What is your deal breaker?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
For a guitar? Not limited to PRS specifically, but what feature on a guitar just makes you say... NOPE!

I've been trying to answer this question myself, but keep finding there will be one exception to the deal breaker rule. For example... I don't like trems. Don't own a trem equipped guitar. Yet I want one trem guitar. A swamp ash NF or NF3. Or single coils...yet I'd like a soapy of some sort. Even saying it HAS to be PRS(which I'm all in less my current acoustic) - and I could see owning a tele at some point.

I guess I'll go with neon color for now. If it's any shade of a highlighter marker - I'm out.

So what is it? A color, neck shape, pickup config, trem, stoptail?

I guess I'll go with neon color for now. If it's any shade of a highlighter marker - I'm out.

I am a little different......if PRS did a solid color in dayglo 80's hot neon pink I would fight somebody for it.........I was in my twenties in the 80's and have a huge soft spot for the colors of the day.

My deal breaker is if a guitar is too light. I hate it when I can hardly feel it on the strap, I like a little beef. Also not much of a Bigsby guy, but maybe on a cheaper second tier instrument I would try one out.

I think it might be a Floyd for me.
this and guitars with long sharp corners to the body. never felt comfy playing guitars that did not have nice contours to them. (rules out a lot of the classic metal style guitars for me).

Floyd, maple necks/boards (unless a Fender style), basswood bodies.

Oh, and anything pink, yellow, silver, or white.

Last edited:
A neck that's too thin front-to-back. They feel good and "fast" for about the first ten minutes, but then my left hands starts cramping up. Can't do it.

Not a big fan of Bigsbys, either. I'm OK with trems (I have a 513 and a couple of trem-equipped Thorns) but no Bigsbys, please.

I am a little different......if PRS did a solid color in dayglo 80's hot neon pink I would fight somebody for it.........I was in my twenties in the 80's and have a huge soft spot for the colors of the day.

My deal breaker is if a guitar is too light. I hate it when I can hardly feel it on the strap, I like a little beef. Also not much of a Bigsby guy, but maybe on a cheaper second tier instrument I would try one out.

I'm the opposite, my deal breaker is if a guitar is too heavy. I want mine between 6-9 lbs.

Non-locking trem. I've never owned a locking one yet, but have no use for a non locking one. I don't care how good they are they don't stay in tune (at least for me). I always block mine off.

Blue guitars. Not all, the ones that look like water and very 3-D-ish I love, just run of the mill blue is not for me.

I look for playability, then tone, then looks. I will play all the ugly things as long as they're comfortable to play and have great tone.

Floyds, SG or Santana body shapes, anything tortoise or brown, tobacco bursts, and any "BC Rich" type shapes

I've typed this 10 times and kept removing things... My final answer is... Anything made to "maximize profits" or fit into the "budget category"... Plastic sorts of fretboards... bodies made of 20 pieces of wood... cheap electronics... Oh and overbuilt guitars, especially acoustics... Bulletproof is tone proof....

I'm a slut. I'll play anything. If I like the way it plays, I might keep it.

AT 60 some minor things really suck. Like the stupid ridge that Paul puts on most of his guitars that cuts into your right forearm.

Can't believe he hasn't lost this absurdity.
But do I love the 2013 CU22..... Yes, I do.
I would pull it out of the case more but my two Tom Anderson's have better radius necks 12-14" (talk about play like butter). and no (cosmetic over function) ridge.

I need my own PRS signature model. Too bad I am a nobody. I have some specs that would delight.

My issue with Floyds isn't the trem itself; I've had a guitar with one, and I could live with the trem part. It's that metal clamp with the bolts over the nut. That really got in the way of my fretting hand for some reason, or maybe I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

I'd play a Bigsby or just about any other trem, but the PRS trem is just perfect for my needs.

Back