I watched the The Cult concert in Chicago!

littlebadboy

One of the bands that inspired me to play was The Cult! I have always wanted to see them play live as a teenager in the 80s. Being in a third world Asian country, I always thought that there would be zero chance that they would come. I wouldn't have afforded the ticket anyway. It took me almost 4 decades to finally being able to watch them now that I'm in America, and even better because I was accompanied by my already adult son! I had the biggest smile watching them! What an amazing experience and show!

Pictures with description and a compilation video...

The Riviera Theatre in Chicago was a great venue because it catches the old Chicago vibe.

This was the stage level. I preferred the balcony as we get to sit and see the whole view of the set... part of my being a gear geek.

My son and I. I realized how old I was when I noticed that the crowd was composed of 99% daddys and mommys, and grandparents too! And... we noticed that we were the only Asians in the house too!

And, the mayhem starts!

The vocal exciter, Ian Astbury! Looking good at 60!

My guitar idol, Billy Duffy with his black and lemon burst Les Pauls made by the Gibson custom shop! Not a flashy shredder, but very melodic.

Billy Duffy with his iconic Gretsch G7593T Falcons in black and white.

John Tempesta was on drums (ex Exodus, Testament and White Zombie), Grant Fitzpatrick on bass, and Damon Fox on keyboards.

I really enjoyed the show! I had the widest smile from start to end! It was a dream come true moment for me! The show was incredible too as it was like watching a non-stop action movie! My son enjoyed it a lot too eventhough it wasn't his generation!

Thanks for reading and watching!

Oh now that’s cool! One of my favorites. I got the cops called on me more than once for cranking The Cult back in the day! Friggin haters!! Glad you finally crossed paths with your original inspiration! Doesn’t get much better than that from my experience! Thanks for sharing!

Screenshot_20220713-174947_Gallery4ba6d8702011dd76.jpg

Were you there too?
I was! It was a great music day. Started in CME. There was a new band there Mac Saturn hanging out before the show up in Ravinia, where they opened for the Black Crowes. Then over to Riv for The Cult and BRMC. I'd never heard of Zola Jesus and that was cool to see a new to me act. No guitar though, but a violin and bass with her killer pipes. I thought it was a great show. I'm a big fan of BRMC and Duffy sounded great for the Cult. All in all it was a great day and a helluva way to spend a Tuesday..

One of the bands that inspired me to play was The Cult! I have always wanted to see them play live as a teenager in the 80s. Being in a third world Asian country, I always thought that there would be zero chance that they would come. I wouldn't have afforded the ticket anyway. It took me almost 4 decades to finally being able to watch them now that I'm in America, and even better because I was accompanied by my already adult son! I had the biggest smile watching them! What an amazing experience and show!

Pictures with description and a compilation video...

The Riviera Theatre in Chicago was a great venue because it catches the old Chicago vibe.

This was the stage level. I preferred the balcony as we get to sit and see the whole view of the set... part of my being a gear geek.

My son and I. I realized how old I was when I noticed that the crowd was composed of 99% daddys and mommys, and grandparents too! And... we noticed that we were the only Asians in the house too!

And, the mayhem starts!

The vocal exciter, Ian Astbury! Looking good at 60!

My guitar idol, Billy Duffy with his black and lemon burst Les Pauls made by the Gibson custom shop! Not a flashy shredder, but very melodic.

Billy Duffy with his iconic Gretsch G7593T Falcons in black and white.

John Tempesta was on drums (ex Exodus, Testament and White Zombie), Grant Fitzpatrick on bass, and Damon Fox on keyboards.

I really enjoyed the show! I had the widest smile from start to end! It was a dream come true moment for me! The show was incredible too as it was like watching a non-stop action movie! My son enjoyed it a lot too eventhough it wasn't his generation!

Thanks for reading and watching!

Showing my age here - I saw them back in (from memory) summer 1986 when they played Ibrox in Glasgow with Simple Minds headlining. Not a huge Simple Minds fan (I went with someone else who was) but Simple Minds started with Waterfront and my two memorioes of the day are i) the bass on the introduction to Waterfront (and Charlie B's opening guitar chords) sounded huge and 2) Ian Astbury waving his di@£ at the crowd... no idea why. Suppose you could do things like that back then. Loved and bought 'Love' back in the day (probably still have it somewhere).

Last edited:
Back