My Boy at The When We Were Young Festival - In Two Bands, Added Pics And Video

Congrats Les! An awesome experience I bet!

I played to about 20 people last night, of which half were other musicians who finished their set or waiting to play after us...

Which is too bad, it was a foodbank donation & fundraiser event, where price of admission was a small donation of food items (or cash if you preferred).

Obligatory pics showing crowd during The Academy Is' performance.

MuJ5AqG.jpg

7YjPZ2K.jpg

During 30 Seconds to Mars show.

YUIMsoR.jpg

OK, folks. 30 Seconds to Mars - VIDEO! Jamie sounds pretty darn good - there wasn't time for many rehearsals! You just have to be ready to learn the material FAST. FOH did a nice job. Jamie's stage right and is on the big screen for about two seconds, but you'll hear him because he's the only guitarist.

Of course, in these audience phone videos the only thing you can really see are the big screens. Everyone on stage is a tiny apparition. And yes, I found this video googling on the web because I'm Stalker Dad. ;)

Last edited:
That's a good idea! I could play one note, and since less is more, that would be the entire performance, and there'd only be one person there to see it - me!

Note to self: Order a mirror.

I'd go for one of those fun house style mirrors. It will make the "crowd" look bigger. Not necessarily in flattering ways, but still...

I played to about 20 people last night, of which half were other musicians who finished their set or waiting to play after us...

Which is too bad, it was a foodbank donation & fundraiser event, where price of admission was a small donation of food items (or cash if you preferred).

Human psychology is a weird thing. People appreciate things in proportion to the price of admission.

When I get booked for high paying, national ad gigs I'm treated extremely well.

If I accept the rare below-market-rate gig for soundtracks, I get treated like crap. There's no such thing as, "We're getting a bargain, so let's be at least minimally appreciative." On the contrary.

If I do someone a freebie favor, forget it. The expression, "No good deed goes unpunished," applies. Happened too many times to count.

If the admission to this fundraiser was high-dollar, high rollers would show up, they'd think they were getting their money's worth. If admission costs a can of food, I guess the assumption is, "Why bother with this, it obviously doesn't matter much."

I'll never understand human beings and can't wait to go back to my own planet where everyone is treated equally terribly. ;)

Last edited:
Both of today's shows went well - my son said he had a blast!

T.A.I. went on in the afternoon, and Mars went on after dark. I was sent some great pics, but I don't know whether it's OK to post them, so for now I won't. But judging from pics from backstage, it looks like they played for a sea of people.

60,000 people is a heckuva good crowd to play for!

"You've certainly never done it, loser."

"True. But a zillion people have heard my music on TV ads. Doesn't that count?"

"Dude. The only people who sit through TV ads are the ones who don't know how to use the remote to fast-forward through the commercials."

"Wait, you're saying people don't watch the commercials? But they're such pithy mini-dramas or mini-comedies -- you'd think folks would be fascinated!"

"People do get off the couch and take a pith when commercials come on, I'll grant you that. But commercials also pith a lot of people off!" :rolleyes:

"I thirtainly don't underthtand why!"
1) "How do you think the unthinkable?"

"With an itheburg."

2) "What do you say to someone who comes up to you and says, 'I am Thor!'"

"Tell them to take thome athpirin."

Back