Who Else Plays Another Instrument?

Depends on how you define 'play'.

My first instrument on which I was formally trained and played from second grade through college was trumpet. I stopped after groups like Chicago faded away, and trumpet was once again relegated as uncool ... not that it ever helped attract the ladies even when it was marginally accepted though. :confused: Then again, there was that one time after a gig ... :p

Alas, I still have one and can play it well enough to convince most that I still gotz the skillz, but that welcome would be worn thin after about ten minutes when I would not only run through my entire repertoire, but quickly tire.

My original stint in bands was drums. Did that for a while but always had a penchant for guitar as well.
Former violinist.
Haven’t touched one in a loooong time, though.
Oh, and emergency bassist. You’d have to be pretty desperate.
Yeah bass playing...
Me too, and especially if you want me to sing.
Can't do it.
I suck! :)

Depends on how you define 'play'.

My first instrument on which I was formally trained and played from second grade through college was trumpet. I stopped after groups like Chicago faded away, and trumpet was once again relegated as uncool ... not that it ever helped attract the ladies even when it was marginally accepted though. :confused: Then again, there was that one time after a gig ... :p

Alas, I still have one and can play it well enough to convince most that I still gotz the skillz, but that welcome would be worn thin after about ten minutes when I would not only run through my entire repertoire, but quickly tire.

Same here, trumpet player.

Never did Joey “the lips” Fagan any harm.

I was a trumpet player in HS. Still gave it but never play it.

I was a drummer before guitar. I have a 5 string bass and an older Kerzwiel PC88.

I have a cheap banjo (junk) and a harpsichord.

I also have a really old magnatone lap steel in what I'd call crushed green finish with matching tube amp.

I like to "play" whatever is put in my hands, or at my feat, etc. I can't really play anything all that well, but I can make music with most equipment (including self) ;~)) A friend of mine told me many years ago, that all musicians are drummers at heart and I believe that to be so true. Without the beat, it ain't gonna work!!! I started playing clarinet and recorder at age 6. From 6-9 years old, my music teacher gave me private lessons 3 days a week after school and taught me to play piano, harp, xylophone, autoharp and likely several other instruments that I don't recall. It was an awesome experience that I thank her for in my mind often. I kept playing clarinet till I was 13, then dropped that. These days I play guitar, keyboards, bass, vocals, percussion on my music. I usually use drum samples but like to play them myself on the keyboard rather than using the pre-arranged loops. Any horns or string work will be samples as well at this point, but I will play those parts on the keyboard. I love to play with instruments, even if I am not a "player" of said instrument! "Let's make a musical noise!" ;~))

I wouldn't quite call it playing, but every once in a while I attempt the sax. I have my grandfather's sax and that experience alone is worth it to me. I keep thinking one day I'll give it a serious go.

I used to dabble on the piano when I was younger and would like to get back into that again as well.

Who Else Plays Another Instrument Other Than Guitar And What Do You Play?
You would not believe it but I can TEAR IT UP on the AUTOHARP!

I use what's call diatonic tuning on my harps which mean each one only plays in one or two keys.

This allow me to double up strings that would normally be muted and makes the harp sound like a 12 string guitar.

My harps sound glorious!

Started playing in high school and now own a collection of vintage autoharps going back to the 1800's.

I also play a little dulcimer, some piano and just bought a bass.

This what a Diatonic Autoharp sounds like. Bryan Bowers is the man!

Last edited:
I used to play clarinet, and violin. The guitar and bass have always been my favorites. This vibrating strings thing has always fascinated me. As my hand strength is diminishing, I’m going to do one last musical playing both instruments. After this run, it’s just the guitar. The mandolin is still on the shelf……

I'm a gigging drummer for the past 35ish years(I'm 52 for reference). I learned open chords on the guitar like 30 years ago. Got decent at simple songs for a few years then got busy with kids, work and gigging so guitar was shelved. I picked it back up around 2019 and started leaning the caged system. And then Covid lockdown happened and I was able spend a LOT of time practicing and learning. I've kept that going since. I only play drums at rehearsal and gigs. I practice nothing but guitar.

I used to think lead guitarists were mythical creatures. I couldn't understand how they knew where to fret all over the board. I'm blown away with how simple it really is. And as simple as it is I still learn something new daily. I love drumming, but wish I got more into guitar when I was younger. I'm tired of lugging a kit around lol.

Back