Question about selling gear on Reverb

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I have a couple of things on Reverb. I got a message from someone asking me to send my photos to her father because he was certain to buy the item if I did. She gave his name (Carlos something or other...) and provided a hotmail email address. She cannot be contacted again on Reverb. Can't respond to a message. This is likely some kind of scam....right? What do you think she's trying to do? Get my email address for some reason?

What do you think she's trying to do?

Scam you. She's trying to scam you.

64f24705-75f7-492a-b85a-9c9a6941a33b_text.gif

Well I figured that! Just wondering what the scam would be. I'm just ignoring her. Not planning on writing back or anything.

My dad really wants it. But he's not in the country, and he can't receive packages where he's at. But he has a friend who's local, so he'll send you a check (or worse, he'll wire the money to your account if you provide information) and his buddy will pick it up and hold it/hand deliver it. And/or the check is for $x more than the agreed price because he has to get this money out of wherever he is, but because you're helping him, you can keep half of it and just send the other half to this other address.

Well I'll be 74 this year but I'm not senile yet. Or at least not enough to fall for that rubbish.

You should read some of the scam mail we get!

I win something every week, and it's all BS.

Every week? I win something every single day. Sometimes I win three or four of the same thing in a matter of minutes! I know it's legit, because the e-mails come from me, and I trust myself. Most of the time.

Every week? I win something every single day. Sometimes I win three or four of the same thing in a matter of minutes! I know it's legit, because the e-mails come from me, and I trust myself. Most of the time.
Me too!

Power tools, lawn mowers, free solar panels, beautiful Russian women...all BS.

When you hit 70 the scammers come out of the woodwork!

#1 rule of selling: If you're uncomfortable with prospective buyer's actions... run!

#1 rule of buying: If you're uncomfortable with prospective seller's actions... run!

Yeah, beginning of a transaction where inevitably at some point you will need to wire cash to her father's cousin who is an Ethiopian prince- so you know it is safe.

I am a genuine Nigerian General.

I reported the message to Reverb. I'm pretty sure she was setting me up for some kind of scam. I'm surprised that she could even contact me seeing I could not contact her even if i wanted to. I doubt her father is the Carlos we all know and love! :)

The Jackal??

Oh no, I'm odd.

I thought you were fairly even.

Back