4. - "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath
5. - "Say What You Will" - Fastway
6. - "Whole Lotta Rosie" - AC/DC
7. - "Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry
8. - "Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins, Elvis

Man. what a great topic! Just a few of my faves in no particular order:

1. - "Rock Candy" - Montrose
2. - "Mississippi Queen" - Mountain

Thumbs up. I was playing #1 at the Voo Doo Lounge just two weeks ago, and Mississippi Queen is my favorite rock song.

Last edited:
Wasn't pop, but check out Rainbow's Gates of Babylon.
Or South Side of the Sky by Yes.

AC/DC Back in Black is the greatest rock riff ever written. Come on....everybody knows that. :rolleyes:

(Though...the same time as I was typing this, Sergio had to confuse matters with Moby Dick...which is damn great AND in drop D.)

LOTS of great ones so far. Speaking of Yes, "Roundabout" has to be in the mix. RIP Mr. Squire, who made it so!

Lost of great stuff here for sure! Cult of Personality and Shallow are two of my faves, and Wedding Nails is pretty good too.

But the one that burned itself into my brain the first time I heard it and has never let go is Meshuggah's "Do Not Look Down." Many of you will probably hate it, but the power and groove of this sucker just kills me.

Yeah, Iommi is the zen master of the riff -- I just went with the first best one I could think of, otherwise my head would fall off.

Yes, there are so many.
"Money For Nothing" was my muse that nite. It's kinda simple, but at the same time incredibly complex. Just imagine you're sitting around "noodling" on your guitar.
And this happens. How is that possible? Creative genius. MEGA PROPS.
Knofler has always been underrated and rather unappreciated ... again JMO.

In reality, the best rock riff of all time (again, just my opinion), propelled everything after, is "Satisfaction".
Again, simple but incredibly powerful. People can diss Keith all they want, but he came up with it, no-one else.
I would make the argument that it's the best/greatest/most influential song of all time ... and it was like 51 years ago. Most of you guys aren't even that old (including me).

While I'm on a roll (lol).
Most important rock guitarist of all time. And rather unappreciated and often dissed by some.

Eric Clapton.

Honestly, he changed rock forever and set the prototype sound that still defines rock.
The "Beano" album, what can I say, if you've never listened to it, do yourself a favour and check it out.
Trivia ... without looking it up ... why is it called the Beano album.

While I'm at it (pissin' everyone off), the greatest bands ...
1) Beatles
2) Eagles
3) Everyone else

The man that stands on the top of the mountain.
Hank Williams.

OK, rant over (lol). These are just my opinions. Not totally ignorant, founded in some knowledge.
Like I say ... "I Know A Little".

I'm just passionate about guitar and the pioneers.
Don't want them to be lost to history and their contributions overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are so many.
"Money For Nothing" was my muse that nite. It's kinda simple, but at the same time incredibly complex. Just imagine your sitting around "noodling" on your guitar.
And this happens. How is that possible? Creative genius. MEGA PROPS.
Knofler has always been underrated and rather unappreciated ... again JMO.

In reality, the best rock riff of all time (again, just my opinion), propelled everything after, is "Satisfaction".
Again, simple but incredibly powerful. People can diss Keith all they want, but he came up with it, no-one else.
I would make the argument that it's the best/greatest/most influential song of all time ... and it was like 51 years ago. Most of you guys aren't even that old (including me).

While I'm on a roll (lol).
Most important rock guitarist of all time. And rather unappreciated and often dissed by some.

Eric Clapton.

Honestly, he changed rock forever and set the prototype sound that still defines rock.
The "Beano" album, what can I say, if you've never listened to it, do yourself a favour and check it out.
Trivia ... without looking it up ... why is it called the Beano album.

While I'm at it (pissin' everyone off), the greatest bands ...
1) Beatles
2) Eagles
3) Everyone else

The man that stands on the top of the mountain.
Hank Williams.

OK, rant over (lol). These are just my opinions. Not totally ignorant, founded in some knowledge.
Like I say ... "I Know A Little".

I'm just passionate about guitar and the pioneers.
Don't want them to be lost to history and their contributions overlooked.

Ha! I love your passion for music but how can you say Clapton and Knofler are "underrated" and/or "under appreciated"?

Those dudes are quite literally musical institutions with thousands of articles about them, have millions of dudes who worship them, and built their own mini-empire of signature musical instruments with their names stamped on 'em.

Back