Ever Go Down A Rabbit Hole?

László

Too Many Notes
Right after dinner, I was browsing some sample libraries for my composing. I thought the Chinese Membrane Flute sounded pretty cool, but I had previously never gotten very deeply into knowing quite how they work..and...uh...hey, maybe there's a YouTube demo of one...

Never mind the sign saying, Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter This Rabbit Hole!

O my friends, I confess that I might as well have been lost on Neptune during those hours I will never get back, going down the Chinese Membrane Flute rabbit hole!

Oh, I was learning a little about their operation, the pros and cons of 'real' membranes vs paper membranes (you think NOS v new tubes are my thing, just ask me if using the right membrane and wrinkling it just right affects the breathiness of the tone), how to tune them, and so on.

Never mind that I don't play the Chinese Membrane Flute, and don't envision learning to play one. I played around with a flute in college and mostly learned that in spite of the attractiveness of the tone of the instrument, it wasn't going to be my thing.

Did I mention that the Chinese Membrane Flute is called a Dizi, pronounced differently depending on whether you're speaking Cantonese or Mandarin? In any case it's a beautiful sounding instrument, and I'm going to try to incorporate its sound into something I'll compose. Which is all well and good.

But I didn't need to know the whole story. ;)

And your recent rabbit holes are...?

My most recent rabbit hole (that I am still in) is the Axe FXIII that I purchased in December! And I should say even that is rabbit holes because there is the tones, the songs that can be made from tones I never imagined, the thousands of adjustments and modifications that can be made, the frequent updates with new amps and effects, etc. etc. etc. “I am not crazy; my reality is just different from yours." - The Chesire Cat

My most recent rabbit hole (that I am still in) is the Axe FXIII that I purchased in December! And I should say even that is rabbit holes because there is the tones, the songs that can be made from tones I never imagined, the thousands of adjustments and modifications that can be made, the frequent updates with new amps and effects, etc. etc. etc. “I am not crazy; my reality is just different from yours." - The Chesire Cat
My first Axe Fx was one of the most mind-blowing musical gear experiences I’ve ever had. I was lost in the weeds for months, and loved the exploration… just the scope of what you could do was jaw dropping. I eventually, as you do with regular guitars and amps, pared it down to a reasonable performing setup. But the size of that swimming pool is more like Lake Victoria. Good fun!

Yes, I went down a pretty deep one.
I was even warned and didn't listen.

"Hmmm, maybe I should upgrade just that one pedal..."

th

Starting a bathroom repair that has turned into a demoed-down-to-stud-and-concrete remodel. Some of this I knew how to do, some I am learning along the way. Not the same sort of rabbit hole, but knowing your recent experiences with building rehab makes me sure you understand the depths this can reach!
You are a hero for doing your own bathroom remodel. I am 100% sure I couldn't even begin to understand what the heck to do!
I can relate. I've been programming synthesizers for 35 years! Ya wouldn't believe the stuff that you can do with a good synth. A very, very deep rabbit hole to go down into, as I'm sure is true of the Axe FX.
My first Axe Fx was one of the most mind-blowing musical gear experiences I’ve ever had. I was lost in the weeds for months
I've been lost in the weeds of orchestral composer-land for two years. I have no idea what I'm doing, I just dig myself into a hole the gets deeper and deeper. At most points I'm in total darkness and wind up hating the result.

And there are also bad days. :)

This one time, at band camp. No sorry, wrong rabbit hole.

I was scanning through videos one night on Youtube, when I came across a family band doing covers of Ronnie Dio songs. They are called Liliac, and won a tv talent competition a few years back. Quite good by the way, if you like cheesy vamp metal. Anyway, that led me to watching all of Ronnie Dio's work all over again. Which in turn had me looking at all of his guitarists such as Blackmore, Cambell, Aldrich to name a few. That led to exploring a poster that calls her program The Charismatic Voice. This lively young lady explores the vocal stylings of various artists, then uses those videos as a teaching tool as she is a vocal coach. She was never exposed to heavy metal music growing up, or through her opera career, until she started this program. Someone, (not me) suggested she critique Dio. She did and she was absolutely amazed at how perfect Ronnies voice and singing style was. So, she has been through the entire library now, and started anylizing how fast Doug Aldrich can play guitar. So went down that rabbit hole too. Most recently she started critiqueing who else, but Liliac. So now were going back down that rabbit hole again.

Yeah rabbit holes are unavoidable for things I find interesting. Most recent one is our house which we assumed would need paint, appliances updated, and maybe new carpet. Turned in to a demo to the studs and joists plus replacing studs/joists in some places. It has been fun though.

Other previous rabbit holes

Dumble circuits
Air cooled Porsche 911s
American steam and diesel locomotives
European high speed rail systems
Wristwatches/clocks
Tractors
Crayfish
Guitar pickup construction

I think it's probably partially genetic. My dad is into woodworking (he's a machinist by trade) and he's super into hot wheels. His dad collected vintage tractors, lawnmowers, farm equipment, and liked WW2 books.

PRS guitars was a Rabbit hole for me. Once I was "in" I had to learn all the history, engineering concepts, factory tour vids, old articles from '86 etc. There is a lot to PRS historically that leads to its dedication to quality and customer service.

Also building effect pedals and analog synths.

Good topic Les! Chinese membrane flutes sound interesting...pun intended.

Without knowing it at the time, I fell down the rabbit hole labeled G.A.S. the day I started learning to play. I started off on bass in 1969 with guitar coming much later in life. Long story short, if I could go back in time and talk to myself I could have saved myself a lot of money. Bought a lot of gear that I just did not need at all. Each to their own, I call it stupidity on my part.

When I was playing bass full time there was a stretch from 1979 through 1981 where I was down the rabbit hole long enough to flirt with Alice for a while. Lets say I engaged in some "bad behaviors." But during that time there was this little voice inside my head that asked "do you really want to go there?" Sometimes I didn't listen but then I started listening more and more and by the end of 1981 I had pretty much crawled my way out of Wonderland. Had some friends who never made it back and the excesses that gripped them eventually killed them.

Some hard lessons learned but it's all good now. Now I'm a content, retired homebody who plays guitar at church.

If you're a Kiss fan, it's been a dangerous time for rabbit holes. Apparently there's been a bit of an internet feud or something going on (pure speculation on my part based on the titles of some YouTube videos), but the end result is a TON of early footage in pretty good quality has been coming out.

ETA: The video I posted in this slot was deleted. See below.

Apparently, the one channel that was pumping a lot of them out has been shut down. Disappointing - I hadn't had time to watch all of them. There was an early show from Tokyo the same day as a widely distributed Tokyo show. And quite a few others.

Rabbit holes???? Hahahahaha

Guitars........what a Rabbit hole thats been. Prs has been the worst. I love looking at the sexy body carve and headstock plus I love the tones.

Pedals would be another one.

I've had stints of pedal ownership in the past but I got hooked on searching for the perfect od pedal a couple years ago. I typically dislike the feel if od pedals but I watch videos and think, maybe this is the one.......I dislike them all EXCEPT the EP booster. Very usable tool.

Next is cabinets. I picked up a marshall 4x12 about 2 years ago. After a rewire (it was a disaster) I fell in love with it. Got me thinking about having different cabs loaded with different speakers. Now I have five marshall 4x12 one 6505 and two 2x12s. I did buy all my marshsll cabs pretty cheap but buying speakers wasn't.

This one is funny or weird depending on your background.

I have a trailer fettish.........I buy used trailers that are cheap and in need of help. I rebuild them and sometimes sell them, sometimes keep them.

My last project was a car trailer dad and I own together. Last month we cut the old rusty beat up fenders off and I fabbed new ones out of 1/4 inch platel. Lights on it suck so I purchased commercial grade LED lights and will install all new LEDs and complete rewire.

I save SS j boxes I take off truck scales. They have circuit boards in them and cord grips for cell cables in and home run cables out.

After I scrape all of the components off of circuit boards, I mount terminal strip on them and mount box under trailer. All of my wire connections are made inside and with 8 slot terminal strip I can use a jumper and make some parallel. That makes it easier to manage all of the ground and running light connections. It will be sweet when I'm done.

I made a small trailer to pull behind bike a couple years ago but my wife decided she wanted it when it was done????

It turned out super nice. I bought it for 60 bucks and completely rebuilt it. I made tail light pockets out of conveyor legs from FedEx so all lights on back were recessed and protected. Complete rewire and all new LED lights.

I bought a trailer 5 years ago, 6x12 platform for 175.00. It was rough but I built new fenders for it and extended the front and built wheel chocks. Buddy gave me four rims and I put new tires on it so I use it to haul our dirtbikes. I can haul 5 on it.

The only other thing was suspension wasn't right.i had to cut 3 of the 4 spring hanger brackets off and relocate them and weld them back into place. New bushings since I had it apart.

I could sell it for a ton more than I have in it.

Rabbit holes.........

Here's today's rabbit hole...

This is the most incredible pianist I have ever heard, period, in my lifetime. So far I've listened to him play Rachmaninov and Liszt. Now, you can go into all the guitar virtuosos there are, but this guy stands alone in my opinion, and he's still only in his 20s here:

I have NEVER heard anyone play the piano with this combination of power, skill and passion.

Also he makes very weird piano faces, which are kind of the piano equivalent of guitar faces, only stranger.

Trifonov was born in Russia, and did most of his music studies there, but moved to the US to study and currently lives in NYC. I am in awe of this guy's talent. His father is a composer and his mother is a music teacher.

Wiki says he's also a composer - I haven't heard his stuff, but of course will do so.

As an aside, I feel even less talented now than I did before watching this stuff - If it's even possible to feel less talented than I do!

This is a once-in-a-generation talent. :eek:

Last edited:
Here's today's rabbit hole...

This is the most incredible pianist I have ever heard, period, in my lifetime. So far I've listened to him play Rachmaninov and Liszt. Now, you can go into all the guitar virtuosos there are, but this guy stands alone in my opinion, and he's still only in his 20s here:

I have NEVER heard anyone play the piano with this combination of power, skill and passion.

Also he makes very weird piano faces, which are kind of the piano equivalent of guitar faces, only stranger.
Geeez this guy is on fire

Pedal board rebuild at the moment.

I picked up a gator board with case (used) for an absolute steal.

Maybe a couple of new additions to the board, if I can get them at the right price.

A pedal switcher, so this means, new cables (gonna build my own, neutrik plugs and Van Damme cable ordered), cable management, cable ties, cable clips, a label maker etc etc etc.

I can’t tell you how many build videos I’ve watched.

I’ve repositioned the front line a million times, as I have the switcher, tuner, clean/OD channel switch for the Mesa and tap Delay pedal. Everything else sits behind the switcher.

I think I might call this board the “rabbit hole”

Back