Best Rock Riff

Ha! I love your passion for music but how can you say Clapton and Knofler are "underrated" and/or "under appreciated"?

Those dudes are quite literally musical institutions with thousands of articles about them, have millions of dudes who worship them, and built their own mini-empire of signature musical instruments with their names stamped on 'em.

No, I don't agree. If you check it out, Knofler gets very few kudos, mainly "lip service", compared to other guitarists.
I admit, that with Clapton, it is better now, but not that many years ago he was totally dismissed as a "lightweight".
Another interesting fact about Clapton. The only influence that EVH has ever acknowledged is Clapton.
As a matter of fact, in the very early days, before DLR joined the band and Eddie was singing lead (and guitar, of course), they were essentially a Cream cover band.
That changed, but it's fact.

Maybe not the best but just some of my favorites

Rush Limelight
Ozzie Crazy Train
AC/DC Back in Black
Dokken Breaking the Chains
Iron Maiden The Trooper
Boston Long Time
Alice Cooper No More Mr Nice Guy
I've always been a Big Y&T fan so
Mean Streak
Lipstick and Leather

No, I don't agree. If you check it out, Knofler gets very few kudos, mainly "lip service", compared to other guitarists.
I admit, that with Clapton, it is better now, but not that many years ago he was totally dismissed as a "lightweight".
Another interesting fact about Clapton. The only influence that EVH has ever acknowledged is Clapton.
As a matter of fact, in the very early days, before DLR joined the band and Eddie was singing lead (and guitar, of course), they were essentially a Cream cover band.

Clapton has like, 18 Grammy Awards, has been inducted into the RRHOF three times, has a music festival named after him, and... what was his nickname in the 60's again?

Knofler has 4 Grammy Awards, holds 3 honorary doctorate degrees in music from 3 different universities along with receiving an Edison Award, the Steiger Award, and the Ivor Norvello Award.

If the world was any farther up their butt's they'd have annual parades... And I'm not sure they don't.

Not trying to be combative, they deserve all of it, but they're not exactly unappreciated.

Ha! I love your passion for music but how can you say Clapton and Knofler are "underrated" and/or "under appreciated"?

Those dudes are quite literally musical institutions with thousands of articles about them, have millions of dudes who worship them, and built their own mini-empire of signature musical instruments with their names stamped on 'em.

Yeah, but still. :D

Yes, there are so many.
"Money For Nothing" was my muse that nite. It's kinda simple, but at the same time incredibly complex. Just imagine you're sitting around "noodling" on your guitar.
And this happens. How is that possible? Creative genius. MEGA PROPS.
Knofler has always been underrated and rather unappreciated ... again JMO.

In reality, the best rock riff of all time (again, just my opinion), propelled everything after, is "Satisfaction".
Again, simple but incredibly powerful. People can diss Keith all they want (they can kiss my ass), but he came up with it, no-one else.
I would make the argument that it's the best/greatest/most influential song of all time ... and it was like 51 years ago. Most of you guys aren't even that old (including me).

While I'm on a roll (lol).
Most important rock guitarist of all time. And rather unappreciated and often dissed by people who don't know sh!t.

Eric Clapton.

Honestly, he changed rock forever and set the prototype sound that still defines rock.
The "Beano" album, what can I say, if you've never listened to it, do yourself a favour and check it out.
Trivia ... without looking it up ... why is it called the Beano album.

While I'm at it (pissin' everyone off), the greatest bands ...
1) Beatles
2) Eagles
3) Everyone else

The man that stands on the top of the mountain.
Hank Williams.

OK, rant over (lol). These are just my opinions. Not totally ignorant, founded in some knowledge.
Like I say ... "I Know A Little".

I'm just passionate about guitar and the pioneers.
Don't want them to be lost to history and their contributions overlooked.

If you wanna talk underrated, one name....Buddy Guy. Clapton did say, "he was to me what Elvis was to everyone else."

Biggest EVH influences are Blackmore for overall approach, and Jeff Beck / Rory Gallagher for the tapping. Of course Eddie will never admit the Blackmore influence, because Ritchie was such a dick toward him.

There are so many to choose from...but one that gets me is the riff Keith plays right before Mick starts singing in Gimme Shelter. The whole beginning grabs me.

Maybe not best ever, but a few that tickle me...

Kiss - Parasite

Kiss - Making Love

Kiss - Strange Ways (this sounds killer played on a 7-string)

Uncle Ted - Wang Dang Sweet Poontang

Yes, there are so many.
"Money For Nothing" was my muse that nite. It's kinda simple, but at the same time incredibly complex. Just imagine you're sitting around "noodling" on your guitar.
And this happens. How is that possible? Creative genius. MEGA PROPS.
Knofler has always been underrated and rather unappreciated ... again JMO.

In reality, the best rock riff of all time (again, just my opinion), propelled everything after, is "Satisfaction".
Again, simple but incredibly powerful. People can diss Keith all they want, but he came up with it, no-one else.
I would make the argument that it's the best/greatest/most influential song of all time ... and it was like 51 years ago. Most of you guys aren't even that old (including me).

While I'm on a roll (lol).
Most important rock guitarist of all time. And rather unappreciated and often dissed by some.

Eric Clapton. I felt George Harrison was somewhat dissed by some but he played his part with those riffs didn't he.

Honestly, he changed rock forever and set the prototype sound that still defines rock.
The "Beano" album, what can I say, if you've never listened to it, do yourself a favour and check it out.
Trivia ... without looking it up ... why is it called the Beano album.

While I'm at it (pissin' everyone off), the greatest bands ...
1) Beatles
2) Eagles
3) Everyone else

The man that stands on the top of the mountain.
Hank Williams.

OK, rant over (lol). These are just my opinions. Not totally ignorant, founded in some knowledge.
Like I say ... "I Know A Little".

I'm just passionate about guitar and the pioneers.
Don't want them to be lost to history and their contributions overlooked.

I'm a rhythm/riff man at heart. Nothing excites me more than starting out a song with a classic intro and watching everyone get excited. I prefer it over soloing TBH.

I'm going to list a lot, but I can't help it! So many great ones. I will limit one per group and ones not yet mentioned.

1. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
2. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
3. Tumblin' Dice - Rolling Stones
4. Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh
5. Life In The Fast Lane - Eagles
6. Hurt So Good - John Mellencamp
7. The Rover - Led Zeppelin (SO hard to pick just one Zep riff)
8. Crazy On You - Heart
9. Edge Of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
10. Still Of The Night - Whitesnake
12. Photograph - Def Leppard
13. Twice As Hard - Black Crowes
14. On The Hunt - Lynyrd Skynyrd
15. Hold On Loosely (or Caught Up In You, both great) - .38 Special
16. Her Strut - Bob Seger
17. Hot Blooded - Foreigner
18. The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
19. All Right Now - Free
20. Paperback Writer - Beatles

One of my favorite bands. One of my favorite songs. Possibly going to play a part in the next Periscope session.

Rebel Rebel, Bowie everybody knows that when it come's on!!!.

Bowie once told this classic story about that riff.

One night, I was in London in a hotel trying to get some sleep. It was quite late, like 11 or 12 at night, and I had some big deal thing on the next day, a TV show or something, and I heard this riff being played really badly from upstairs. I thought, “Who the hell is doing this at this time of night?”

On an electric guitar, over and over [sings riff to “Rebel Rebel” in a very hesitant, stop and start way]. So I went upstairs to show the person how to play the thing. So I bang on the door. The door opens, and I say, “Listen, if you’re going to play… ” and it was John McEnroe! I kid you not (laughs). It was McEnroe, who saw himself as some sort of rock guitar player at the time. That could only happen in a movie, couldn’t it? McEnroe trying to struggle his way through the “Rebel Rebel” riff.

McEnroe recalled it in his autobiography.

"In between rounds at Wimbledon in 1982, I struggled to learn David Bowie's Suffragette City and Rebel, Rebel in my hotel flat," McEnroe wrote. "I heard a knock on my door. It was David Bowie. 'Come up and have a drink,' he told me. 'Just don't bring your guitar.' "

Best (rock) riffs (Is Living Colour rock?)

Pantera´s Walk and I´m Broken

Crosstown Traffic (Cover by German Blues Guitarist Henrik Freischlader (He´s good friend to Joe Bonamassa.))

Last edited:
Back