Let's talk gear that blew you away from the first note!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
When it comes to gear we love, I'd guess that most of us have some that we needed some time to get acquainted to, and some that just sounded and felt right from the very first time we plugged it in. Of the former, maybe some things were good but not immediately great, maybe you hated it until you discovered how to make it sound best.

But, I want to hear about the gear that just nailed it right out of the gate. What did you buy and instantly fall in love with, and has stayed that way ever since? Why?

I've got my picks, certainly, but I didn't come here just to tell y'all about it. I'll chime in later, I want to know what YOU loved from the first note!

McCarty 594 HBII Wood LIbrary. Received it Feb '21 and I have not put it down since (I would estimate ~4,000 hours of play time so far and some of the frets agree). Within a few months after that I purchased two more PRS, but they have not won me the way that one did. They are great and I have no intention of ever selling them, but due to them weighing over 2lbs more, I don't play them nearly as much.

The other item is the Axe FXIII MkII Turbo. Received it Dec '21 and from day one, it produced tones and effects I never could have even imagined, and it has become even better the more I learn about it. Add to that the fact that the company improves it almost weekly at no additional charge and it just blow me away day to day!

Easy.
From the very first note it was Ol 85.
Well road worn 1985 Standard 24 with original T and B pups.
The very first power chord reminded me of the Back to the Future scene where Marty hits the chord on the Docs rig and gets blown through the wall.
Yeah well I have a good imagination :cool:

My triple soapy. It had some screws missing, some hardware store screws on it, and was unbelievably filthy. I had to start by scraping the fingerboard with a sharpened credit card. When I hit the rusty strings ( I bought it on eBay ) I knew. I also have an amp that was custom made, based on and old Fender Tweed pro from the early fifties. One volume, one tone, 6SC7 tubes. I plugged in at an open mike, hit a chord on my S2 custom 24, and that was it. It kept blowing up, which is why the owner sold it to me at a steep discount. Pete Cage of Cage Amplification reworked it, and my other amps just collect dust.

First time I played through my Carr Mercury V. All of my guitars sound great through it but there is something about my soapbar 594 going through the Exotic boost and the Duke of Tones pedals... It was like I finally found the sound that I had had in my head all those years.
594 soapy FTW!!!

Back