MT15 Cabinet; 1x12? Speaker choice?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by bigcountry, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JJJ

JJJ asleep

4x12s look cooler

BrianC likes this.
  2. TroyBaer

TroyBaer Really knows where his towel is.

Surprisingly, not all that much. I was considering picking up a second one for a while, but they rarely pop up on Reverb or eBay (maybe ~3-4 a year) and usually go for the ~$350-400 that they cost new. I have seen a couple come through the used inventory of the Columbus and Cincy GCs, but those have usually been beat to crap.

3. watelessness

watelessness New Member

I have the vertical 2x12s and an open-back 1x12. I also tried closed-back 1x12s and found that i liked the MT15 cabinet best with that amp

4. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Huh, they must have become more popular while I wasn’t looking!

They are a darn nice cab. Different flavor speakers, but if you find an amp you like with them, very cool. It’s like the high end of a G12H, mids of a Brit V30, lows... not sure on that one, but tight and not excessive.

TroyBaer likes this.
  5. TroyBaer

TroyBaer Really knows where his towel is.

A couple years ago I asked Eminence what is the most similar of their production speakers to the ones in SE 2x12s, and their response was something to the effect of "the 16-ohm Governor, only not really". It's a pretty unique speaker, and one that sounds really good with more modern amps like the Archon line and the MT15.

6. Brennen

Brennen New Member

I have tried 4 speakers with this amp in a 2x12 in varying combinations (all Celestions). Full disclosure I am not a V30 fan, and play metal in drop G#. Here is my ranking for these if its any help:
    1. Redback
    2. Creamback H75
    3. Classic Lead 80
    4. Vintage 30
    Currently in the 2x12 the Redback and Creamback are paired and compliment each other nicely. This amp can hit a 2x12 with no problem at all.