The Guitar Gear Rabbit...Black Hole

What was it like back in the day?

Yes, by far it was much simpler but it was life as we knew it and you dealt with what was available at the time. With anything. And in looking back you know what? It was pretty darned good. Perfect, no but again it was what we knew.

I didn't start playing until 1969 (bass) but I got bit by the music bug back when I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I wasn't the only one who got bit either. You could walk down any street where we lived and you'd always hear the sound of a band coming from a basement or a garage. It was truly a magical time and an awakening for all of us youngsters. I remember riding my bike to the local music store just to look at the guitars and amps. For a young boy who wanted to learn how to play it was quite a thrill to see the guitars and amps in front of you that your favorite bands were using.

In our eyes the choice of gear wasn't limited. We actually thought there was a good selection available. It was just a matter of a young kid being able to afford "that" guitar or"that" amp. Even though there were some effects pedals back then it was pretty much guitar, cord and amp for the longest time. Once I started playing and was decent enough to jam with friends I really can't recall seeing anyone using an effects pedal. I could be wrong but in looking back it seemed that because of the lack of distractions (pedals, social media, cable TV) people just got down to business that much more with trying to improve on their instruments. It was pretty much "hey, you got a guitar, a cord and an amp so get your fingers moving!" It's like with no special effects you HAD to make it sound good. Now that I think about it, seems that most of the amps that the guitar players I knew back then didn't have reverb! (I seem to remember a lot of Fender Bandmaster amps being used).

I'm now 70 and these old memories of mine are now going on 55 years old. Can't believe how fast it all goes by. Even though I welcome some of the new things with open arms (love my Pod Go!), I find myself missing those simpler times more and more.

Sorry if I rambled. Been very nostalgic lately.
My dad had a stella acoustic when I was in Jr high. I started teaching myself guitar on that.

Then a couple years later I found an electric guitar in the closet. It actually belonged to my uncle but it was disassembled.

It was a fender duo sonic with a super short scale. I put it together and played the crap out of it.

I would sneak the Kustom bass amp home from school over the weekends and play through it.

I eventually bought a fender combo that had been turned into a head and a music man 4x12. I was in heaven!

But then.............I saw my first Carvin catalog and whoa...........if I just had that 300 watt stack I'd have it made!!!!!!!!

Lol

By 1983 I had purchased my first legit guitar. A G&L nighthawk which I still have today.

I started out on a broom, strumming and singing Hound Dog after seeing Elvis on Ed Sullivan in 1956.

Begged my folks for a guitar and they bought me a plastic Roy Rogers model.

I liked Elvis and Ricky Nelson a lot and eventually my mom got me a Harmony acoustic in the early 60's.

Later I put a pawn shop DeArmond pickup in it and played it through a little 50's Supro amp.

Then the Beatles arrived and I got a Harmony 3 pickup Rocket semi-hollowbody.

From there I scored a Fender Jaguar but hated it.

But it ended well because around 1968 I traded that Jaguar for a real 1956 Goldtop Les Paul Standard!

I've had lots of guitars: and amps. Lots of 50's Gibson and Fenders although the only old one I have now is my '54 Esquire and some of my old Fender and Gibson amps.

My favorite guitar of all time was stolen in Denver around 1980.

1960 Gibson ES-355 like BB King's.

But I'm fine. I have a truly great ES-335 w/Tom Holmes humbuckers.

And a bunch of PRS guitars!

Last edited:
i find this one truely hard to believe .. shop in PA it seems ... .. PS for $2,157.00 Rabbit Hole dive anyone ?
DSC_6385_ce7f50a3-3727-4430-a8e5-62e8c472a32c_3000x.jpg

Lions Horrible Stuff Summary

The Lions won three NFL titles in the 1950s, with a quarterback named Bobby Layne. They decided to trade him after he led the team to the 1957 title. One his way out the door he said the Lions will never win another title for 50 years.

He was wrong. It's been 66 years that the Lions have never won a title. And counting...because the Curse of Bobby Layne is real!

Trips to the Super Bowl: Zero. Goose Egg. Zip. Zilch. Zed. Nil. Nada.

Playoff appearances/wins since 1957: Appearances: 12; Wins: 1 (NFL's longest postseason drought)

Winless Seasons: One, sets NFL record for losses in a season (0-16)

Longest Field Goal: 63 yards, against Lions

Lowest Scoring Playoff Game: 5-0, Cowboys win over Lions

Weirdest Retirement: Barry Sanders, about to break Walter Payton's rushing record, offered to return his bonus if the Lions traded him. They refused. Barry retired.

Weirdest Firing: A defensive coach named Jim Cullen got drunk and went to a Wendy's drive-thru naked. Happens every day, right?

Coaches Who Resigned Out Of Frustration In Midseason: One, the only time it's ever happened in NFL history

Players dying on the field during a Game: One, the only time it's ever happened in the NFL

First Loss of NFL team to AFL team: Who else? Lions.

If the Vikings can top these stats, I'll concede. ;)
OK, I concede.

Lions Horrible Stuff Summary

The Lions won three NFL titles in the 1950s, with a quarterback named Bobby Layne. They decided to trade him after he led the team to the 1957 title. One his way out the door he said the Lions will never win another title for 50 years.

He was wrong. It's been 66 years that the Lions have never won a title. And counting...because the Curse of Bobby Layne is real!

Trips to the Super Bowl: Zero. Goose Egg. Zip. Zilch. Zed. Nil. Nada.

Playoff appearances/wins since 1957: Appearances: 12; Wins: 1 (NFL's longest postseason drought)

Winless Seasons: One, sets NFL record for losses in a season (0-16)

Longest Field Goal: 63 yards, against Lions

Lowest Scoring Playoff Game: 5-0, Cowboys win over Lions

Weirdest Retirement: Barry Sanders, about to break Walter Payton's rushing record, offered to return his bonus if the Lions traded him. They refused. Barry retired.

Weirdest Firing: A defensive coach named Jim Cullen got drunk and went to a Wendy's drive-thru naked. Happens every day, right?

Coaches Who Resigned Out Of Frustration In Midseason: One, the only time it's ever happened in NFL history

Players dying on the field during a Game: One, the only time it's ever happened in the NFL

First Loss of NFL team to AFL team: Who else? Lions.

If the Vikings can top these stats, I'll concede. ;)
You’re both wrong. Until 2016 that phrase obviously belonged to the Cubs!

The shop online is called Sonic Legacy , they have all sorts of guitars at obscenely low prices .. my shopify ... I'm here to tell you if it was legit I would be in VERY serious trouble . .. nice to browze though .. I emailed just for giggles
Shopify is a host for a great many scam sites. Betcha a dollar that if you Google the SN of the guitar, you’ll find a legit listing elsewhere for it.

I Remember As A Young Kid That We Described Pedals By Their Color Rather Than Pedal Type And Brand, Etc. "Hey I Got A New Pedal This Weekend"! Great, What Did You Get? "I Got The Light Blue One." I Was Originally Thinking Of Getting The Green One Or The Orange One But The Light Blue One Was Just So Cool." ;)

Sweety ... my favorite guitar is on sale half off!!!! Just like Jerry's ... sweet sunshine of my days ...

how much honey ... ??? WAIT a minute buster ..... Didn't you just buy 1 , no 2 .. wait a minute ...

but Babe I can save SO much money you could dream of anything for you ...

oh no DUCK, and , RUN Forrrestt!!!

https://reverb.com/item/57892307-alembic-tribute-cocobolo-purple-heart-maple-2003

...ohh wait a bit Honey your right I'm sorry .. how Selfish of me .... ...how about this one for you ... you'd just be adorable with it?? Sweet heart ..
nezje9gmjs5nfpexcsm7.jpg
Hey Mr. Rabbit MOVE over , I need to lay low for a while .. by the way ,,, do you have room to store a guitar or 2 while the missus calms down ??? roflol ....

You are welcome to store either or both of those with me for as long as it takes. When the smoke clears at Casa Greywolf, I promise to ship them down to you at my soonest possible convenience. ;):p

Lions Very Bad, No Good Stuff Summary
The Jets just added Aaron Rodgers' four snap season, or one snap if referring to his Achilles tendon ;), to their own No Good Stuff Summary.

They're not-happy. Very not-happy.

Last edited:
Here in Laz World, "No" is instantly translated to, "If I sneak it into the studio, a certain someone won't NOtice."
That Works Great Until It Doesn't Work Anymore. Once That Happens You Have Eyes On You Non Stop And You Can Never Sneak In Anything Again. Be Careful On That One...LOL.

Back