Can I ask this?

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Well, based on my research, I don't think this is a taboo question, but I'm trying to find the best place to sell my guitars. I only have a couple that I am parting with to upgrade. I know there is Reverb, Facebook, and Craigslist (the 2 former I have utilized), but I didn't know if there might be one that I don't know about. Does anyone know? GC is off the list for sure. Thanks! If I have overstepped or broken a rule, please let me know and I will delete this post.

eBay or The Gear Page (TGP) are two I can think of that you didn't list. You may be able to find a local shop that would sell them on consignment or buy them from you. Keep in mind they need to make money so they are going to give you less so there is room to make something on them.

Selling guitars has become tougher this year. Things are slowing down and the new tax laws are making a lot of people decide to either not sell or to trade in. I am currently in discussions with a local shop about selling off some of my guitars and amps through them or to them. I am probably going to go that route so I don't have to deal with the flaky people going the other routes.

eBay or The Gear Page (TGP) are two I can think of that you didn't list. You may be able to find a local shop that would sell them on consignment or buy them from you. Keep in mind they need to make money so they are going to give you less so there is room to make something on them.

Selling guitars has become tougher this year. Things are slowing down and the new tax laws are making a lot of people decide to either not sell or to trade in. I am currently in discussions with a local shop about selling off some of my guitars and amps through them or to them. I am probably going to go that route so I don't have to deal with the flaky people going the other routes.
Good thinking. I know going through a shop can lead to not getting quite as much since they need to make a profit. I had noticed that guitar sales seemed to be slowing. But, maybe not? Thank you for your replies!

I've heard of a lot of people doing business (buying and selling) with Chicago Music Exchange....heard they're pretty fair with regards to buying.

I have not done business with them, though....
A huge +1 for CME. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them yourself, reach out to the Buyers at CME. I have done a ton of business with them and am shocked how upfront and honest they are with their buying process. Here's how it works:

Send them a list of what you want to sell them.
They will respond in a few days, give or take, depending on how busy they are.
They will give you 70% of what they are going to list it for.
They give you a price, and then tell you what their listed price will be.
Make a trip with your guitar(s)....or ship them to them if you are not local to Chicago.

Here's the good stuff, if you're familiar with GC buying practices.
They look over your guitar, write down the serial number, plug it in and strum it a couple of times.
Print you a check for exactly what they quoted via email. NO HAGGLING WHATSOEVER.

Last time I was there, I sold 12 guitars. I was in, and out, of the store in less than 45 minutes with a check for the exact amount they quoted without even seeing the guitars.

Sweetwater recently launched "Gear Exchange" which I think is meant to go head to head with Reverb. I've never used it so I can't say one way or the other about it.
I’ve been watching the Gear Exchange site and they don’t have much right now though. I’m thinking that’s due to a combination of not much traffic and maybe they jumped into the game a little too late. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I sold a guitar through them in September. It was listed for about 5 weeks and sold for my asking price, which was well over-market.
It would be interesting to see if that same scenario would have happened if you listed it on Reverb?

I sold a guitar through them in September. It was listed for about 5 weeks and sold for my asking price, which was well over-market.
I couldn’t figure out how to list it on gear exchange.

A huge +1 for CME. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them yourself, reach out to the Buyers at CME. I have done a ton of business with them and am shocked how upfront and honest they are with their buying process. Here's how it works:

Send them a list of what you want to sell them.
They will respond in a few days, give or take, depending on how busy they are.
They will give you 70% of what they are going to list it for.
They give you a price, and then tell you what their listed price will be.
Make a trip with your guitar(s)....or ship them to them if you are not local to Chicago.

Here's the good stuff, if you're familiar with GC buying practices.
They look over your guitar, write down the serial number, plug it in and strum it a couple of times.
Print you a check for exactly what they quoted via email. NO HAGGLING WHATSOEVER.

Last time I was there, I sold 12 guitars. I was in, and out, of the store in less than 45 minutes with a check for the exact amount they quoted without even seeing the guitars.
well heck b, i’d be dumb not to give you 70% of used list on almost everything you ever sold (not the one ibanaz). thank fook chicago is so far over dere.

Or getting tax forms from Reverb at the end of the year because of your gross sales…..(over $600)

Or getting tax forms from Reverb at the end of the year because of your gross sales…..(over $600)
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned the new tax laws. I am betting there are going to be a lot of surprised people next year in January when the 1099Ks come out. I am not a tax professional but I have done my own taxes for years and understand things fairly well. I also manage a team that takes care of the ERP in the large company I work in. I am not an accountant but I have a general understanding of accounting. From what I am seeing from posts on various forums about these new laws, there is a lot of misunderstanding about them.

There is a conversation going on at another forum about accepting tips using cash apps. This falls under the same rules. People think they have it figured out but there is language in the 1099-k section on the IRS site that says their understanding is wrong and they will be claiming income next year for the tips they have received this year.

Even people that will not owe taxes will deal with the extra paperwork of proving they didn't make any money on the sale to show they don't owe anything. That frustration alone is a cost IMHO. The only people this will be easy on are the ones that keep records of their gear purchases like they are a business. It will be extra paperwork but they will have the receipts to prove things. My receipts for some of the items I would like to sell are long gone. I have had these items for 15 years or more and have moved a few times through those years.

Back