EVERYONE IS DRINKING THE REVERB KOOLAID

Yeah, and that is too bad that Snopes is now under question, but if you look at the links in that article there is plenty of evidence and other sources that this claim being pushed is complete misinformation.

What is it with people being so scared of Reverb?

I mean, come on! Are they afraid that the Reverb police are gonna come into the house in the middle of the night and slit their throats?

It seems like every time I send someone a message, and say, hey man, I’ll do a cash deal, private deal, you don’t have to pay Reverb fees I don’t have to pay sales tax. It’s a win-win!

Everybody always messages back, oh, no, we can’t do that! I might get in trouble with Reverb!

F*** Reverb! F*** Reverb‘s high fees!
If someone reaches out to me suggesting this I'm going to assume it's either a scammer or somebody trying to rob me. I consider the fees on Reverb to be covering my safety.

Roughly 10 years ago in my city there were a string of incidents where people got robbed of cash or whatever they were selling when doing craigslist transactions. No way I'm meeting you to do a cash transaction. Maybe (but maybe not) if you pay me via cash app or Venmo before the meetup that could work.

Here's a link to Janet Yellen's letter to Charles P. Rettig (Commissioner Internal Revenue Service).

linky linky
The interesting part is that it will not work the way she states in that letter. Corporations and people that make a lot of money pay teams of tax professionals to make sure they are within the laws. I work at a large company that does just that. It is the lower earners that do their own taxes because it is expensive to pay someone to do them and they can't afford it that will get burned in this. They are the ones that are more likely to have mistakes on their filings. As a little proof of this, do you honestly think that high earners are concerned with the $600 limit on receiving payments? They are the people that are already keeping receipts for everything because they are already itemizing everything and writing off as much as they can.

The interesting part is that it will not work the way she states in that letter. Corporations and people that make a lot of money pay teams of tax professionals to make sure they are within the laws. I work at a large company that does just that. It is the lower earners that do their own taxes because it is expensive to pay someone to do them and they can't afford it that will get burned in this. They are the ones that are more likely to have mistakes on their filings. As a little proof of this, do you honestly think that high earners are concerned with the $600 limit on receiving payments? They are the people that are already keeping receipts for everything because they are already itemizing everything and writing off as much as they can.

I couldn't find an appropriate emoticon, so you'll have to imagine one here.

Linky the second

Let's say we accept the notion of the IRS' function as a fairly transparent manifestation of Government policy. So we come to the question: returning the IRS to somewhere like its former (inflation-adjusted) budget level per capita of the taxable population is done a) with what intention? and b) with what likely outcome?

This is what elections are for, I'd suggest.

I couldn't find an appropriate emoticon, so you'll have to imagine one here.

Linky the second

Let's say we accept the notion of the IRS' function as a fairly transparent manifestation of Government policy. So we come to the question: returning the IRS to somewhere like its former (inflation-adjusted) budget level per capita of the taxable population is done a) with what intention? and b) with what likely outcome?

This is what elections are for, I'd suggest.
I do my part in the elections. I agree that is something that should be a consideration in them.

If someone reaches out to me suggesting this I'm going to assume it's either a scammer or somebody trying to rob me. I consider the fees on Reverb to be covering my safety.

Roughly 10 years ago in my city there were a string of incidents where people got robbed of cash or whatever they were selling when doing craigslist transactions. No way I'm meeting you to do a cash transaction. Maybe (but maybe not) if you pay me via cash app or Venmo before the meetup that could work.

My fist attempt at selling on Craigslist was my last: I listed an EJ Strat for $1k and the first caller told me "I want you to make sure you have the guitar and $1k in cash at your house in case I want an immediate refund".

A few years ago I thought I'd be nice and hand deliver a guitar I sold on Reverb to someone an hour away thinking it'd be a wash on packing vs. travel time - what a PITA buyer!

These days I have no problem w/ Reverb fees for protection, security and peace of mind.

That's crazy -- if you want $1k in immediate cash refund, you better bring that cash with you to the sale!

That's crazy -- if you want $1k in immediate cash refund, you better bring that cash with you to the sale!
that's what I thought but he kept repeating that he wanted me to be sure to have the cash. I stopped answering the phone and pulled the listing.

Last edited:
I had good luck with Craigslist once I got past all of the lowballers. There are so many people that just offer half or less than half of the listed price trying to get a steal so they can flip it for a profit. I had a guy arguing with me on the price of a mixer I posted. I told him to stop telling me how to sell my stuff and if he was interested he could shoot me an offer and see if I was willing to accept his offer. He came back at me again. I told him to put up or shut up. I don't need tire kickers telling me what prices I should be selling something for that can't even afford to buy it. I never heard from him after that. The market will tell you if you are too high on price. They won't buy it or show any interest.

The people that actually wanted an item were okay to deal with. They always met up and only one of them tried to negotiate a price with me after we met and I was okay with that because I was willing to be a little flexible on the price and his offer was within my flexibility.

It does get exhausting putting up with the lowballers though. I started putting things in my post like I am not in a position where I have to sell this item so don't send me lowball offers. It seems to help a bit but some still do it. It would be nice if there was a way to set a minimum limit to let an offer come through.

This thread reminded me to sell a studio gear piece on Reverb (not guitar or amp, don't be alarmed). The legal requirements are what they are, the fees are what they are, I can live with all that.

Reverb is simply easier on the nerves. They handle the shipping label, collect the the payment, etc.

I hate worrying about all that stuff when I sell gear.

Back