Who Else Plays Another Instrument?

I started on clarinet, as the first elementary school I attended loaned me one. I picked up sax in junior high so I could be in the jazz band, eventually became a music major on sax and clarinet. Picked up flute and some oboe along the way. Playing oboe makes for light-headedness, by the way. I also play a bit of piano.

I started playing guitar after getting laid off from a large accounting firm after 9/11. Woke up with nothing to do, missed playing, and decided it was time to learn guitar.

I'm with the Moondog approach .. I'll eagerly try almost anything just to have the experience and expand my knowledge. I'm satisfied at being delightfully medicore at most of them. Once you grasp basic melodic structure and rythym there are SO many wonderful ways to express it .
Listening to a lot of World music for the past few years , and there are some wild things out there ... all just conduits for the soul

As is tradition, I eventually give a serious answer, after the clowning around stage, so here goes.

I played piano as a child, but haven't played in decades. While I've never owned a bass, I do play one several times a year, whenever the need arises. I don't consider myself a bass player, but I can play it.

I was primarily a bass player until about 5-6 years ago, and still play it regularly...although more and more I find that this is a useless distinction. The less I separate the two mentally, the better player I am at both. Don't play a bass part or a guitar part...play a complimentary part in the range that's available from the instrument in your hands. Note: this is true for bass guitar only, the Doghouse is its own reality and I wish I hadn't sold mine.

I also spent a good chunk of the '90s as a mandolin player sitting in with rock bands. I'm completely useless as a bluegrass player, but I could fake it along with your rock tunes All Night Long. I almost never pick the damn thing up now, although I frequently *think* about parts I would play on mandolin in my own tunes, were I ever to get around to really recording them in earnest.

Still have some good harmonica chops, but never could master the whole "play harp with your mouth, guitar with your hands" thing. It's like walking, chewing gum and carrying 8 spinning plates on a rod balanced on your chin while going the wrong way on a moving sidewalk.

The first instrument I learned formally was saxophone back in the early 80s, and someday I'd like to get back into that as well.

I played Mandolin but haven't picked it up for quite a while. I still have it but haven't been in a playing situation where I needed to use it. If I had the need for that instrument in something, I would pick it back up and touch up my skills on it. I have also played bass. I only have one these days but it is a very nice one. I have actually thought about learning a bunch of the songs the bands in my area play and doing fill in gigs on it. Seems to always be a shortage of bass players around here.

I played Mandolin but haven't picked it up for quite a while. I still have it but haven't been in a playing situation where I needed to use it. If I had the need for that instrument in something, I would pick it back up and touch up my skills on it. I have also played bass. I only have one these days but it is a very nice one. I have actually thought about learning a bunch of the songs the bands in my area play and doing fill in gigs on it. Seems to always be a shortage of bass players around here.
Not A Bad Idea! I Always Wanted To Play Mandolin But Never Really Put Time Into It. The Same With Pedal Steel.

Not A Bad Idea! I Always Wanted To Play Mandolin But Never Really Put Time Into It. The Same With Pedal Steel.
Pedal steel is a challenging instrument. I have been in a few bands with guys that play them. I thought about getting a basic model a few times. They don't have multiple necks and knee levers. It is a good place to start before adding in the more complicated features. One of the guys I was in a band with had a double neck with 4 knee levers on it. I bet that was crazy hard to learn.

Pedal steel is a challenging instrument. I have been in a few bands with guys that play them. I thought about getting a basic model a few times. They don't have multiple necks and knee levers. It is a good place to start before adding in the more complicated features. One of the guys I was in a band with had a double neck with 4 knee levers on it. I bet that was crazy hard to learn.
I Played Around On Them And Enjoy Doing So Even Though I Am Terrible At It. It Is A Blast To Mess With (At Least It Is To Me). If I Jump On A Rig I Am Going All In...Multi Neck, Levers And All. At That Point The Only Wa Is UP! :)

Back