What is your deal breaker?

Any guitar I'd be embarrassed for my friends to know I played...

- Reverse headstocks
- Fake reliving
- Baseball bat necks
- Signature models not played by the signature

- Over 9.5 Lbs.
- 80's pointy headstocks/reverse headstocks
- Floyd
- Bigsby (mostly because they add to #1, and they don't stay in tune).
- crazy body shapes like the V and explorer. I know they are venerated just not by me.
- (fake) relics but I'd love a vintage that got all that wear honestly.

A floyd. I just can't stand them. Also I find myself conflicted currently because I want a 7-string, but I hate the fact that it has a blade and I can't stand the thing.

Same here with trems. I'm just not into them. I have thought about trying to get into one, but if I play one it just turns me off. But then I get kinda jealous when I see someone use it in a very tasteful way that I could never get out of my stoptails.

- Anything over 7 lbs
- Any kind of trem
- Anything less than 1-11/16 wide fat neck
- Blue or green (pink too)
- Uncovered pickups

Jim

-Gold hardware
-Floyd
-Non adjusting stoptail
Ahhh, gold hardware. That's mostly a deal breaker for me. I've bought one though. Second hand. Only because I lusted after the rest of the guitar for forever. I promptly swapped it all out for nickel. Didn't matter really. I wanted different pickups, an adjustable stoptail and locking Kluson's anyway. I had everything but the tuners already anyway so wasn't much $.

Floyd too, though about once every couple years I feel like it might be cool to have 1 guitar Floyded.

Floyd Rose trems. I have no use for the device, too intricate, too delicate. And Bigsbys, not all but the Bigsbys that incorporate the down tension bar. That little bar removes a vast percentage of the response that you are looking for in a bigsby. That and their clunky look, and manufacturers that mount the wrong Bigsby on the wrong guitar and think we don't notice. The B-5 or B-50 should never be on an archtop or any guitar that has a semi German Carve. The Bigsby is flat, the guitar top is not.....

I do like guitars with trems, Fenders being my favorite, but when you pick up something like a PRS with no trem, it forces you to bring all your technique and tricks to the fore cause you don't have that little sonic crutch.

Last edited:
My thing is black guitars. Or most dark colors. I just can't do them because the fingerprints and smudges drive me nuts. And it's not really a deal breaker per se, but I like big necks. I've never owned a guitar with a neck big enough to make me think 'this is perfect'.

Goldtop

If I can't play it easily, I won't buy it period, no matter how well constructed, how good it looks, or how good it sounds. AMEN

Pointy axes, Gerish colours, emgs and 24 frets. All feels and looks wrong to me. Old fashioned I guess

Dealbreakers for me are pointy guitars, Bigsbys and any trem I need an Allen wrench to change strings on. And things with LEDs on the fretboard.

Turn-offs are too-flat fretboard radii, too-narrow necks, and artificial relics. And I strongly dislike the switching ergonomics of singlecuts. And artists' signatures too prominently displayed on the headstock.

Damn I'm high maintenance.

I'm going to get crap for this one for sure but here goes. The single cut body just never really floated my boat until recently where I am warming up to the concept of trying one out.

Holy crap.... What a bunch of girls. If it sounds great, why would there ever be a "deal breaker"? I don't get it. Try not to be a guitar snob.

:p

Back