What is your deal breaker?

theres something about bending the strings with a trem. that slight give has a different feel and character in a good way

David Grissom says a trem gives a natural reverb, too. I don't often hear that, but when I do - sweet!

theres something about bending the strings with a trem. that slight give has a different feel and character in a good way

David Grissom says a trem gives a natural reverb, too. I don't often hear that, but when I do - sweet!

I agree. I rarely use the trem on guitars that have them, but I like the feel and the tone.

Then, too, I have stop tails that I like. So there's that.

Interesting, I'm guessing what you're used to may be a factor there. Back in my Floyd Rose days I was so used to that "give" that comes with trem models that when I moved to stoptails I had to get used to it. Now I block off my trem guitars to have a more solid feel like my stoptails.

Interesting, I'm guessing what you're used to may be a factor there. Back in my Floyd Rose days I was so used to that "give" that comes with trem models that when I moved to stoptails I had to get used to it. Now I block off my trem guitars to have a more solid feel like my stoptails.

I have guitars with both and I frequently switch between them. I enjoy both for different reasons, but there definitely is an adjustment period to each if I've been favoring one or the other.

I have too many guitars so if I am ever going to buy another one, there had better not be so much as one single thing about that new guitar that I don't like. Everything from the right neck carve to the right color. Everything would have to be perfect or whichever "one little thing" that isn't to my preference.... THAT would become the "deal breaker" for me.

Interesting that so many of us dislike the same things

+1 for asymmetrical Body Shapes (SG)
+1 for pointy shapes and long horns
+1 for solid colours (except Black)
but -1 for tattooed ladies (whats not to like?)

Where do I sign up for tattooed ladies?? :wink:

My deal breakers would be big, pointy or unwieldy shaped guitars.
Also, I pretty much always avoid floyds. I actually really like to play with them and when set up well, they're incredibly stable. But that's just the problem. I'm terrible at setting them up and can't be bothered to take that much time to get it perfect. If I could afford to pay someone to change my strings every time, I might consider it.

Scale length. I really, really prefer ~23" scale length. Along with that, neck width/shape. I like narrow, thin neck.

I have small hands and like to use my thumb for "Hendrix" style chords. It probably isn't best approach given my hand size, but oh well.

I'm almost come to a point that one of my deal breakers would be a guitar that isn't a PRS... (I'm not saying that because we're on a PRS forum, it's just that I've never ever been disappointed by any PRS guitars, regardless if it was a SE, a US Core or a PS... even if it was just a quick test in a store or so... when in the mean time I had some experiences with other brands and several times already I've been really disappointed).

To me now, PRS is a "safe" bet... knowing I will always get more than I expect and I will get something worth my money.
That's why any guitar that isn't a PRS could be seen almost a "deal breaker" now.

I'm almost come to a point that one of my deal breakers would be a guitar that isn't a PRS... (I'm not saying that because we're on a PRS forum, it's just that I've never ever been disappointed by any PRS guitars, regardless if it was a SE, a US Core or a PS... even if it was just a quick test in a store or so... when in the mean time I had some experiences with other brands and several times already I've been really disappointed).

To me now, PRS is a "safe" bet... knowing I will always get more than I expect and I will get something worth my money.
That's why any guitar that isn't a PRS could be seen almost a "deal breaker" now.

Good answer. ;) Here's your check. hahaha

I can't stand guitars that don't balance well. I used to own a 60s Gibson Firebird loaded with 3 soap bars. Looked great and sounded awesome. But if I wasn't holding onto the neck with my fretting hand, the headstock would dive. Just couldn't deal with it.

I can't stand guitars that don't balance well. I used to own a 60s Gibson Firebird loaded with 3 soap bars. Looked great and sounded awesome. But if I wasn't holding onto the neck with my fretting hand, the headstock would dive. Just couldn't deal with it.

Stick on wheel weights in on the back of the cavity cover. Works for Firebirds/SG and anything else prone to neck dive.

For a guitar? Not limited to PRS specifically, but what feature on a guitar just makes you say... NOPE!

I've been trying to answer this question myself, but keep finding there will be one exception to the deal breaker rule. For example... I don't like trems. Don't own a trem equipped guitar. Yet I want one trem guitar. A swamp ash NF or NF3. Or single coils...yet I'd like a soapy of some sort. Even saying it HAS to be PRS(which I'm all in less my current acoustic) - and I could see owning a tele at some point.

I guess I'll go with neon color for now. If it's any shade of a highlighter marker - I'm out.

So what is it? A color, neck shape, pickup config, trem, stoptail?

Ugly color/shape, gold or chrome pickups.

I'll add a few to my list:

- A guitar that doesn't sound good unplugged.

- A guitar that doesn't sustain and/or has dead spots.

- A guitar whose pickups don't do it for me. I know, you can change the pickups. But why, when there are guitars I love right out of the box with great pickups?

No real deal breaker for me, if it plays well and sounds good, I want it! Not a single coil fan, but love me some P90s! I wasn't a PRS fan until I found my SE Custom 24....I've tried PRS guitars in the past and they never felt right.

A neck that's too thin front-to-back. They feel good and "fast" for about the first ten minutes, but then my left hands starts cramping up. Can't do it...
That's it for me, too. I certainly have preferences for color, design, etc., but a thin neck actually prevents me from playing/enjoying the guitar.

+1 for Tramp Stamps. How attractive will it be when the sagging begins?

Back