2000's PRS One Offs - Hunting

TMeury

Ah jeez.
Helllooooo friends!

I'm on the hunt for 2000's era one off McCartys with opaque finishes.
There's a mustard yellow, a battleship gray, and a lime ass green that have occupied a portion of my memory for around 20 years.
I need to find them!

Any suggestions on how to do so?

Figured posting here and on the PRS FB group is a start. I've been scouring ebay and reverb for years.

Search the interwebs with terms like “one off” or some of the other key attributes. I do that for looking for employee guitars, experience models, rosewood necks, Brazilian boards, etc..

Whatever you do, don’t search the term Rare….you’ll get everything under the sun, and most likely an SE with a generic color but someone thinks it’s rare because they haven’t seen it before.

I went through the same thing, had a reverb search saved for PRS McCarty Platinum metallic, one finally popped up, only i discovered after purchase that is was actually a standard 22 not a McCarty, killer playing and sounding guitar, but alas not a full thickness McCarty. I too am an opaque kinda guy, I have enough fancy tops and dyes, so i am on a opaque hunt as well.

Came across a grape metalic today. Amazing looking guitar. Wish they still made that color.
metallicgrape-24-1_600x.jpg

Yeah, PRS should make more opaque guitars, they look killer!

And no need for fancy tops on those, so that could mean a reduced pricepoint (however I have no idea how materials, labour and general costs are relative to each other into the production price).

#thedutchmaninmespeaking.

I once owned a black top natural back McCarty soapbar from the late 90s. Nowadays seeing an opaque top on a natural back PRS is pretty common, but back then it just didn't happen ever. I was told when I bought it from the shop in Chicago that it had come in as one of Billy Corgan’s guitars.

I sold it many years ago to a guy on the old PRS forum and sometimes wonder where it ended up. It was pretty great.

I always look at opaque PRS guitars. They are my favorites over all. My only PRS these days is now an older white McSoapy I picked up last week.

I eyed a bunch of guitars for months until that one came along and stole my heart. Am in the process of dialing it in.

Anybody remember the orange/copper metallics and the lime green and that wine metallic. I think early 2000s? They got a very cold response from the marketplace and I suspect didn't go over so hot, and aren't around so much.

Everybody wants that flame…

I once owned a black top natural back McCarty soapbar from the late 90s. Nowadays seeing an opaque top on a natural back PRS is pretty common, but back then it just didn't happen ever. I was told when I bought it from the shop in Chicago that it had come in as one of Billy Corgan’s guitars.

I sold it many years ago to a guy on the old PRS forum and sometimes wonder where it ended up. It was pretty great.

I always look at opaque PRS guitars. They are my favorites over all. My only PRS these days is now an older white McSoapy I picked up last week.

I eyed a bunch of guitars for months until that one came along and stole my heart. Am in the process of dialing it in.

Anybody remember the orange/copper metallics and the lime green and that wine metallic. I think early 2000s? They got a very cold response from the marketplace and I suspect didn't go over so hot, and aren't around so much.

Everybody wants that flame…
Yeah it seems the vast majority of players want that flame. Don't get me wrong I do like my flames as well, but how many flamey guitars can one own. I want some diversity in my collection. and when you own a bunch of flamey guitars, the opaque ones end up being the ones that stand out.

I am a weirdo, and I know this. I always admire flametops from afar, but I don’t ever buy any. Pretty much everything I own has an opaque top on it.

I came really close to buying a new 594 with a monster faded blue jean top a few weeks ago in fact. Like really close. And ended up with a 1-off R6 that stole my heart instead.

Heart wants what it wants. I love seeing the shape of the carve. I think a PRS has one of the most attractive guitar shapes in the industry, but it is so overshadowed by wood choices.

But then I’ve been this way for a fairly long time. I kind of took a break from guitar for about a decade. Hand issues. And when I came back my tastes had… simplified. :)

Yeah it seems the vast majority of players want that flame. Don't get me wrong I do like my flames as well, but how many flamey guitars can one own. I want some diversity in my collection. and when you own a bunch of flamey guitars, the opaque ones end up being the ones that stand out.
This is me. My first PRS and first Core I wanted the flame. Now I'd rather have solid or some sort of wood tone as I add more. The carve is so damn sexy solid.

Also look for the term "custom color" in your searches. It seems some know that term better than the "one off" term for those types of guitars.

Back