What is your deal breaker?

+1 for Tramp Stamps. How attractive will it be when the sagging begins?

Then again, how attractive will it be when the sagging begins, even without the tats?

When you get to be a certain age -- like me, I'm that certain age -- the only ones that like you are the "flowers" that are wilting. ;)

Wow i see all the people that don't like Floyd Rose! I had stayed away from floyd for15 of the 20 years of my guitar life due to listening to all the complaints. One day i saw that they can do things you can't do with other bridges. I had learned alot about setting up guitars so i figured, What the heck i bought me a cheap Jackson and learned to play and set it up. In short it sucked..lol..it was a licensed Floyd and a cheap guitar...I gave the guitar away after a while. I bought a Japanese Jackson, and wow it held tune amazingly and was easier to maintain, my skills with the floyd improved however now i was collecting every guitar under the sun. I decided i wanted a PRS, with all my guitars with fixed bridges i got a floyd. WOW...Love it! I am mechanically inclined therfore the floyd rose became just as easy as any trem to work with. However i can see this may not be the case for everyone. I regret that i didn't get one sooner since there were lots of things i could have added to my song writing in the past with them.

As far as the thread goes...a guitar that has the volume knob right next to the bridge where i can't play, or poor build quality.

Last edited:
Deal breaker, huh? Well, I could start with never bonding with the looks of Fenders, I.e. the headstock that was a poor imitation of a fiddle head, the plastic pick guard that reminded me of a bubblegum machine prize. For the longest time I was an acoustic guitar snob. Electric guitars? Bah, a passing kid's fancy, not a real music instrument. Now Gibson's were a little better with the 335, cause it looked more like a real guitar. And it was not a solid body. Then, while in the Navy, got me an SG that was a real cheap Philipine imitation, it stunk. But it had the look. Got rid of it quick, back to my acoustic safe haven.

Well, everybody grows up ... some. Now I still can't see me with the Fender, for much the same reasons. And Gibson's have that fragile headstock stigma, plus they're too expensive when I can get my PRSi quality-wise a superior instrument, and they fill the void like no other. So now I'm a different kind of gear snob, or slut, if you will. And, oh lord, now I have a guitar with a plastic pick guard. What is to become of me, oh woe is me!

But I will side with the anti-Floyd sentiment and the anti-Bigsby crowd. IMO, that's just too much unnecessary hardware. Maybe it could help with a neck-diver, I don't know.

:-(

Last edited:
I'm not a large guy. If the guitar is too heavy for me to play a 3-hour gig comfortably without straining my shoulder and back, I'm out. This is usually at 7 lbs. or over.

I'm not anti-Floyd. But I had one around 1990, and thought it was a pain in the rear, since I don't play dive bomb or heavy whammy bar stuff, and the Floyd has the tradeoff of extra hardware that for me, got in the way. The idea of having to loosen bolts at the nut, and that metal hunk there, simply weren't for me. I did like the micro tuners at the bridge for some reason, however.

I'm not a large guy. If the guitar is too heavy for me to play a 3-hour gig comfortably without straining my shoulder and back, I'm out. This is usually at 7 lbs. or over.

After some major surgery, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Still, my main axe is a McCarty Singlecut that is pretty heavy. During a session, however, I have to sit down to play it now. I can only stand with it for a few minutes.

Being an old #$^ really sucks!

Last edited:
Are you mostly a hollowbody player? Must be tough to find many solid body in that range. PRS has been putting out some lighter guitars in that 7.5# range lately. Seems like there are more available now than say 15-20 years ago.

Correct. I have two electrics: the HBI in my avatar, and a Strat. Been playing for 25 years.

I have more than 2 electrics but I must say my tonal favorites are my PRS HB II and a (dare I say it) a Strat (a fairly lightweight one). I am a small (old) guy as well and I now play sitting down (even when playing with a band).

Nothing wrong with light weight guitars. I am concerned that at some point, I may have to switch to lighter gauge strings as well.

I've got a McCarty standard that's super light. Gotta be in that 7# range. Lightest solid body PRS I've ever held. The thing is a rocket though...sustain and tone for days.

My HB Spruce weighs maybe 5# and my SE EG just a bit more, but less than 6#. Nothing but back friendly guits for this old guy!!

Jim

Deal breaker, huh? Well, I could start with never bonding with the looks of Fenders, I.e. the headstock that was a poor imitation of a fiddle head, the plastic pick guard that reminded me of a bubblegum machine prize. For the longest time I was an acoustic guitar snob. Electric guitars? Bah, a passing kid's fancy, not a real music instrument. Now Gibson's were a little better with the 335, cause it looked more like a real guitar. And it was not a solid body. Then, while in the Navy, got me an SG that was a real cheap Philipine imitation, it stunk. But it had the look. Got rid of it quick, back to my acoustic safe haven.

Well, everybody grows up ... some. Now I still can't see me with the Fender, for much the same reasons. And Gibson's have that fragile headstock stigma, plus they're too expensive when I can get my PRSi quality-wise a superior instrument, and they fill the void like no other. So now I'm a different kind of gear snob, or slut, if you will. And, oh lord, now I have a guitar with a plastic pick guard. What is to become of me, oh woe is me!

But I will side with the anti-Floyd sentiment and the anti-Bigsby crowd. IMO, that's just too much unnecessary hardware. Maybe it could help with a neck-diver, I don't know.

:-(

Bigsby's are horrible.

Back