Heckuva Gig - Video Added

It is one of life's great joys to watch one of your children excel at something. I can only imagine how proud you must be. Shame you couldn't go in person but getting well is more important and means you can make the most of more opportunities in the future.
Amazing that he got to play Wrigley Field; I have an odd affinity for it since watching the Pearl Jam film "Let's Play Two" (though I've never been to Chicago or ever watched a baseball game!)

It is one of life's great joys to watch one of your children excel at something. I can only imagine how proud you must be.
It's the best!

There's probably a fine line between being a proud dad and being an obnoxious dad-bragger. Unfortunately, I have no idea where that line is drawn.

I'm guessing I cross it!

But I figure we musicians have at least some experience in the arts, and most of us know how difficult it is to get anywhere in music, art, drama, etc. So I think many here can relate to seeing young people and friends doing the hard thing and making it work.

Plus, you know, it's my kids doing that stuff! ;)

It's the best!

There's probably a fine line between being a proud dad and being an obnoxious dad-bragger. Unfortunately, I have no idea where that line is drawn.

I'm guessing I cross it!

But I figure we musicians have at least some experience in the arts, and most of us know how difficult it is to get anywhere in music, art, drama, etc. So I think many here can relate to seeing young people and friends doing the hard thing and making it work.

I think you are still on the sane pride side of the situation! When you start telling people that your kid is the GOAT and better than their kids, etc., that's when you have become the obnoxious dad-bragger! Keep sharing, we all love hearing it for reasons you have elicited as well as our own reasons!!

Wednesday evening I was supposed to be in Chicago, seeing my son perform at Wrigley Field with The Academy Is. I had looked forward to it for months!

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men...

My recent hospital trip put paid to that idea. Too soon to do any traveling. But my daughters came to the rescue; they face-timed with my wife and I and we got to see and hear the show. The audio wasn’t the best of course, but we heard everything well enough and watched. Vicarious fun!

The band was killer! My son said the gig was the best ever. This is part of the tour they went to England for, with Fallout Boy.

Wrigley was sold out. Here are a couple of pics they sent afterward:

JdwNeAb.jpg

Above pic - My son is on the left. And the obligatory Jumbotron shot:

7pA43H7.jpg
Nice

It's the best!

I'm guessing I cross it!

If it's "my kid is better than yours because...(insert reason)" then that's the wrong side of the fence. If it's "look what my kid did, I'm so proud" I think that's a good thing.
I will never stop telling people how wonderful my daughter is; there's little enough love being spread in the world so it's our job as parents to make sure our children get as much as they can.
Dad-brag away!

I just read the air was so clear and weather so nice the noise complaints were more than usual as the sound carried so well.

Congrats Les, that's a proud moment!

My daughters said that the other band members in The Academy Is told them backstage after the show that it was the best performance. They were inspired by the crowd, the venue, the whole deal, because both their band and Fallout Boy were originally Chicago bands.

They also said that Fallout Boy put on an absolutely incredible show.

Gotta be happy about that! So yeah, despite the noise, Chicago got a treat, as did the proud family! :)

Last edited:
Tonight my son has another stadium gig. This one's in Los Angeles, and like the other, part of the tour the band is doing with Fallout Boy. Big Stadium gigs! My goodness, that's so cool, says the dad.

I initially thought that his gigs with The Academy Is were only for this tour and the show in Chicago last fall, but per the band's messaging he's part of the group. He sure likes the guys, so that's great!

I was told I'd get pics. If I do, I'll post them.

'Course, I did stadium gigs at 16 - high school gyms count as stadiums, right?? ;)

Tonight my son has another stadium gig. This one's in Los Angeles, and like the other, part of the tour the band is doing with Fallout Boy. Stadium gigs!

I initially thought that his gigs with The Academy Is were only for this tour and the show in Chicago last fall, but per the band's messaging he's part of the group. He sure likes the guys, so that's great!

'Course, I did stadium gigs at 16 - high school gyms are kinda-sorta very little stadiums, aren't they?? ;)
That’s awesome!

Tonight my son has another stadium gig. This one's in Los Angeles, and like the other, part of the tour the band is doing with Fallout Boy. Big Stadium gigs! My goodness, that's so cool, says the dad.

'Course, I did stadium gigs at 16 - high school gyms count as stadiums, right?? ;)
I see a new reality show "Parent To The Stars"! Congrats to your son and the proud Papa!!

I got video from backstage last night, taken by the drummer's wife; the stadium was packed, audience pumping arms, etc. Very cool! But I shouldn't post anything without band approval first.

I'm hoping for pics I can post at some point later today.

Video! Someone in the audience shot a video of the entire LA set. The sound is pretty good, too!

This is a really good, well-rehearsed band, and they put on a great show. Plus there's a shout-out for my son's birthday (also the drummer's) at around the 19 minute mark. Fun!

It's a really good performance!

Last edited:
Back