your current project !?

Wow! That's a very steep fine. But then, my state (Arizona) has 11,600 people infected per 100,000, whereas Quebec only has 3,600. One would argue, your state has a more effective plan in place.

We've just been super careful. My wife and I already play in the band together and live together. Our drummer is a single guy whose kids are grown, he's not particularly wild or anything. We took 6 or 7 months off and then decided that we were going to jam again.

I think being a single guy myself, our state has had to pay attention to what age groups need care the most...elderly are the most important because they were most susceptible to the virus...

As time past, separate phases of immunization occurred...next, age groups 65 to 75, we're now in the group 45 to 65 receiving their 1st shots, by April 1st or first week thereof, ages 25 to 45 can receive their first shots...

Connecticut hopes to have all eligible age groups receive their 2nd shots by end of June or July. We're hoping the virus variants will be kept in check with the original vaccinations, though we're wondering if Covid vaccinations for variants may become an annual occurrence like flu vaccines...

My current project is:

I am in the middle of buying a Winnebago and 2 houses
in North Carolina and selling my house of 42 years in NYC.
It's very complicated, stressful and emotionally draining.

Did I mention packing 42 years of "stuff"?

:eek:

Do I win?

:p
I do not envy you that project. We’ve been in the same house for almost 30 years and I can’t imagine even having to look at all the stuff squirrelled away in every corner.

Do you need two North Carolina houses to hold everything from NY?

I think being a single guy myself, our state has had to pay attention to what age groups need care the most...elderly are the most important because they were most susceptible to the virus...

As time past, separate phases of immunization occurred...next, age groups 65 to 75, we're now in the group 45 to 65 receiving their 1st shots, by April 1st or first week thereof, ages 25 to 45 can receive their first shots...

Connecticut hopes to have all eligible age groups receive their 2nd shots by end of June or July. We're hoping the virus variants will be kept in check with the original vaccinations, though we're wondering if Covid vaccinations for variants may become an annual occurrence like flu vaccines...
the virus has hit our seniors hard, they are also the priority, Canada follows much the same pattern as in your state, but vaccines took longer to be available and administered, restrictive measures are tough on morale here, life calmly resumes its normal course ... to be continued ...

the virus has hit our seniors hard, they are also the priority, Canada follows much the same pattern as in your state, but vaccines took longer to be available and administered, restrictive measures are tough on morale here, life calmly resumes its normal course ... to be continued ...

Maxime,

According to our federal officials, the United States is on course for immunizing Americans with what vaccines that were available to the US first, and then the US will help other countries with their vaccine supply chain. Although I am unsure of the officials' reasoning, it may be so we can regain our economy's footing first, then offer our help to the global community.

Although there may be some who are still nagging the officials about personal freedoms because of pandemic fatigue, | personally still agree with fed and state officials about mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, and the like...

IMHO, it's not so much about my health, but the next guy's. If I didn't give a hoot about my health, I'd certainly not care about yours. That's not how I think or act. It's up to each of us to care about the next person, no matter who they are, or how they think or act. Just my 2¢.

When I asked a local nurse how much the vaccine might run my insurance, she said, "As little as possible." Thank you for that priceless advice.

Am sure many will feel the same way if they are anything like the folks on this forum...

I do not envy you that project. We’ve been in the same house for almost 30 years and I can’t imagine even having to look at all the stuff squirrelled away in every corner.

Do you need two North Carolina houses to hold everything from NY?

Yes, there is a lot of "stuff".

Actually, the 2 NC houses are both bigger than my NYC house
and each is on slightly over half an acre.
One of them is for my Daughter and her family, the other for Mrs. M. and myself.
The Winnebago is for my son. He plans to travel.
The sale of the NYC home will pay for everything free and clear.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a lot of "stuff".

Actually, the 2 NC houses are both bigger than my NYC house
and each is on slightly over half an acre.
One of them is for my Daughter and her family, the other for Mrs. M. and myself.
The Winnebago is for my son. He plans to travel.
The sale of the NYC home will pay for everything free and clear.
That sounds like a great trade. Not unlike when my brother moved from NY to Tennessee a few years ago.

A few weekends ago we replaced my wife's Ikea computer desk with a rather nice sit-stand desk to improve her work-from-home quality of life. I looked around, measured some stuff, and figured that if I put her old desk in my spot in the downstairs office, then I could take my old desk and use it to add to my music room desk space! :D Now that I've done that the rest of the room is all tore up, I don't know where I want to put stuff, and I'm trying to decide whether to re-rack a bunch of my gear and plunge into synthesizers... That's going to be a many-month process though.

But a serendipitous bonus came to light today: Just for kicks I put my PA speakers behind my chair, and my FRFR guitar monitors to either side of me. Looking at the mixer this afternoon, I spied the "send group 1-2 to main" button, and punched it on impulse. Et voila! I was greeted with stereo surround sound, and nothing blew up! Just for pushing a button. I think this is going to do wonders for my coding.

...But a serendipitous bonus came to light today: Just for kicks I put my PA speakers behind my chair, and my FRFR guitar monitors to either side of me. Looking at the mixer this afternoon, I spied the "send group 1-2 to main" button, and punched it on impulse. Et voila! I was greeted with stereo surround sound, and nothing blew up! Just for pushing a button. I think this is going to do wonders for my coding.

Congrats on assembling your wife's desk!

Just a heads-up regards the FRFRs being used as supplementary mix monitors...unless you've got a really clean signal from square one, you'll note a healthy amount of scratchy buzz coming from the FRFRs when they're turned up.

I tried to accomplish the same thing and the buzz from the FRFRs was a bit off-putting. If there isn't any buzz in the FRFRs, plz share what you're using for gear so we can keep up with the joneses.

Which word?
I would be happy to offer a reasonable explanation
for my use of each and every one of them.

:)

Oh, I was just trying to be a smartass about having to go through all that change and the concept of "winning." I don't envy what you're having to do, but hopefully it's worth it in the end!

I tried to accomplish the same thing and the buzz from the FRFRs was a bit off-putting. If there isn't any buzz in the FRFRs, plz share what you're using for gear so we can keep up with the joneses.

Hmm, no buzz here. In play are: Axe-FX III, Yamaha MG-series mixer, a pair of Friedman ASM-12s, a pair of QSC HPR 1222is, and a few Apple devices. Think those are the important bits. The Friedmans hiss a tiny bit, as they're known to do. The sound sources are on purge protectors (and UPS for the computers) but the speakers are not. The mixer may be plugged straight into the wall.

Hmm, no buzz here. In play are: Axe-FX III, Yamaha MG-series mixer, a pair of Friedman ASM-12s, a pair of QSC HPR 1222is, and a few Apple devices. Think those are the important bits. The Friedmans hiss a tiny bit, as they're known to do. The sound sources are on purge protectors (and UPS for the computers) but the speakers are not. The mixer may be plugged straight into the wall.

May I ask what you're using for TRS cables between mixer and FRFRs?

I think that may be my solution. Currently am using braided thin TRS cables from Gigboard to FRFRs, and can't swap them for XLRs unless they were routed through a dual I/O DI box...which still may be possible if the correct DI box can be located...

The other option is for me to invest in better-shielded TRS cables, which might prove more cost-effective than trying the DI / XLR route.

Last edited:
May I ask what you're using for TRS cables between mixer and FRFRs?

I think that may be my solution. Currently am using braided thin TRS cables from Gigboard to FRFRs, and can't swap them for XLRs unless they were routed through a dual I/O DI box...which still may be possible if the correct DI box can be located...

The other option is for me to invest in better-shielded TRS cables, which might prove more cost-effective than trying the DI / XLR route.

I'm using XLRs, ProCo I believe. A couple of things I'd suggest is to make sure everything's plugged into the same electrical circuit, and check to see that those TRS cables are balanced and that both jacks you're plugging them into support balanced I/O. Barring those two solutions, you may have a ground loop problem and that's about as far as my "expertise" goes on this topic.

I'm using XLRs, ProCo I believe. A couple of things I'd suggest is to make sure everything's plugged into the same electrical circuit, and check to see that those TRS cables are balanced and that both jacks you're plugging them into support balanced I/O. Barring those two solutions, you may have a ground loop problem and that's about as far as my "expertise" goes on this topic.

Your response was appreciated, thanks. IIRC, my computer is plugged into a separate UPS for surge protection and brief electrical service interruptions. My existing ¼" TRS cables are inexpensive ones that do well for my Gigboard and FRFRs alone. the Gigboard outputs only ¼" jacks, not XLRs, so unless I were to introduce a more expensive DI box into the circuit, that may not prove cost-effective.

If my computer music library were routed through my Focusrite Clarett, I'd need to use the headphones out jacks for both FRFRs (the reverse side of the Clarett has only one pair of ¼" TRS outputs).

My concern is that the FRFRs operate on a separate surge protector than my computer, and there is no getting around that. The wall circuit is the same; it's just two separate surge protectors for the computer and FRFRs.

My guess is, with a measure of calculation, the new TRS cables will provide a modest improvement over the cheaper generic ones. One of the issues with the cheaper cables was the ability to reach the left FRFR and still connect to the Gigboard. The new cables will be slightly longer and will be better suited for the job.

If a ground loop does exist, my Radial DI box has a lift switch I can put one TRS cable through and that might be an easy way to solve the problem.

And to be honest, there's times when you don't feel like overthinking this. In recent travels, sometimes I've found that it makes more sense to go with your gut instead of your heart.

Thanks for your response in advance, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been going back thru video taken of our first/last outdoor gig back in June. Freestyle song construction has a way of giving you a fresh perspective and maybe in a good way. When we get back together...hopefully soon since I’m vax’ed up and the others will be soon...the focus will be on a studio project. Getting maximum energy out of these songs is the goal and what I thought was too much tempo increase may be just a twist of the mojo knob.

Just finished a phone call with my Sweetwater rep. Turns out that it won't be possible for me to use my FRFRs with my Clarett headphones out, simply because headphones out is L/R stereo, not line out balanced. The FRFRs are monaural, and accept TRS balanced, but the speakers themselves individually are not stereo, which the headphones out jacks provide.

If I were to use both headphones out jacks of my Clarett, there would be an introduction of various phase issues between my computer monitors (which work from the reverse side of the Clarett) and my stereo receiver bookshelf speakers (which also work from the reverse side of the Clarett), and the FRFRs.

My Sweetwater rep suggested if you wish for a fuller sound, simply increase the volume on the computer monitors. Use the better quality TRS cables you've ordered for your Gigboard and FRFRs, and keep the cheap TRS cables as backups, in case anything might happen to the new cables that might require replacement.

The background low-level buzz in the FRFRs may improve with the new cables, or not. This is where one needs faith in what your sales reps tell you, what you know, and the rest of folks one asks questions of, both here on this forum and locally.

It's likely that the issue is not a ground loop, but more likely just cheap TRS cables. My apologies for introducing this unnecessary discussion. My Sweetwater rep identified from early on what the issue was regards the headphones out and stereo vs TRS. TRS balanced ¼" line outs are not the same as headphones stereo.

Last edited:
Back