NGD: Finally The Wait Is Over

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the piezo. Startling was not enough for me. Did it sound authentic enough to use as an acoustic in a live setting?

Not exactly sure it was a move, but like Moondog Willy said, it is likely the model build process. My SE Custom was Indonesia....

But here's an update on my HBII: my piezo pickup is acting the tit. I'm getting nothing but hiss and static when I try to play it. Or it's totally dead. Call the shop yesterday and the tech told me to try a different battery, the one in it was some cheap thing that he said was a bit weak when he tested it. So I put in a new alkaline one last night and same s**t different pile. Switched amps (grasping at straws) and same same. Argh.
When I first fired it up Sunday morning it seemed really hot, but I just toned it down and never thought much more...learning curve maybe? So I just played for a while using the mag pickups and testing out the various sounds/switch positions. Then Monday morning I tried the piezo again and in came the issues: crackle, pop, hiss, static... yuck. Shut that off and switch plugs to check the mags, and they were stellar as before.
So, Friday I have to go to the lights for a nerve conduction test for my carpal thing, will take it back to the shop and see what they can find. Probably something simple (the jack maybe?) but it is disconcerting. It's a machine, and we all know machines have problems. Hopefully not serious ones.
Give the PTC an email. I have the exact same guitar (except your figuring is a bit nicer), gorgeous and plays like a dream!!

I had to send it to the PTC for a battery issue; the battery would discharge even if no cable was plugged in and would die in a week. Took about 6 weeks and came back good as new with the issue fixed. PTC also provided the shipping label.

Work with the dealer first and then PTC if unresolved. That should put the issue to bed.

Give the PTC an email. I have the exact same guitar (except your figuring is a bit nicer), gorgeous and plays like a dream!!

I had to send it to the PTC for a battery issue; the battery would discharge even if no cable was plugged in and would die in a week. Took about 6 weeks and came back good as new with the issue fixed. PTC also provided the shipping label.

Work with the dealer first and then PTC if unresolved. That should put the issue to bed.
Already in the works with Long & McQuade. It's a bummer, but there's proper channels to go through. I'm going to test a few things tonight with a buddy of mine that's far more knowledgeable than me (not try to "fix" anything per se) just to see if I can offer the techs any additional input come Friday. He was in my office earlier this morning and just had to play it, he was really impressed with the feel and playability. He did play a Hollowbody (non-piezo)some years back when he lived in Florida and he liked that one too. He was really taken with the figuring on mine too. It's a real eye catcher I think.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the piezo. Startling was not enough for me. Did it sound authentic enough to use as an acoustic in a live setting?
My first foray with it was pretty mind blowing, but then the glitches took over before I could really get an ear on things. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a rat's nest of a problem to set it straight. But what I did hear before that was different (better?) than my e-acoustic FG plugged in for presence. The FG is "bigger" on the bass tones for sure than the HBII, it sounded more controlled that way but I never got a chance to explore it enough with the amp before the trouble started. Sadly I never got to the acoustic channel on the Katana to compare them one on one, I was just running through the Mustang.

It's "yippee kai yay" day peeps. Of all the dumb arse overlooks, turns out I had a bad cable! After letting my pal have a go at it (with his cable and amp) I'm standing there with my jaw on the floor at this beautiful sound coming out of my guitar. As soon as I got home I plugged in a different cable and yup, wall to wall sweetness. Kinda strange, cable was almost new too and never acted up before on my other guitars even my e-acoustic, and never did it with the dual humbuckers on the HBII. Maybe it's a higher power telling me something...was a Fender cable.:eek: But I am so relieved.

Last edited:
Back