Bohemian Rhapsody

Thanks for the review. Been wanting to know if it was good and seeing some mixed reviews.

Oh, and while there are others, including Bohemian Rhapsody, my favorite is Dragon Attack. Keep Yourself Alive is top 5 for sure. maybe top 3 for me also.

My wife and I went to see it tonight. What a GREAT movie! The cinematography was incredible as was the acting.

My favorite Queen song is the first one I ever heard way back in 1973........Keep Yourself Alive.

I'm rather fond of Tie Your Mother Down, too.......

Thanks for the review. Been wanting to know if it was good and seeing some mixed reviews.

Oh, and while there are others, including Bohemian Rhapsody, my favorite is Dragon Attack. Keep Yourself Alive is top 5 for sure. maybe top 3 for me also.

After reading your post, I did google for reviews. I was surprised by some of the very negative ones. Maybe “great” was a bit superlative, but I did think it was very entertaining. It was a little overly dramatic at times, but I still thought the acting was good (especially Freddie’s role), and the cinematography of the “live” music scenes was awesome. If not a rock or Queen fan, one might leave the theater less enthused.

I thought it was great as well. Rami Malek was awesome as Freddie - it’s a hard thing to pull off with a guy that well known, but I forgot a couple times that it was Malek. The guy who played John Deacon absolutely nailed it, from the facial expressions to the sarcastic comments to the fact that he was easy to overlook in the movie.

I’ve seen a few complaints that some of the songs were out of order - as much as I am a stickler about that stuff, it didn’t bother me because this isn’t a documentary. Let’s face it - this stuff was primarily 40 years ago, and in the story they were trying to tell, it wasn’t important that “Fat Bottomed Girls” came after “We Will Rock You”, they were trying to build up to WWRY being a thank you to the fans. Showing FBG after that would have been anti-climatic, plus it wouldn’t have played as well with the lead-in to the era when Queen was somewhat down (if not as inactive as portrayed). Same thing with the AIDS reveal - it happened some time after Live Aid, but it wouldn’t have worked as well to have that story after the Live Aid scene.

It reminds me of one of my favorite (stolen) lines, and one that my wife reminds me of whenever I object to something in a movie or TV show. I’ll say, “Why on earth would character X do that?” And she’ll say, “Because that’s what the writer told them to do.”

The thing that actually bugged me more about this film is the idea that they “glossed over” Freddie’s background (they didn’t) or his sexuality (again, they didn’t). The information was there, it just wasn’t drilled into your skull. There’s a difference between ignoring a story point and not making it the focal point.

I’m not sure if my daughter has seen it, but I told her I’d absolutely go again if it’s still in theaters next time we’re together. This will be a no-brainer Blu-Ray purchase for me. FYI - rumor is they filmed a full recreation of the Live Aid performance and it will all be on the home video release. That’s cool, and I’ll enjoy it, but I saw the real thing on TV that day, and I’ve got it on DVD and BD.

Back