Hurdy Gurdy thread

Cool & thanks!

I remember the Donovan song from long ago but, being pre-internet, never took the time to investigate what a hurdy gurdy was.

Hi Moondog thanks for starting this thread about what is a unique, distinctive and brilliant instrument!

Welcome to the world of hurdy gurdies. Along with pipe organs, they're probably one of the earliest and longest-surviving mechanical instruments , with origins dating back to the middle ages. I do indeed have one, though mine's not as fancy as the ones above (think Telecaster as against Wood Library CU24!), but essentially they all work the same, in that you crank the handle to vibrate the strings, while playing the melody keys - as you'll hear this gives a drone sound over which the melody is played. They can be temperamental at times (if you think you have problems with setting up a trem then try to correctly tune a gurdy!), and mine needs a bit of TLC, though I get a hell of a lot lot of pleasure from it. It also improves your rhythm chops, as you need to "play" the rhythm parts by creating the "buzz" you can hear by putting pressure on a small loose bridge by way of pressurising the hand crank (that's the best way of explaining it I think!) - it's the most difficult part of learning the instrument, but probably the most rewarding.

I doubt it PRS - or any other major instrument firm - would look at making these, given their complexity and the likely small number of customers. As far as I'm aware gurdies are almost all made by individual makers, and there are a number of them, principally in Europe, the US and UK - mine was made by a lady called Clare Dougie whose workshop is in Ramsgate on the Kent coast here in the UK, and who now makes some stunning modernistic ones.

I'm afraid to disappoint, but I'm not sure that Donovan's version of HGM actually has a gurdy on it! However the version by Steve Hillage certainly does. Also Jimmy Page (who I think plays on the Donovan song?) Can be seen playing a gurdy at the start of the film The Song Remains The Same, though I don't think he's playing very well as the strings sound as though they're getting caught! Having said this, Page and Plant used a gurdy (played by the excellent Nigel Eaton) on their "No Quarter" album and subsequent unplugged session (the version of The Battle Of Evermore is particularly memorable, also for Najma Akhtar who does a brilliant job on the vocals).

I'll see if I can post a few more YouTube links later (sorry but I'm not great at that sort of thing), but hope this thread encourages you to investigate this wonderful instrument more.

Hi Moondog thanks for starting this thread about what is a unique, distinctive and brilliant instrument!

Welcome to the world of hurdy gurdies. Along with pipe organs, they're probably one of the earliest and longest-surviving mechanical instruments , with origins dating back to the middle ages. I do indeed have one, though mine's not as fancy as the ones above (think Telecaster as against Wood Library CU24!), but essentially they all work the same, in that you crank the handle to vibrate the strings, while playing the melody keys - as you'll hear this gives a drone sound over which the melody is played. They can be temperamental at times (if you think you have problems with setting up a trem then try to correctly tune a gurdy!), and mine needs a bit of TLC, though I get a hell of a lot lot of pleasure from it. It also improves your rhythm chops, as you need to "play" the rhythm parts by creating the "buzz" you can hear by putting pressure on a small loose bridge by way of pressurising the hand crank (that's the best way of explaining it I think!) - it's the most difficult part of learning the instrument, but probably the most rewarding.

I doubt it PRS - or any other major instrument firm - would look at making these, given their complexity and the likely small number of customers. As far as I'm aware gurdies are almost all made by individual makers, and there are a number of them, principally in Europe, the US and UK - mine was made by a lady called Clare Dougie whose workshop is in Ramsgate on the Kent coast here in the UK, and who now makes some stunning modernistic ones.

I'm afraid to disappoint, but I'm not sure that Donovan's version of HGM actually has a gurdy on it! However the version by Steve Hillage certainly does. Also Jimmy Page (who I think plays on the Donovan song?) Can be seen playing a gurdy at the start of the film The Song Remains The Same, though I don't think he's playing very well as the strings sound as though they're getting caught! Having said this, Page and Plant used a gurdy (played by the excellent Nigel Eaton) on their "No Quarter" album and subsequent unplugged session (the version of The Battle Of Evermore is particularly memorable, also for Najma Akhtar who does a brilliant job on the vocals).

I'll see if I can post a few more YouTube links later (sorry but I'm not great at that sort of thing), but hope this thread encourages you to investigate this wonderful instrument more.
Thanks for that information and chiming in Gurdybloke! I keep telling myself I am going to dive down the rabbit hole on this incredible instrument and the stuff that has been produced with it, but have yet to take the plunge!! I would love to be able to experiment with one some day, but it is my understanding that they are quite expensive for anything worthwhile, so I don't know if/when that will ever happen.

Do you have any work of your own that you can share with us/me? I would love to hear all things HG at this point ;~))

Looking forward to the YT vids you come up with, it could push me into that rabbit hole mentioned above!!!

Hi All, apologies for not replying before now but I've had a lot on. The films are great however one of the reasons I haven't replied is that I've been trying to paste some videos from YouTube: but can I do it?? If someone could show me how to do this I'll then post some!

Yours in desperation.......

Yes I remember this now - it's a good tune though - and while I would in no way want to criticise the incredible Mr Page - the notes are getting strangled particularly at the end, as he's not holding it properly.

As you'll see from the other videos, the gurdy is either held at an angle or with the keys facing down. This is because the keys are gravity controlled and need to be free of the strings, otherwise they get caught and won't function. Therefore you either have to hold it at an angle away from you or downwards; otherwise you'll end up with the worst cats chorus you can imagine!!

I'd post some other examples if I knew how to; so if someone could explain yo me how to upload YouTube vids on here I'd be grateful!

Yes I remember this now - it's a good tune though - and while I would in no way want to criticise the incredible Mr Page - the notes are getting strangled particularly at the end, as he's not holding it properly.

As you'll see from the other videos, the gurdy is either held at an angle or with the keys facing down. This is because the keys are gravity controlled and need to be free of the strings, otherwise they get caught and won't function. Therefore you either have to hold it at an angle away from you or downwards; otherwise you'll end up with the worst cats chorus you can imagine!!

I'd post some other examples if I knew how to; so if someone could explain yo me how to upload YouTube vids on here I'd be grateful!
Agreed. It does tragically sound like bagpipes in this clip. :p:D

To post a youtube video, copy the URL of the video (ttps://youtube.com/xxxyyyzzz/) and then click on the icon in the edit window here that looks like two photo images stacked on top of each other (it is between the smiley face and the double quote icons along the top of the editing window). It is near the center of the icons on my screen. Then paste the URL of the vid in the pop up box and click the "Continue" button at the bottom of that pop up window where you pasted the URL. Then add whatever text you want to the post and click on "Post reply". PM me if you have any specific questions or troubles getting that going!!

Hi Moondog thanks that's most helpful and really appreciated! I'll give it a go and hopefully will post some stuff later.

I'm not really a technophobe - I used a lot of IT programmes at work and can manage to update the Helix without losing my saved settings - but this copy and paste stuff has just outfoxed me!

Back