Thoughts on selling gear on Facebook Marketplace?

PayPal F&F is for people you know well who aren’t going to claim they never got the item. It has zero protections for either buyer or seller. if the other party makes a claim to PayPal, you’re screwed.

This is widely shared, but to add some weight to it: I used to work at PayPal.
Wait what? My understanding has always been there is zero protection, as in neither party can claim anything? Once the money is sent its sent and can't be recovered.

Wait what? My understanding has always been there is zero protection, as in neither party can claim anything? Once the money is sent its sent and can't be recovered.
Eggs Zactly.
Now I'm really intrigued and hopefully we get to hear from the horses mouth so to speak what is the reality.

I bought my custom 24 on Facebook marketplace! I get almost all my music gear there. Pedals, amp, microphones, mic stands, pa speakers, a mixer, a drum kit, everything.

I've sold some pedals there with success.

It's like Craigslist but more active. I highly recommend it for finding deals, but as always make sure you know what you're doing so you don't get burned.

Edit to add: if I'm meeting someone in person, I'll pay without protection, the same as if I'm handing them cash. For that I use Venmo, PayPal friends and family, or zelle, and it's very helpful to have all 3.

If I'm ever having something shipped to me, like when buying on tgp, that's when I insist on PayPal goods and services or Venmo with purchase protection.

That’s how I understood it too. F&f is in theory designed for friends and family, so if I send $ to my brother, I would think Paypal isn’t going to get involved, period. If two parties agree to use f&f for buying an item, aren’t they basically agreeing that Paypal won’t get involved? And in any event, if a buyer who paid via f&f tried to file a claim that they didn’t receive the item, wouldn’t they be at risk of paypal shutting their account since they used f&f for something it wasn’t intended for?

Really curious to know what the reality is here.

That’s how I understood it too. F&f is in theory designed for friends and family, so if I send $ to my brother, I would think Paypal isn’t going to get involved, period. If two parties agree to use f&f for buying an item, aren’t they basically agreeing that Paypal won’t get involved? And in any event, if a buyer who paid via f&f tried to file a claim that they didn’t receive the item, wouldn’t they be at risk of paypal shutting their account since they used f&f for something it wasn’t intended for?

Really curious to know what the reality is here.
Calling @Ovibos !
Your wisdom is required.
Pretty please....

Yes, that’s what I meant. Use it to send your roommate or your mom money, but not to buy stuff from strangers.
So, if you're the SELLER, Paypal F&F is fine because once you get the $ in your account, the buyer can't file a claim and get it back, correct?

Lewguitar said:
Реверберація найкраща. Потім eBay. Facebook Marketplace нічого не вартий для продажу, але доступний для локальних покупок.

Did I really say that? OK...if you say so.

Don't think you can walk it back now. Just own it and accept the consequences.

Well I have to report a solid success for my first venture out on FBMP.
I also listed the wife's old VW Rabbit that I had been listing on CL on and off for a couple weeks.
Sold in 4 hours.

Had a couple of trade offers on the Strat as well.

It looks promising so far.

But yes I also had two scammers right away although so easy to spot it's funny.

I’m happy to send a courier with cash, however I am going to need your Mothers maiden name, you DOB, first pets name and your social security as a deposit.

Just for giggles, here’s the first scam response I’ve gotten on a CL ad:

Thanks for returning my message and am so sorry for the late response , I'm currently not in town for now, so I won't be able to meet with you due to my work frame and also we are very busy at this time preparing for our daughter's wedding but I'm okay with the price and condition as shown on the advert. I'll proceed in issuing a cashier's check to you and when you receive the payment and it clears your bank, I will make arrangements for the pick up. I will also add an additional $70 to hold it down for me. Kindly provide me with the following information to send the Payment :
Name to be on the payment ...........
Address to mail the check to City, state and Zip code ............
Final Asking price...................
Cell phone number to text you on ........
The Payment will be mailed out ASAP and I will send you the tracking # when it's sent. Thanks

Reverb has gotten nuts with their fees but that's where all the people are. Sweetwater.com has a gearpage for used gears and take less away from your proceeds. I don't have a fb account so I can't speak to it. Unfortunately, I see reverb dominating.

Back