NGD: Tremonti Trem in Purple Iris

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
I mentioned a couple of times on other threads that I swapped out my Tremonti Stoptail for a Tremonti Trem. My NGD posting is overdue for the Trem one here.

The Stoptail was a fantastic guitar, it was very resonant and played and sounded great. But I was keen to compare it to a Trem version and see which won out as the keeper. The Trem version was comparable in tone, maybe a hair better. Both are equally lively in resonance - which was a surprise as usually Trems to me feel a little livelier, but the Stoptail had beastly sustain and resonance, so they were comparable in that regard.

As I mentioned, I am liking the Trems better these days, I am liking how close they are to the top of the guitar for the feeling of the right hand, and how it gives more freedom and not getting in the way of the bottom of your right hand below the pinky finger. And also of course the extra liveliness that generally comes with a Trem equipped PRS. I have 4 PRS guitars now, and 3 are Trems.

The top is great, and I absolutely love this Purple Iris color! It was discontinued around the end of the 2022 model year. I did a search here, and someone had posted that they had heard that PRS's supplier for the dye had discontinued the Dye(s) needed for this finish.

To me the finish is a nice mix of Modern and Vintage - Modern with the Purple tones (two different Purple Colors) but with a Natural Back, which I love.

A lot of the more modern finishes (like Purple Mist) have a Black Back and Neck, which I generally don't care for, I really like to see the grain on the Neck - and thus Natural and Cherry are my two favorite Back and Neck finish colors.

OgYS1aa.jpg

dZ7fqsK.jpg

eArnA9Y.jpg

hQmQU3t.jpg

zMC31iE.jpg

BXcqmQr.jpg

cnW2hWr.jpg

I like the Tremonti pickups for what they are, they are great for the heavier high gain stuff. But I want this guitar to be a little more versatile for me, like a 25" Singlecut Trem with more of a Classic Rock tone. So my plan is to put 5708's in this guitar (next week, I already have them in for the transplant). A little hotter than the 58/15 LT's, but still very much a PAF type of pickup. Stay tuned for a report on those in this guitar.

The guitar is fairly heavy at 9 pounds 3 ounces. It is a tad body heavy on your leg sitting down, but not too bad. The Stoptail was 9 pounds 2 ounces, about the same. I wouldn't play out with a guitar this heavy, that would bother my back for sure. Tremonti's are generally on the heavy side, usually over 9 pounds, or the high 8's. That's the way Mark likes them, as he has stated in interviews. But that's okay, I am not playing out these days, so I don't really mind the weight, especially if that is contributing to the awesome tone it has. If I were playing out these days, I would be grabbing the 25" McCarty for that duty, without question.

Strange fact - the 2022 Trem and the 2023 Stoptail were wired differently, the Volume for the Bridge pickups was in a different location, which was funny and troubling for the very short period of time I had both and was A/B'ing them. Not sure if a change was made for Model Year 2023, or if that was just a mistake.

So here is the current lineup:

FlbNS7U.jpg

YUHxsKP.jpg

Four very different PRS guitars, all equally great! This sort of approach of having very different models in the collection seems much more useful than back in the day when I had like 8+ Ted 245's or 8+ 594's. :)

A nice variety in colors as well.

Great guitar. I went the other way and traded my Tremonti Trem for Tremonti Stoptail, coincidentally one of which is purple iris. I agree with your assessment above, both are fantastic and the hand feel on the Trem is exceptional. I look forward to hearing an update when you replace the pick-ups. Congrats on a beautiful addition to the team!

Beautiful guitar! The PRS I first fell for was purple, but that is all I can remember about it. Maybe I'll pick up a purple people eater at some point in the near future. :cool:

Got the guitar back with the 5708 Pickups, AND the new SC 594 back with the strings I wanted on there and a setup, so I really got to A/B the two in addition to checking out the Tremonti with the 5708 pickups.

5zLYanL.jpg

5s11ZSX.jpg

939eDWn.jpg

Two awesome Purple PRS Singelcuts, LOL! (Of course I have been taking pictures of those two Purple guitars on my Purple shag area rug.)

The Tremonti is FANTASTIC with the 5708's in there. Everything I had hoped they would be. They are indeed a little hotter with more bite than the 5815 LT's in other guitars (and the 5815 LT+'s in the SC 594). They have the extra bite but are not TOO trebly or Ice-Picky. Awesome for Classic Rock into Heavy Rock. Probably good for Metal too. I have only tested through the SuperPlex so far, not the MT15.

The other thing is that the bridge pickup lets the tone of the guitar itself come through more than the Tremonti Bridge Pickup did. This guitar has killer tone!! It has awesome thump and power, but isn't too bassy, it has good balance across the spectrum. I am really impressed with how it turned out! It is truly now a 25" PRS Singlecut that is more versatile for my needs.

Interesting to compare the SC 594 - I don't know if it is the placebo affect / preconceptions, but it played out to my ears sort of like you think it would with the scale length difference. The SC 594 I would describe as "thicker" sounding, at a slight expense of clarity. The Tremonti sounds more similar to the SC 594 now with the 5708's in there, but with more clarity. Both are absolutely amazing, I am very lucky to have these two great Singlecuts, they complement each other well. If I could only have one, it would be the Tremonti. I am just really jiving with the feel and tones from the 25 inch scale guitars these days, I guess! ;) But also I am really glad to have a 594 guitar to go to mix it up and give me something slightly different.

The only slight bummer of the pickup transplant (which is not the end of the world) is that I wish the 5708's had been available with Brushed Nickel covers, and Gold/Brass Lug screws, that would have kept it looking more inline with the stock look of Hybrid Hardware with a 10-Top Core model...

Beautiful guitars. Love that Tremonti. 57/08s are my favorite pickups, I have them in my CU24 and SC245 private stock. But also love the Tremonti pickups on my Tremonti. I have a P24 with 85/15s and really don’t like the pickups at all. Maybe I should put 57/08s in it or the \M/ pickups I have lying around. Not sure how they would sound with piezo though.

Beautiful guitars. Love that Tremonti. 57/08s are my favorite pickups, I have them in my CU24 and SC245 private stock. But also love the Tremonti pickups on my Tremonti. I have a P24 with 85/15s and really don’t like the pickups at all. Maybe I should put 57/08s in it or the \M/ pickups I have lying around. Not sure how they would sound with piezo though.

Interesting report - thank you!

Funny - I just ordered 8515's yesterday for my Custom 24 Private Stock. I wasn't loving certain attributes about the 5815 LT's in that one, and thought I would try the pickups that are standard for that model.

I found a set that had the gold lug screws, which I thought would be a good match visually to the guitar with Hybrid Hardware.

What don't you like about them?

Got the guitar back with the 5708 Pickups, AND the new SC 594 back with the strings I wanted on there and a setup, so I really got to A/B the two in addition to checking out the Tremonti with the 5708 pickups.

5zLYanL.jpg

5s11ZSX.jpg

939eDWn.jpg

Two awesome Purple PRS Singelcuts, LOL! (Of course I have been taking pictures of those two Purple guitars on my Purple shag area rug.)

The Tremonti is FANTASTIC with the 5708's in there. Everything I had hoped they would be. They are indeed a little hotter with more bite than the 5815 LT's in other guitars (and the 5815 LT+'s in the SC 594). They have the extra bite but are not TOO trebly or Ice-Picky. Awesome for Classic Rock into Heavy Rock. Probably good for Metal too. I have only tested through the SuperPlex so far, not the MT15.

The other thing is that the bridge pickup lets the tone of the guitar itself come through more than the Tremonti Bridge Pickup did. This guitar has killer tone!! It has awesome thump and power, but isn't too bassy, it has good balance across the spectrum. I am really impressed with how it turned out! It is truly now a 25" PRS Singlecut that is more versatile for my needs.

Interesting to compare the SC 594 - I don't know if it is the placebo affect / preconceptions, but it played out to my ears sort of like you think it would with the scale length difference. The SC 594 I would describe as "thicker" sounding, at a slight expense of clarity. The Tremonti sounds more similar to the SC 594 now with the 5708's in there, but with more clarity. Both are absolutely amazing, I am very lucky to have these two great Singlecuts, they complement each other well. If I could only have one, it would be the Tremonti. I am just really jiving with the feel and tones from the 25 inch scale guitars these days, I guess! ;) But also I am really glad to have a 594 guitar to go to mix it up and give me something slightly different.

The only slight bummer of the pickup transplant (which is not the end of the world) is that I wish the 5708's had been available with Brushed Nickel covers, and Gold/Brass Lug screws, that would have kept it looking more inline with the stock look of Hybrid Hardware with a 10-Top Core model...
I would describe the changes in my CU22 and DC 594 along the same lines as you have when I changed them to have 57/08 pickups. I like them much better than what was in them stock. As a side note, it is pretty easy to make the covers on the pickups brushed and it is easy to change the screws to gold. John Mann sells the screws. It would have been much easier to brush the pickups before they were installed.

Back