Sic Transit Gloria...

László

Too Many Notes
Today my wife was talking with a young woman she works with - mid-twenties - and her co-worker asked about her trip to CA to see my son and attend a baby shower. She wanted to see pics. In the process of showing photos, a clip my wife took of my son playing and singing 'Hey Jude' just for fun started up.

She said to my wife, "What's that song?"

"It's 'Hey Jude'," my wife replied. She got a blank stare. "It's a classic song! C'mon, it's by The Beatles!"

"I don't know The Beatles," said the young woman. "I've never heard that song."

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi...

Today my wife was talking with a young woman she works with - mid-twenties - and her co-worker asked about her trip to CA to see my son and attend a baby shower. She wanted to see pics. In the process of showing photos, a clip my wife took of my son playing and singing 'Hey Jude' just for fun started up.

She said to my wife, "What's that song?"

"It's 'Hey Jude'," my wife replied. She got a blank stare. "It's a classic song! C'mon, it's by The Beatles!"

"I don't know The Beatles," said the young woman. "I've never heard that song."

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi...

I quite often have this conversation with work colleagues who are about half my age, films/music/books, they have never seen/heard/read. But I suppose it’s generational.

I quite often have this conversation with work colleagues who are about half my age, films/music/books, they have never seen/heard/read. But I suppose it’s generational.

I have never had a problem getting along with
people who I have a vast difference in age with.
Friend's parents, old people when I was young,
young people now, etc.

There have been many times when I have started talking about an event I was present for
and the person I was telling about it says, "You were there?! I learned about that in high school.
It happened before I was born.".

It's something the academics are already discussing. Think about it: for the first time in history a whole generation can (if they want to) consume media produced by that very same generation.
The music, comics, stories, movies, news, books... that we had when we were young were produced by the previous generations. However, kids nowadays can isolate themselves in YouTubes, TikToks, Twitches... who are produced by kids more of less the same age. There has always been a generational gap, but nowadays that gap has turned into a chasm...

Last edited:
In fairness, I cannot recite even one line of lyrics from any hip hop song ever written. Of course the same is true of any opera ever written.
I can recite lines from operas, though not many, and they're mostly in Italian or German, so I hardly know what they mean.

Maybe that's not a bad thing? ;)

Back