GASing for a Mesa Boogie Mark v

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
New guy here. I found a bit of info in a thread from last year, but figured it would be ok to start a one one with specific questions.

TL/DR - Mesa mark v 25 and 35 questions for a guy who wants one, but isn’t near a good enough guitar player to own one.

Background:
(Very) new player
SE Custom 22
I’ve wanted a Mesa since I was a kid, like 45+ years ago ‘cause Santana…
70’s, 80’s, 90’s rock, blues, scorpions, BOC, AC/DC…
Bedroom playing. I have a little black amp box, I’m ok getting an attenuator

Thoughts and Constraints
Pretty sure on the Mark series
Good sense says a v:25 combo
Future planning says head and speaker cab - theile, wide body 12 or recto 1x12
Good sense says v 25
Internet trash and desire says v 35 head, ‘cause better master volume, more versatile, extra cab clone model, and some features I probably won’t use, longer reverb tank.
Size says no v:35 combo
Budget says no v:90

Questions
How is the v:25 combo?
How is the v:25 head?
Is the v:35 head truly better, enough for the extra 10 lb and $200 to $300?
Cabinet recommendations?

Thanks all!

I have had a couple full size Mark V’s and a Mark V 25 and prefer the smaller one since I never get to open them up. I would go for a head and a recto 1x12. Killer cab and is tight sounding and matches perfect, the channel 1 crunch sound cranked with the eq kicked in……yummy. The combo is a 1x10 so for me it’s a no.

If you are playing at home, the 25 is plenty.
There are arguments for more power, but none of them are likely to matter to you.
You mentioned the Mark series, so I am compelled to note that the Mark V is much easier to dial in and retain your separate channel setting than previous editions.
Boogie combos have good speakers, so just get the combo and save yourself a cabinet decision.

Last edited:
The V:25 is not a bedroom amp, even at 1/2 power. I loved mine, but had to get rid of it because I could tell it was affecting my hearing. It's definitely a tweaker's amp. I found I was constantly turning dials, moving sliders, and flipping switches (but would always come back to my favorite 1 or 2 settings.) Fantastic amp, and the perfect pairing for a PRS guitar. Just too much (for me) as a home amp.

Thanks everyone.

Adding in - other recommendations for a good, versatile bedroom volume amp? Attenuator is ok if needed.

So far a yes and a no on the 25 combo, and not any real enthusiasm for the 35 head so far. There’s decent deals on both heads, less so on the combo right now.

Both the 35 and 25 are fine amps, though I had the 100W version.

The higher the output power, generally the higher the clean headroom and the tighter the bass. Those are the main arguments for higher power. I found the master volume on the 100W just fine, and for low volume work, I'd just switch it down to 10 W.

I've absolutely no idea if the 25 and 35 can be switched to lower output, so check before buying. But I'd probably never go below 35 W capability for an amp However, I'm not just starting out. And I wouldn't mind using a good attenuator if it was called for (I don't own one, because I don't mind playing at gig levels). The 100W version also has more tone options. Hey, if you're buying a Mesa, there's no reason NOT to get the 100W, given the ability of the 100 to go into 10W mode, other than money.

I'm sure everyone else here thinks I'm quite mad, but I'd get the 100.

Both the 35 and 25 are fine amps, though I had the 100W version.

The higher the output power, generally the higher the clean headroom and the tighter the bass. Those are the main arguments for higher power. I found the master volume on the 100W just fine, and for low volume work, I'd just switch it down to 10 W.

I've absolutely no idea if the 25 and 35 can be switched to lower output, so check before buying. But I'd probably never go below 35 W capability for an amp However, I'm not just starting out. And I wouldn't mind using a good attenuator if it was called for (I don't own one, because I don't mind playing at gig levels). The 100W version also has more tone options. Hey, if you're buying a Mesa, there's no reason NOT to get the 100W, given the ability of the 100 to go into 10W mode, other than money.

I'm sure everyone else here thinks I'm quite mad, but I'd get the 100.
Thank you and Agreed. Money primarily, weight secondary will likely keep me from going that way. Maybe.

You clearly have a lot of experience with many amps. My Mesa fixation is primarily nostalgia / emotional. Any recommendations for alternatives?

Thank you and Agreed. Money primarily, weight secondary will likely keep me from going that way. Maybe.

You clearly have a lot of experience with many amps. My Mesa fixation is primarily nostalgia / emotional. Any recommendations for alternatives?

I love the PRS CAD amps, including the still-current DG30 and the now-discontinued HXDA. In the Mesa line, I currently use the Lone Star 100W (of course, now discontinued but switchable down to 10W!), and the Fillmore 50, that's switchable down to 25 W and is a fantastic amp. The Fillmore may be the best amp (for me) that Mesa has come out with since the 1994 Tremoverb, but I'm not a high gain player, so take my advice with a grain of salt if you are a high gain player.

I've played Mesa (plus MANY other amps) for 30 years, so there's a bit of nostalgia at work for me, too.

Last edited:
I have had a couple full size Mark V’s and a Mark V 25 and prefer the smaller one since I never get to open them up. I would go for a head and a recto 1x12. Killer cab and is tight sounding and matches perfect, the channel 1 crunch sound cranked with the eq kicked in……yummy. The combo is a 1x10 so for me it’s a no.
Recto 1x12 slant or straight? Any idea if the 1x1w recto slant actually points the speaker up a bit, or just fires straight?

Owned Boogie amps since 1982 :) almost part of my soul. I played the 25 and 35 , 35 is way better IMHO BUT there can be only one search for a used MKV 90 , 3 channels instead of 2 , plays GREAT at a whisper or knock down the walls. Never say you are not worth good gear , cheaper to buy great gear once than rebuying over and over again.

IMG_6007 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

cheaper to buy great gear once than rebuying over and over again.

Easier on one's sanity, too.

On the other hand, you could be me. I've bought MANY of the same things over and over again!! :eek:

Oh yes, a lifetime of gear-sell-off regrets...followed by a second lifetime of gear-re-buys. Who says you only go around once? I've gone around a bunch of times! :p

Meantime, I agree with what you said about the Mk V 100.

Ditch the MkV and buy an Archon. Thank me later.
Hmmm, more to this story? Would love if you elaborated.

Owned Boogie amps since 1982 :) almost part of my soul. I played the 25 and 35 , 35 is way better IMHO BUT there can be only one search for a used MKV 90 , 3 channels instead of 2 , plays GREAT at a whisper or knock down the walls. Never say you are not worth good gear , cheaper to buy great gear once than rebuying over and over again.

IMG_6007 by

Easier on one's sanity, too.

On the other hand, you could be me. I've bought MANY of the same things over and over again!! :eek:

Oh yes, a lifetime of gear-sell-off regrets...followed by a second lifetime of gear-re-buys. Who says you only go around once? I've gone around a bunch of times! :p

Meantime, I agree with what you said about the Mk V 100.

Regarding the 90W Mk V - still at quiet volumes, but able to safely unleash - 1x12 or 2x12. Noting that in general, smaller and lighter is preferred. I’m almost 63, and none of my “people” are willing to schlep amps and gear, should the need arise.

New guy here. I found a bit of info in a thread from last year, but figured it would be ok to start a one one with specific questions.

TL/DR - Mesa mark v 25 and 35 questions for a guy who wants one, but isn’t near a good enough guitar player to own one.

Background:
(Very) new player
SE Custom 22
I’ve wanted a Mesa since I was a kid, like 45+ years ago ‘cause Santana…
70’s, 80’s, 90’s rock, blues, scorpions, BOC, AC/DC…
Bedroom playing. I have a little black amp box, I’m ok getting an attenuator

Thoughts and Constraints
Pretty sure on the Mark series
Good sense says a v:25 combo
Future planning says head and speaker cab - theile, wide body 12 or recto 1x12
Good sense says v 25
Internet trash and desire says v 35 head, ‘cause better master volume, more versatile, extra cab clone model, and some features I probably won’t use, longer reverb tank.
Size says no v:35 combo
Budget says no v:90

Questions
How is the v:25 combo?
How is the v:25 head?
Is the v:35 head truly better, enough for the extra 10 lb and $200 to $300?
Cabinet recommendations?

Thanks all!

I've got the Mark 5:25 head on an fully enclosed Recto 1x12 cabinet with NO desire to get the 35 watt version. The 25w is extremely versatile (like 6 different amps in 1) and it is LOUD AS F***!
Can't go wrong with it in my humble opinion.

I've played through a MK V 90 watt for the past 10 years, and it can still sound great at fairly low volume. I also sometimes hook it up to my Torpedo Captor X attenuator/cab sim, and then I can crank it silently. For a lower budget, watch for an old Mesa .50 Caliber +. Killer clean, killer Mesa lead tone, 50 Watts of headroom. I bought one new in 1989 and it was my main (and usually only) amp until I bought the MK V in 2012, when I sold it to a friend. Nice ones can be had well under $1000. I prefer 1X12 combos to keep them more portable, but I run a Mesa 4X12 cabinet as well at home and when I want really BIG sound.

Noting that in general, smaller and lighter is preferred. I’m almost 63, and none of my “people” are willing to schlep amps and gear, should the need arise.

Bah! I'm old enough to be your grandpa, and all my amps weigh a ton. :)

"Les, not everyone wants to hire Three Men and a Truck just to move their amps around."

"Bah! Cheapskates! " :p

Back