Favorite guitar cab?

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I've been on a cabinet kick these last 2 years. Been watching local ads for cheap marshall 4x12 cabinets, scored some super cheap unloaded and some loaded pretty cheap.

Right now I have four 1960a cabs, one 1982b cab and a peavey 6505.

I picked up a couple of 2x12 cabs daily cheap too.

The 6505 has UK V30s. 1960 w/UK greenbacks, two 1960 w/G12T-75s one with stock wiring and stereo circuit and one with G12T-75s but rewired for vintage and no stereo circuit. 1960 with G12L-35s and finally 1982b cab with four different speakers with each speaker having its own input jack.

The 1982 can have any one at 16 ohm. Any two at 8 ohm or I made a harness that runs all four para/series at 16 ohm.

My wife was out of town a month ago so I took the opportunity to really compare these cabs at volume.

The 1982 cab hasn't worked out like I thought it would. It has a G12-65, UK greenback, alnico gold and a fat Jimmy and using one speaker just doesn't trip my trigger. I really thought it would be cool to mic each speaker and switch at will or blend them but just doesn't do much for me.

The G12L-35 cab is just too thin sounding.

I typically have liked greenbacks in the past but I play with less od these days and they didn't do it for me this time.

6505 with UK V30s is a little too harsh. Really bummed about that.

Both cabs with the 75s are my favorite but the one without stereo circuit sounds better to me. Seems to have a bit more presence or maybe stronger sound???

I'm going to have a couple days this weekend to really try my 2x12 cabs.

One is a custom build with celestion creambacks the other I'm not sure the manufacturer but I've put Weber Silverbell Alnicos in it. Weber sound good what little I've played it.

Been using my jcm800 studio head for these tests and so far my mahogany ce22 with 5310s just fits that amp so well. Sounds really good but I am a 5310 worshipper so there's that.

I have some more G12-65s coming so I may load them in the 1982b cab and see what happens.

It is a fun experiment!

I am DONE with 4x12 cabinets! DONE!!!! These days I prefer 2x12's. I Really like the MESA vertical 2x12's but at the moment, I have the Marshall 1936 cabinets (which I also like a lot).
BLISTERTONES_OldAndNew.jpg

I am DONE with 4x12 cabinets! DONE!!!! These days I prefer 2x12's. I Really like the MESA vertical 2x12's but at the moment, I have the Marshall 1936 cabinets (which I also like a lot).
BLISTERTONES_OldAndNew.jpg

I hear you! I’ve been preferring 2x12’s for a long time now. They have some girth to the sound, but also just a lot more practical. The tonal balance is maybe a little more direct or focused sounding than a 4x12. Not that the 4x12 doesn’t have its place, but I’ve heard lots of guys get in trouble using 4x12’s where a lot less cab would do just fine.

My two favorites are my PRS paisley covered pine open back 2x12, which I loaded with Alnico Cream and Ruby speakers, and a PRS SE 2x12 (from the original SE amps) which is a great size cab, and has a pair of Eminence OEM drivers that are a lot like V30’s, but more forgiving to dial in, easy to get a great sound without as much of the strong V30 tendencies.

I want to have one favorite cabinet, but find that cabinets and the speakers therein are such important tone-shapers that my four amps need four different cabinets. I any case, here's what I'm using for each amp:

HXDA - PRS Stealth Big Mouth closed back 2x12, V-30s.

DG30 - DG pine ported 2x12, V-30s.

Fillmore 50 - Mesa California Tweed open back 2x12, Jensen Alnico Blackbirds

Lone Star Combo - Open back 2x12, Black Shadow 12" speakers (Celestion-made in England, a Mess-spec Classic Lead whose etiology I forget).

I like 2x12s, and have always played through them since I was a kid. They work for me, I like the swirl. Depending on the needs of a project, sometimes I leave them on the floor, sometimes I lift them up on stands.

I want to have one favorite cabinet, but find that cabinets and the speakers therein are such important tone-shapers that my four amps need four different cabinets. I any case, here's what I'm using for each amp:

HXDA - PRS Stealth Big Mouth closed back 2x12, V-30s.

DG30 - DG pine ported 2x12, V-30s.

Fillmore 50 - Mesa California Tweed open back 2x12, Jensen Alnico Blackbirds

Lone Star Combo - Open back 2x12, Black Shadow 12" speakers (Celestion-made in England, a Mess-spec Classic Lead whose etiology I forget).

I like 2x12s, and have always played through them since I was a kid. They work for me, I like the swirl. Depending on the needs of a project, sometimes I leave them on the floor, sometimes I lift them up on stands.
I’m guessing by the time I do the same with my mesa and class 5 Marshall I’ll find that they prefer their own cab as well but w shall see.

I think there is another problem I suffer with.

When I build a tone it seems like it takes me a while to decide if I like it or not. If I don’t give it enough play time then it doesn’t get a fair shake and I’ll move on.

I need to stop doing that.

This one. Single Celestion Vintage 12"

For gigging I still need to use my 2x12 GK cab, but I've been a home studio rat since before the pandemic and have gotten tuned into the punchy sound it gives, and I can get a more authentic mid-heavy Jazz tone.

I think there is another problem I suffer with.

When I build a tone it seems like it takes me a while to decide if I like it or not. If I don’t give it enough play time then it doesn’t get a fair shake and I’ll move on.

I need to stop doing that.
You are not alone!

I really want to shed the pain of moving a 4x12 around but I always go back to the 4x12 sound.

What I like about this setup I have here is that I can use both cabinets at the same time which will give me 4 speakers... two V-30's and two regular Celestion's at the same time.

Mesa Rectifier cabs have been my gold standard of sorts, for years. I use the traditional version. Regarding speakers, tough to go wrong with the old V-30's.

Today I am working on some material I'll have to play for a show in August. The cab loaded with G12L-35s was sitting next to amp rack so i just plugged into it instead of moving stuff around.

I got some older celestion 15 ohm 35s really cheap and took a chance. I had dismissed this cab as so so but as I worked with it today I'm finding some love in it. Kind of forcing myself to work with it.

I am pleasantly surprised and will keep working with it and see what happens.

Maybe this will turn into my favorite cab????

Back