Let's talk gear that blew you away from the first note!

While most of the guitars I own and especially the PRSi blew me away from the first ring. My two private stock PRS stood out from all that....really really blowing me away. The difference was just on another level.

A guitar that had me turned WAY off at first BUT came out later was my 20" radius Kiesel GH24. That guitar felt so wrong....then once I started to understand it I loved it. That guitar sadly I sold when i bought a SC594 that blew me away but I didn't look back because I had to have the 594 lol. That 594 I would eventually sell to buy my first PS guitar...sooooo it was all worth it.

Last edited:
My Gary Rossington LP is another one.
When I pulled it out of the case and plugged it in for the first time, it didn’t feel like other LP‘s and definitely didn’t sound like other LP’s. Sang and growled perfectly. None of the others that I tried came close.
I tried to find another LP similar to it and eventually gave up. One and done.

Everything I Have Purchased...That Is Why I Bought It.

Some Incredible Notables Would Be
Bogner Überschall
PRS PS Custom 22 (Knaggs Era)
PRS PS McCarty P90's (Knaggs Era)
Diezel VH4
PRS Singlecut Trem
Grosh Set Neck
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Oxblood)
Suhr Tele
Baker B1
Nik Huber Orca
Nik Huber Jr
Tom Anderson Bulldog
Collings City Limits
Collings 290
PRS McCarty Artist
PRS Modern Eagle II's
Kauer Starliner (Original Version Modeled After A 59 LP)
Knaggs SS2's
Mesa TC-100
Keeley Halo
Bogner XTC 101B And Classic
Kemper
Wizard Modern Classic
Roccaforte HG 100
PRS Tremonti OG :)

First time I experienced that “wow” gear moment was when I got my first Boogie, a Mk III Simul-Class hardwood combo.

Next I recall was the PRS 513. Just rewrote what versatile guitar means.

The Fractal Audio Axe FX, originally the Ultra. One jaw dropping moment after another for a guy coming from many years of tube amps.

On the tube amp front, the HX/DA. After playing many, many amps claiming to nail the classic Marshall tone, and failing, this amp does it flawlessly and effortlessly. Imagine a Plexi with all the tone but built like a modern high quality amp and you have it.

There have been a lot of “wow” gear moments over many years, but those stick out.

Beside my second custom made guitar, which became my #1, it's the tonal versality and haptic of my 513s.

But what blew me really away, was the discovery concerning speakers and amp boxes.
Of course I was amazed by the power of 4×12 cabs, which could dry your trousers.
But I learned the 3D sound of Barefaced cabs. I ordered a 1x12 and in direct comparison it sounded richer and bigger than my 4×12. Additionally I decided for a really light, neutral, and not amp post-colouring speaker (Celestion Neo 250 Copperback). The whole 250 Watts cab weights approx. 15 lbs.
The journey wasn't at the final destination with that discovery.
There was an other manufacturer for 3D sounding cabs on the marked.
At local PRS meeting, the other attendees were owners of cabs by Kammler (1×10 and 1×12). It took a while to decide. My first idea was to order a 2×12 cab with two Neo 250s. But Mr. Kammler recommended to guess a little bit about the combination of a 12" and 10" speaker. Being slightly an individualist I agreed. I paired different 10" to my Neo 250 playing through my amp. The EVM-10M was the best partner.
Hereby a new, light 12" speaker and a used, old, and heavy 10" speaker are supporting my playing. And this cab sounds big and precise - even ultra distortion with a down tuned axe.

And it's good that there are microphones available, which could catch the sound like you would listen it directly in the room.

This, my luthier made Mitchell acoustic -

I chose this whilst it was still in production. I was playing it yesterday with my Pops and my Pops-in-law. We all agreed it has a great tone. It’s now 12 years old, like a good single malt.

Wow, some great posts here! It's fun to hear what everyone instantly bonds with, don't ask me why, it just fascinates me. And, it's not a bad way to learn about some sweet gear to keep an eye out for! There are also some mentions here that don't surprise me a bit, but are fun to hear nonetheless - HXDA, Soldano, Boogie, and all those PRS guitars!

I'll take my turn now.

Guitars - I've had 3 that hit the spot right away, in chronological order: SE Akesson, S2 Studio, and WL594. They just sounded and felt "right" immediately.

Although, I should mention, I'm giving a small exception to my 594 here, I had one of the ones with a bent bridge plate, and it wasn't up to its full sonic potential until I discovered that. It always sounded good, but it didn't have the note attack and string-to-string definition that I expected out of the 594. Until I swapped the (identical) bridge off my S2 594 when I saw the bend in the core model's bridge, and it just opened the guitar right up, immediately. It's been perfect ever since (I did order a new bridge for it and return the S2 bridge to its home). So, in the form it was meant to be, my 594 is perfect.

Amps - I love PRS amps, but I will say, they're not always easy for me to just turn on and get the sound I want immediately - they pay off with more organic tones than many "instant gratification" amps, once you get to know them. The HDRX 20, however, was instant magic. Others have been the '66 Super and Friedman Smallbox. Hmm... all those were basically in the last year... it's been a great year for amps!

Keep 'em comin, fellas!

- Selmer Mark VI tenor sax.
- Collings OM1 acoustic (but I sold it last March).
- Vox Pathfinder 15R (not in a "greatest sound ever" way, but as a "awesome low volume practice sound for little money.")
- An 80s Yamaha grand piano at one of the schools I attended.

I forgot to mention a bunch of other instant gratification stuff when I posted about the HXDA. The list is too long to post here, but I'll give a special shout-out to my PS acoustic. I ordered it back in 2013, and it's still going strong as the only acoustic I'll ever need.

Dr Z Therapy. I bought it based on what I read about it and it's been my main gigging amp since new in 2018.

PRS McCarty. First time I played one I thought it was made specifically for me. Except the pickups... I've never found a more comfortable guitar.

Just under the wire for the year .. My Cocobolo Angelus is really quite special .
vnfsxwueynkgefqps4js.jpg
The Engleman top makes it sparkle , not as loud as my Addi topped Tonare but very focused.
vpuzoa9dtefovtr8ucce.jpg
"Angi" will be my #1 for standard tuning.

Last edited:
Back