the time, I thought it was kind of a catch 22... only handles 25 watts, but when not pounded, they won't break in. I had mostly 5-15 watt amps and just couldn't get them broken in. Once they do, you get that classic sound, but I gave up too soon. I gave up and sold them and have regretted it since.

Last edited:
Agree big time! I had 3 Greenbacks a few years back and sold all three because they were too crispy sounding. At the time, I thought it was kind of a catch 22... only handles 25 watts, but when not pounded, they won't break in. I had mostly 5-15 watt amps and just couldn't get them broke in. Once they do, you get that classic sound, but I gave up too soon. I gave up and sold them and have regretted it since.
100% agree. I loaded a marshall straight cab with UK gbacks and at first was disappointed.

Didn't sound like what I remembered.

I've been hammering this cab with my studio jcm800 head. Placing cab in different room and running amp hot.

I have noticed a difference, they are starting to soften up and sounding closer to what I remember.

I almost ditched these gbacks too. Glad I held out.

yes, that cab will work but you may have to try different cabs to get the sound you seek. i already had a regular prs 12" cab when i got my mt15 and it was ok but nothing great to my ears. then i tried the mt15 cab and it was golden.

Back