Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 11top, Nov 17, 2018.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I haven’t been to a movie in a long time. Was it a talkie?

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Great write up, Alan,

Bill SAS 513 likes this.
  3. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Great interview with Rami Malek on Graham Norton (UK version of Jimmy Fallon), where he explained that he and the other actors depicting the band members, lived/worked together to get that band vibe for real. He also explained that the idea of the movie was to show Queen and not for it to be a biopic of Freddie and his sexuality.

He also said that the Live Aid performance was as verbatim as they could possibly make it!

Rusty Chos, WA Paul and 11top like this.
  4. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Here is my review.

Typically, I'm not a fan of biopics because they rarely do the subject justice. However, this not the case with Bohemian Rhapsody. The acting was great, the casting was terrific and the story line was compelling.
    A couple of highlights for me. (semi spoiler alert) 1) When Freddie makes his first appearance with the band and they play "Keep Yourself Alive", it raised the hair on my arms. 2) When Brian was in the studio recording the solo for "Killer Queen" (My favorite Queen song), 3) When Freddie and his father make amends. 4) When Freddie sits down at the piano at Live Aid and begins to play Bohemian Rhapsody. Chills.

Two thumbs up

5. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Agreed! I made that same point to my wife in our discussion on the way home.

alantig likes this.
  6. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Me, too!

[email protected] likes this.
  7. alantig

alantig SSBMA

I choked up several times during the Live Aid section. The one that surprised me was when Freddie reached up to adjust the sound of the piano. It’s a small detail, but it was burned into my brain for some reason. I fully expected it to be there, I just didn’t expect to have that reaction. The hand claps during Radio Ga-Ga - I got chills watching Live Aid when it happened, and I got them again during the movie. It’s just such a powerful moment. And when they started Hammer To Fall - it’s one of my favorite Queen songs, and when it started, my wife reached over and patted my arm.

8. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Hammer to fall is my favorite Queen song too. I grew up with the greatest hits 1 & 2 albums as tapes in the parents car so anything outside of these songs doesn't resonate with me. Regularly played on any long journey.

Boogie, WA Paul, 11top and 2 others like this.
  9. Alnus Rubra

I got to play Hammer to Fall in a band last year, love that riff so much, so powerful!

Brian May openly attributes it to the fact that they would play “Alright Now” as a warm up at rehearsals and that’s where the musical idea came from for the song.

Rusty Chos, WA Paul, TroyBaer and 4 others like this.
  10. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

Wife and I saw the movie last night. I would say it is a great movie. There were a couple of things that annoyed me but it was great.

I too thought the piano adjustment on stage was cool and something most people wouldn't even notice.

Rusty Chos and 11top like this.
  11. TroyBaer

TroyBaer Really knows where his towel is.

I saw this a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The monkeying with the order of events was my only issue with the movie. I get why they did it -- they needed to address Freddie's AIDS diagnosis, but they wanted to end with the Live Aid concert, which was 2-3 years before that diagnosis -- but it's still twisting the facts a bit.

There are a few reviews of this out there that make me think the reviewers saw a different movie than I did, though. At least one of them seems to be upset that this got made without the Borat guy, which IMNSHO would have been a colossal mistake.

12. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

I saw it opening night here in Hawaii. I am not a queen fan and I was actually dreading going for 1. opening night, 2. Queen. But I came away very pleasantly surprised. They treated the audience intelligently with regards to Freddies proclivities, we all knew it so it didn't have to be drilled into your face at every turn. I found it a solid performance from Rami Malik and it should be in contention for an Oscar. The rest was good, very good.

I don't listen to critics for this very reason. They all hated it for various reasons, yet everyone I've spoken to that has seen it loved it.

Rusty Chos and bodia like this.
  13. Alnus Rubra

“Drilled”!!

“Solid”!!

C’mon, I’m dying here!:D

ScottR and bodia like this.
  14. Birdsofprey

Birdsofprey Fly birdies fly!

Awesome movie well done.

15. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

ScottR, alantig, Boogie and 2 others like this.
  16. JMintzer

JMintzer Bobble Head Moderator

Saw the movie last night. Moved me to tears...

17. Alnus Rubra

18. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Nice review, Alan.

There was a fantastic interview with Rami Malek by Terry Gross the other day on NPR. Go lookup that podcast...it’s amazing.

19. alantig

alantig SSBMA

20. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Gotta love Andy Timmons!