Best Rock Riff

@mezzio: The Great Southern Trendkill as title track is like getting a smash into the face. No fade in, suddenly just raw power. I have difficulties naming another album with such a starter.

I didn't think I was going to like this thread but now I find myself glued to it.

Here's a few in no particular order.

Demise of Sanity - Zakk Wylde, BLS
Jenny - Tommy Tutone
Another Thing Commin' - Judas Priest
Breakin' The Law - Judas Priest
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Cold Blood - Kix
Seek and Destroy - Metallica
Wasted - Def Leppard
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Cat Scratched Fever - Ted Nugent

I think this thread has proven the difficulty is choosing 1 riff. :rolleyes::p

Or adhering to the definition of a rock riff. Too many people are putting chocolate in my peanut butter for this thread to keep its focus.

South of Heaven

It's best "rock riff" not the riff you need to know how to play to trigger the opening of the seventh seal of hell.

Or adhering to the definition of a rock riff. Too many people are putting chocolate in my peanut butter for this thread to keep its focus.

Ain't it the truth.

So, I said my wife, "What's the greatest rock riff?" And, she said, "Dust in the Wind."

Huh? Say what?

I mean, that's a great song, for sure, but we're talking great rock "riffs" here. She said, "I guess I don't understand what a "riff" is.

:p

I have many, but since I am a HUGE AC/DC fan, my two favorite from them are:

AC/DC - Hells Bells
The opening riff during the bell ringing.

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
After the lead intro, the power chords to the opening of the song just rock.
AAA
DDG
DDG
DDG
DAA
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Ain't it the truth.

So, I said my wife, "What's the greatest rock riff?" And, she said, "Dust in the Wind."

Huh? Say what?

I mean, that's a great song, for sure, but we're talking great rock "riffs" here. She said, "I guess I don't understand what a "riff" is.

:p
I actually googled riff to make sure I understood the concept after I saw some of the posts. :)

I went with Smoke on the Water because anyone who's touched a guitar has probably played it. I don't know about "the seventh seal of hell", but everyone knows that simple but ingenius riff.

"The Seventh Seal of Hell"
20cc9ee3075e52c1eedb197aae1aef2f.jpg

Don't let that smile fool you, he'll steal your soul...

Last edited:
Back