Let's talk gear that blew you away from the first note!

I usually am very excited to get new gear. I really do my research before purchasing something. I am not sure there have been many pieces of it that I can say blew me away. I like to spend time with things to really get to know them. Once I have spent some time with things I then really get impressed with things. Here are some items that I came to really be impressed with rather quickly.

Keeley Super AT Mod, I actually bought a second one of these because I liked it so much.

Suhr custom carve, one piece quilt, top Standard. This guitar has been a regular in my rotation since I received it in late 2015.

Friedman Twin Sister amp. I really love the tones this amp creates. It is one of the best amps I have ever played through.

Honorable mention goes to my custom color McCarty 594 double cut. It has also been in regular rotation since I received it in January 2017. It didn't start exceeding my expectations until I swapped the 58/15 LT pickups for a new set of 57/08s. These are hotter than my other 57/08s and they really made this guitar come to life.

I have other gear that I bought that turned out to be exactly what I expected it to be. The ones above are items that went above my expectations when I purchased them.

Much of the gear I have now was a major step up from what I had before and all became keepers VERY quickly:

'77: LP, first real guitar
'88: Martin D35, first steel string acoustic
'97-98: Kids, each wailed their first notes instantly
'04: Tele with Texas Specials, the Tele sound on steroids
'21: Fractal FM9, maybe not instantly but getting up the learning curve a bit gave great tones and just keeps getting better
'23: S2 594 SC, that first chord: so clear & sustained forever esp. on the open strings. Stripped '58 was even better and stunning too. Genelec 8010A monitors: OMG, like a blanket was taken off tracks with detail and imaging that wasn't there before.

Dr Z Therapy. I bought it based on what I read about it and it's been my main gigging amp since new in 2018.

PRS McCarty. First time I played one I thought it was made specifically for me. Except the pickups... I've never found a more comfortable guitar.
It took a little while to unlock the mysteries of the pickups in my 2007 McCarty but they sound great now!

Back