Imagine this! (RABBIT HOLE WARNING)

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Read no further if you do not want to get sucked in to a rabbit hole that I was thrust into last night.

OK, you have been warned ;~))

Most of us have heard about the powers of AI (artificial intelligence) and some here may have already experienced some of the offerings of this technology. Last night I was introduced to Midjourney! I spent the next 3 hours or so generating images based on what I told it I wanted to see, refining those images with new details and outputting relatively high quality renderings of such images. I was introduced to this rabbit hole by the folks at The Gear Forum (NOT TGP, this is a site started last year by folk who like what TGP should be, but was not). Here are some examples of what I produced (terms used to generate image is at the bottom of each image, all of these are based on songs I have written or have ideas for).

Moondog_Wily_paisley_psychedelic_cats_in_cannabis_tree.png

paisley psychedelic cats in cannabis tree

Moondog_Wily_colorful_mushrooms_and_butterflies_with_three_cats.png

colorful mushrooms and butterflies with three cats (notice it did not give me 3 cats, but I forgive)

Moondog_Wily_hell_inside_a_snow_globe.png

hell inside a snow globe

Moondog_Wily_devil_playing_violin_next_to_man_on_his_the_death.png

devil playing violin next to man on his the death bed (notice it has man on death bed rather than devil playing violin)

I will DEFINITELY be using this to generate artwork for my next album. It would take me many hours to produce any of these images with the techniques and software I am familiar with, and each of these took a couple of minutes, most of that time being the computers in the background generating them.

You can use it for free, and that is supposed to give you approximately 25 commands, but I produced 38 images and the account is still letting me generate more. Once you do reach the limit however, you then have to sign up for a paid subscription or start a new account.

Other than the rabbit hole warning, I would also warn users that it is not for someone who does not know how to follow instructions. You need to set up a "Discord" account first and then use the servers that allow the Midjourney Bot to run within the Discord environment. If that all sounds too complicated, I would hesitate to get involved. If it is too much for you but you would really like to have an imagination (as described in your own words) brought to life, feel free to PM me and I will generate the images for you.

On the process of generating images, when you do a query, you are initially given a grid of 4 items and you can then choose to redo, select an item(s) to get a new set of 4 versions from and/or "upscale" one or all of the versions that have already been created. The term "upscale" refers to the system producing a more detailed and higher resolution version.

Here is a link to the "Get Started" page: https://docs.midjourney.com/

Appologies for anyone who gets sucked in here, but congratulations on making your mental thoughts come to life with little to no effort on your part! I would love to see what forumites come up with. The people who introduced me to this did some Wizards with guitars as well as things like specific guitars and it rendered some really cool results. I have not got around to that as of yet, but feel free to tell it to generate a PRS Dragon guitar if you so choose, it will be fun to see what it comes up with.

Sincerely
Blown Mind

How cool! Love the paisley psychedelic cats!!!

Wanted to try it out but don't want to give out my cell # so avoided going far down the rabbit hole.

FYI, I tried two other AI image generation services. One is called OpenAI and I was not able to get into this one without providing a phone number, which I refuse to do. The other one that I tries is called DreamStudio and the results I got playing with it were not even close to what is being produced from Midjourney.com.

If anyone knows of others that do high quality image generation, but do not require phone numbers, please let me know!

That's really cool. AI kinda blows my mind.

I recently started following this youtube channel. The guy uses AI to create images based on the lyrics of songs. I liked his Opeth and Ayreon videos.

I actually started playing with that idea last night. The first ones in this thread were all based on songs I have written or have conceptualized, but last night I put some of the lyrics of John Denver's "Grandma's Feather Bed" (the part that describes the bed) to see what it would produce. It was pretty good, but not exactly what I was looking for. Great thing about it is, you can just try again. It is a lot more fun than trying to build the same in Photoshop because you get introduced to random quirks that you may never have thought of and it takes maybe 60 seconds to give you 4 mockups which would take me hours in Photoshop. Anyway, trying to not get addicted to this stuff and stay focused on what I need from it ;~))

Definitely right up my street this, thanks so much.
Already on Discourse so I got a head start.
This is going to be fun while I idle away my lonely hotel nights away with work.
I feel another addiction coming on.

Definitely right up my street this, thanks so much.
Already on Discourse so I got a head start.
This is going to be fun while I idle away my lonely hotel nights away with work.
I feel another addiction coming on.
I am fighting this addiction hard! Especially because I can set up a million email accounts if I want and keep getting new trial runs. I will eventually pay them for this service as I think it is just that cool and valuable. Don't know if you read it, but the other two I tried are not even close to the quaility of the stuff at Midjourney. Note that one of the things I have been doing is experimenting with some of the commands that I see others use. An example would be as follows (and this was actually used for one of the images I created):

colorful mushroom planets in outer space with cats having rocket engines and musical notes in psychedelic style with galaxy background, cinematic hyper-detailed visuals showcasing insane details, beautifully color graded through the power of Unreal Engine. Featuring DOF, Super-Resolution, Megapixel, Cinematic Lightning, Anti-Aliasing, FKAA, TXAA, RTX, SSAO, Post Processing, Post Production, Tone Mapping, CGI, VFX, SFX, and insanely detailed and intricate designs that are hyper maximalist and hyper realistic. Experience volumetric and photorealistic environments with ultra photoreal and ultra-detailed visuals in stunning 8K resolution. Witness super detailed and full-color landscapes, with volumetric lightning and HDR. Powered by the Unreal Engine, immerse yourself in a 16K resolution world with sharp focus and intricate details that accentuate the psychedelic world. --v 4

Notice all the qualifiers after the image description regarding what parameters to assign. Still experimenting with what some of these do (if anything) but it is a good starting point to play with some of the more advanced directives to the bot! Have fun, warning was given!!!!

I am fighting this addiction hard! Especially because I can set up a million email accounts if I want and keep getting new trial runs. I will eventually pay them for this service as I think it is just that cool and valuable. Don't know if you read it, but the other two I tried are not even close to the quaility of the stuff at Midjourney. Note that one of the things I have been doing is experimenting with some of the commands that I see others use. An example would be as follows (and this was actually used for one of the images I created):

Notice all the qualifiers after the image description regarding what parameters to assign. Still experimenting with what some of these do (if anything) but it is a good starting point to play with some of the more advanced directives to the bot! Have fun, warning was given!!!!
Yes I did read that the other two were far behind Midjourney.
I probably won't even look at them after seeing some of the samples you have posted.
I also know my daughter will love this too even though I can't persuade her to switch to PRS from her current weapons of choice, Schecter.
And for the record she is a far better player than myself..darn young uns!

Can this AI generated images do things like...Julie Bowen from the neck up/Sofia Vergara from the neck down?

Asking for a friend
Sign up and try it! I have seen people producing Jim Carrey, Donald Trump, Jay-Z and other famous individuals. Someone did "give me jim carrey as the batman joker" and the results were pretty fun to see. I am sure your "friend" will have fun with it!

Back