S2 McCarty 594 Thinline

ProgRocker

Any Thinline owners ? Or maybe you gave one a test drive ? I love everything about the layout. It's my old SG done right. If you've played/own one let me know what your opinion is. I don't have many guitar shops here, and the one I do doesn't carry this model.

Dig 'em! If I ever convince myself to part with my SG it'll be because I pulled the trigger on a thinline.

I do not have one, but I have played one in a store. I was impressed. I liked it better than the S2 594. Mostly the feel, but I think it had a little different tone as well. Hard to explain and it was over a year ago.

Yea, definitely lusting over that vintage cherry model. Not familiar with the 58/15 “S” pickups, my '93 has HFS/Vintage, what do the 58/15 “S” pickups sound like ?

Yea, definitely lusting over that vintage cherry model. Not familiar with the 58/15 “S” pickups, my '93 has HFS/Vintage, what do the 58/15 “S” pickups sound like ?

On the bridge pickup it sounds like a good SG.
On the neck pickup it sounds fatter than an SG
because the neck pickup is located differently.
The middle position sounds thick but articulated.
The coil tapped sounds are meh, but that's ok.
I didn't buy it for the coil taps.
It's a good guitar.

I'm very happy with my Thinline. Lighter weight, and slightly thinner neck than the regular 594's. It's the same pickups that are in all the SE/S2 McCarty 594's - singlecut, double cut, and hollowbody. They sound slightly different in the Thinline, owing to it being just mahogany (no maple cap), and obviously thinner/less mass. But to my ears, it's not radically different sounding. I'm a big fan of the 58/15S's, have them in several guitars. I'd definitely recommend it

Itll compliment nicely as they are very differnet pickups from one another. Think PAFish. I personally think they sound best in the thinline, but that's obviously a personal preference. The thinline is also my favorite 594.

I’ve played a few thinlines, as well as owning core and S2 versions of the “regular” 594 - I thought the thinline looked absolutely righteous when they came out, but to be honest, after playing a few, they didn’t do a whole lot for me. I find the maple topped S2 594 to actually hit me like an SG when compared to the core version being more like an LP. The S2 594’s seem to consistently be lighter, probably due to the thinner maple cap and perhaps they use less dense mahogany than the core, too. Tonal balance is a little less low mid punch than the core. The thinline just seemed to lack the top end liveliness for me. Now, I’m not saying they’re bad, by any means, still light years ahead of many other guitars in the price range.

I think the S2 594 range now has the LT version of the 58/15? Haven’t tried them, but I’d like to. I think I would prefer them over the non-LT version.

Did a pickup swap on my thinline today. It had the same pickups as my singlecut 594 (BKP Peacemakers). They sound absolutely filthy in the single cut. Clarity but they don’t hesitate to get down and dirty with ease. The same pickups did not sound so great in the thinline. Way too much bump in the mids that decreased note clarity. I’m of the mindset that all hogs need lower wind pickups to give you that clarity. So I installed some dimarzio 36th anniversary I had leftover from a previous guitar. Perfection! A nice cheaper (for pickups pricing) upgrade for the thinline. No mud; not too bright, takes gain great. I pulled the 36th anny from a previous maple cap guitar because the treble was shrilly to me. None of that here at all. They are perfect for your SG/thinline 594!

You know what I think would be sick? A thinline that included a semihollow and satin finish with the open pores on the back and neck. Say in a shaded burst like acoustics are made. It probably would need to be a limited run to keep the s2 594 class small. And while they are at it: it could have USA electronics, MoP inlays, and core pickups.

One could hope. Maybe for the big 40th anniversary!

Absolutely love mine, had it over two years now. The original pots went bad, had the PTC replace them with the Core-spec'd pots & electronics, so all GTG now. It really is an SG done right (Paul's way) and would be perfect if the electronics were upgraded across the board like what PRS did with the 10th Anniversary ones.

Back