Bohemian Rhapsody

Took my family to see it on the weekend. My wife is a professional opera singer, and my 14 and 16 year olds' music tastes are just horrible, so I wasn't sure what reaction I'd get from them. The whole family was blown away by the music, and the talent that was Freddie Mercury and Queen. It takes a lot to get me to tear up in a movie, but I was weeping like a 15 year old who just lost her iPhone during the Live Aid Bohemian Rhapsody scene. Of course, my wife could really appreciate Freddie's vocal range and control, and his command as a performer, and then my son, who like most teen boys doesn't share much, said "yeah, Bohemian Rhapsody is one of 2 "psyche up songs" we blast before our swim meets" - who woulda thunk!?

Got home and haven't stopped blasting Queen - Live Killers. Now there's one of the most underrated live albums of all time - Queen in all their glory and musical mastery. I love that it's about as raw as a live album can get - all the things that would normally get edited/cleaned up are left in. And "Brighton Rock"... kinda leaves you speechless!

P.S. Who cast Howard Stern as Brian May? Perfect choice! ;)

Last edited:
So, little more detailed review, as seems to be the thing...I did love it, but being a total Queen NERD, I knew I would. But, there are some timeline mistakes (this song released before that time frame, when Freddie broke the news about his AIDS, etc...) I guess that falls into "get the important stuff into a 2 hour flick". Being as we are discussing shedding the proverbial tears...Totally lost it when I saw Paul Rodgers (about 10 years ago w/ Queen) sing the end of Radio ga-ga…"Someone Still Loves You"...yeah, totally stupid sappy, but for some reason, that line gets me EVERY time...Always picture Freddie singing it, too. But the one thing that really got me, was John Deacon, and the amount of moving around "he" did in the film. I saw them back in the day, and you'd swear the real Deacy was a frickin statue with a bass around his neck. Now, absolutely KILLER player/musician, but he was never running around getting wild on stage like the actor that portrayed him. Just my 2 cents...Still Killer Flick!!!!

So, little more detailed review, as seems to be the thing...I did love it, but being a total Queen NERD, I knew I would. But, there are some timeline mistakes (this song released before that time frame, when Freddie broke the news about his AIDS, etc...) I guess that falls into "get the important stuff into a 2 hour flick". Being as we are discussing shedding the proverbial tears...Totally lost it when I saw Paul Rodgers (about 10 years ago w/ Queen) sing the end of Radio ga-ga…"Someone Still Loves You"...yeah, totally stupid sappy, but for some reason, that line gets me EVERY time...Always picture Freddie singing it, too. But the one thing that really got me, was John Deacon, and the amount of moving around "he" did in the film. I saw them back in the day, and you'd swear the real Deacy was a frickin statue with a bass around his neck. Now, absolutely KILLER player/musician, but he was never running around getting wild on stage like the actor that portrayed him. Just my 2 cents...Still Killer Flick!!!!

I noticed some of the timeline things, but I told myself to let it go - my wife tells me I'm way too picky about that stuff. The Live Aid stuff got me, especially when Freddie adjusts the piano. It's such a little thing, but I've watched that performance probably a hundred times or more, and I noticed that detail even while watching it live. I know it's attention to detail, but man, it still hit me. And I get chills every time when the crowd at Live Aid does the clap thing from the video.

My daughter is coming home tom'w, and seeing this is on our agenda if I can find a theater still showing it here.

We're watching the Golden Globes right now and the hosts mentioned Bohemian Rhapsody and then cut to the crowd. My wife asked "Is that Brian May?" My heart just melted knowing that she now knows who Brian May is!

It cleaned up, too. Amazing to me that it got a few not-so-glowing reviews and then goes on to be the biggest winner on the Golden Globes. I should know better than to listen to critics.

We saw it at cinema over the holidays, really well done, and brought back a lot of memories. Best movie of last year for sure.

I have got a copy of queen rock montreal, saving it for a rainy day in.

I wanted to take my daughter while she was home from college, but never got the chance. So instead, I got her tickets to see Queen live in Toronto in July. She's going because of Adam Lambert. I'm going because of Dr. May. It's a win win in my book.

That'll be a GREAT show. Saw them, with Lambert, 3 or 4 years ago. Stunning show. Simply great.

I wanted to take my daughter while she was home from college, but never got the chance. So instead, I got her tickets to see Queen live in Toronto in July. She's going because of Adam Lambert. I'm going because of Dr. May. It's a win win in my book.

I took my daughter when she came home for Christmas. She wants to see them this summer. I already have tix for me and a buddy here - it's middle of the week, so it's hard for her to get up here for the show. But they're playing by her the night before, so there's a slim chance I'll take a couple days off to go down there. Which would mean Queen/Queen/ELO on three consecutive days, plus about 9 hours of driving the first two days.

There are also drawbacks to the idea.

I took my daughter when she came home for Christmas. She wants to see them this summer. I already have tix for me and a buddy here - it's middle of the week, so it's hard for her to get up here for the show. But they're playing by her the night before, so there's a slim chance I'll take a couple days off to go down there. Which would mean Queen/Queen/ELO on three consecutive days, plus about 9 hours of driving the first two days.

There are also drawbacks to the idea.

You're gonna enjoy the ELO show. Saw them back in August. Really good.

May* work in reverse, Peter.

*No pun intended.
Given the popularity of the movie, it very well could. I have taken a pocket of cash to a couple of events and had decent luck getting reasonably good prices close to start time. The worst that happens is I don’t get a ticket so find a nice dinner in the city instead.

I’m I the only one that did not like this movie? The music was fantastic, but the movie was not that good.

I’m I the only one that did not like this movie? The music was fantastic, but the movie was not that good.

Well, you have said you need brain surgery, so that could explain it! :p

I’ve seen a few people have issues with the movie. Some of those were misguided (like the people upset that it allegedly didn’t show Freddie with enough men, or didn’t show it graphically enough). Some of those were fact-based (like ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ being shows as played before ‘We Will Rock You’). Honestly, I’m kind of surprised the factual stuff didn’t bother me more - it usually does with stuff I know pretty well - but I was able to tell myself this wasn’t a documentary,

It’s all good as long as you don’t treat people like dolts for disagreeing.

Back