Sic Transit Gloria...

All three of my daughters know pretty much every Beatle song. They've seen Paul McCartney a few times... My youngest couldn't wait to see "Love" in Vegas when she was 11...

I remember bringing home a "Green Day" CD years ago. They thought it was for them... It wasn't... :rolleyes:

When my youngest was 3, I remember her, sitting in her carseat, singing "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", by Aerosmith, at the top of her lungs...

I am also well versed in "All Things Taylor Swift"...

All three of my daughters know pretty much every Beatle song. They've seen Paul McCartney a few times... My youngest couldn't wait to see "Love" in Vegas when she was 11...

I remember bringing home a "Green Day" CD years ago. They thought it was for them... It wasn't... :rolleyes:

When my youngest was 3, I remember her, sitting in her carseat, singing "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", by Aerosmith, at the top of her lungs...

I am also well versed in "All Things Taylor Swift"...
As a small boy my son used to say his ambition was to be in Paul McCartney's band.

As luck would have it, a few years ago he was invited to a dinner party Paul and Ringo hosted after the Grammys. There weren't a lot of guests, so he was able to spend some time talking with Paul about the creative process. Also pretty cool - he was seated with The Eagles at dinner (!).

He's the one who often tells me about new artists, so I stay pretty up to date. But neither of us listen to a lot of Taylor Swift.

My daughters are Beatles fans, too. They've seen McCartney live. I saw Harrison and Lennon when they toured, but not Paul.

As a small boy my son used to say his ambition was to be in Paul McCartney's band.

As luck would have it, a few years ago he was invited to a dinner party Paul and Ringo hosted after the Grammys. There weren't a lot of guests, so he was able to spend some time talking with Paul about the creative process. Also pretty cool - he was seated with The Eagles at dinner (!).

He's the one who often tells me about new artists, so I stay pretty up to date. But neither of us listen to a lot of Taylor Swift.

My daughters are Beatles fans, too. They've seen McCartney live. I saw Harrison and Lennon when they toured, but not Paul.

How do you expect us to make a "Shitach"? I'm sorry, but it'll never work out... ;)

They've seen McCartney live. I saw Harrison and Lennon when they toured, but not Paul.
The wife and I were fortunate enough to see him in 2017, when he was only 75. The most I've ever spent on concert tickets....7th row, center. He was AMAZING! Three plus hours without a break, and he sounded so good. Band was terrific, as you would expect. It's funny, he was wearing a white shirt, and there was a spot light on his from the rear. Every picture I took he looked like an energy blob. After the show I commented to my wife about them. We concluded that maybe Paul really is dead.

Our kids were dancing to the Stones as toddlers and were raised on a British Invasion diet of Beatles, Stones and hard rock with Zep & AC/DC. Still some of their favorite music.

Never took advantage of seeing any of the Beatles live, my cousin was the only one to see them (St. Louis in '66) but saw the rest: Zep once, Stones twice & AC/DC a half dozen.

Our kids were dancing to the Stones as toddlers and were raised on a British Invasion diet of Beatles, Stones and hard rock with Zep & AC/DC. Still some of their favorite music.

Never took advantage of seeing any of the Beatles live, my cousin was the only one to see them (St. Louis in '66) but saw the rest: Zep once, Stones twice & AC/DC a half dozen.

The last time I saw the Stones was in 1982 at Wembley. I remember thinking at the time that I'd better go see them, despite them being quite some way beyond their sell-by date; it seemed unlikely they'd ever tour again.....

By contrast, I also remember thinking, after Bob Marley's concert in 1980 at Toulon: "I'd really love to see him again the next time he comes over here....."

My wife saw the Beatles on their first American tour - she had just started middle school. Her dad took her, and had three extra tickets for her to take friends. There was a holiday of some kind that weekend and families had plans, so only one other kid's parents said yes.

They gave two tickets away at the door. Second row seats. To the Beatles. Had to give 'em away! :oops:

I think the 1950 - 1975 era of music (of many genres) was a golden age and don't know we will ever see anything like it again! It changed the world in many ways and I don't know any other era or styles of music can make as bold a claim ;~)) Never had a chance to see any of the fab 4, but I did work backstage on the Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" tour! Got paid $50 to stand around back stage before show, during show stood in audience off side of stage and after show, worked for about 15 minutes folding some tarps after which they said I could go! It was a last minute thing when a friend called me to work it, had to be there in less than an hour and I made it. The boys passed by me about 15 feet away at one point, but we had been instructed to not "engage" them in any way ;~)) Sic transit gloria indeed!

Poor parenting!

^This! :D

Seriously though, I certainly (as a parent and grandparent) get the generational disconnect on pop culture. But "Hey Jude" isn't exactly an obscure B-side. Even if you're not "familiar with the Beatles", it seems almost inexplicable that one wouldn't be at least have been bombarded with it's use enough over ANY of the last 5 decades to the point it was at least recognizable.

But "Hey Jude" isn't exactly an obscure B-side. Even if you're not "familiar with the Beatles", it seems almost inexplicable that one wouldn't be at least have been bombarded with it's use enough over ANY of the last 5 decades to the point it was at least recognizable.
Definitely!

Back