Still thinking 408

Well, my dealer just gave me the bad news.
My guitar is sitting in the setup shop in Maryland still, so it has not shipped yet.
So it looks like I will not have it for a few more weeks.
Not sure what happened, as it was suppose to hip three days ago.

Shawn, can you snag a pic of it for us :D

Hey Corey -

Looking back through this thread, it looks like you finally settled on the color and everything around 25 January. I placed my order for an Artist 408 about two weeks after that, and I was told a week ago that mine was scheduled to be done 12 April. However, my dealer informed me today that they encountered a "delay" (I didn't get any more info than that), and it's now scheduled for completion on 5 May. Perhaps this "delay" affected yours as well?

- Jason

Thanks Jason.
If mine indeed is sitting in setup, I am not sure how long they sit there.
Like are they hanging from the ceiling like on an assembly line, then the next one in line gets taken down, adjusted, cleaned, then sent to shipping?

If I get some serious gas down the road for a Tremonti, I will look into the dealers that advertise here that have a large inventory on hand.
Then the wait is like a week or less to get it to me.
My dealer only stocks a few Maryland guitars, and probably less than five SEs at a time.
Hence why I had to order all of my others with the exception of my sons SE Semi-Hollow Custom which they had two in stock.

Thanks Jason.
Like are they hanging from the ceiling like on an assembly line, then the next one in line gets taken down, adjusted, cleaned, then sent to shipping?

If I get some serious gas down the road for a Tremonti, I will look into the dealers that advertise here that have a large inventory on hand.
My dealer only stocks a few Maryland guitars, and probably less than five SEs at a time.
Hence why I had to order all of my others with the exception of my sons SE Semi-Hollow Custom which they had two in stock.

Round trip Plane ticket to Maryland from Washington = $800?
Hotel for long weekend = $300?
Admission to 2013 PRS Experience, Touring the PRS factory, Having access to hundreds of Maryland made guitars, meeting a bunch of friendly fellow musicians, vendors, artists and PRS staff, getting the best deal possible on just about any PRS product available = PRICELESS

If you need a PRS fix before that I highly recommend Wild West Guitars in California, go to their website for a great selection of in stock models and call Doug Diamond at Wild West, he's taken great care of me on multiple occasions.

Shawn, can you snag a pic of it for us :D

Hey Corey, Im excited for your impending NGD, but I'm guessing Shawn has quite a bit on his plate and can't (read: really shouldnt be expected to) take pictures of forum members guitars. He doesn't do it for private stock let alone a regular production instrument where thousands come off the line each year.

Last edited:
Round trip Plane ticket to Maryland from Washington = $800?
Hotel for long weekend = $300?
Admission to 2013 PRS Experience, Touring the PRS factory, Having access to hundreds of Maryland made guitars, meeting a bunch of friendly fellow musicians, vendors, artists and PRS staff, getting the best deal possible on just about any PRS product available = PRICELESS

If you need a PRS fix before that I highly recommend Wild West Guitars in California, go to their website for a great selection of in stock models and call Doug Diamond at Wild West, he's taken great care of me on multiple occasions.
Very tempting.
Maybe not this year, but for 2014.
I have been to Wild Wests site before, will have to check them out again, thanks.
Hey Corey, Im excited for your impending NGD, but I'm guessing Shawn has quite a bit on his plate and can't (read: really shouldnt be expected to) take pictures of forum members guitars. He doesn't do it for private stock let alone a regular production instrument where thousands come off the line each year.
I was joking about Shawn taking a picture of my guitar there, as I know he is a busy guy.

Thanks Jason.

Have you received any updates since your last check-in? I try not to pest my dealer, but the anticipation is killing me.

Now that 20 years of wishing and dreaming is about to become a reality for me, I've found that I've got the bug so badly that I'm already sorting out my next PRS before I've even laid eyes or hands on my first! My band does mostly acoustic rock shows, and we like to push the limits a little by trying to arrange actual rock songs on an acoustic. But playing guitar solos from 80's and 90's rock songs can get downright awful on an acoustic. I modded a Schecter with the LR Baggs piezo bridge and preamp, but it's crapped out on me and has just never sounded that great. To that end, I've got my eyes on the HB II, hoping to snag one of those sooner rather than later, as it'll become my primary gigging guitar alongside my koa Takamine! :D

Last edited:
No updates, I do not expect any from my dealer, so I am not going to bug him.
He will call me the day it comes in.

I have tried in the past checking with PRS Customer Service, but they have zero access to shipping details so they tell me.

I know what you mean about thinking about the next one while still waiting on the current one.

Still have no word on the guitar.
Dealer has sent in emails/texts on Monday with no answer back yet.
It would sure be nice to know if it has shipped or still sitting in the factory.

Meanwhile, here sits a gorgeous one with a 10 top setup just like the one I ordered with a tremolo and pattern thin neck carve, just not the color I ordered.
http://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/408-7/

197494B-1000x695.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Corey,

Have your dealer call the factory. The outside sales rep the dealer is contacting doesn't work at the factory and has no idea when or what has shipped. Have your dealer call the factory and speak to his inside sales guy. The inside sale person can give your dealer an ETA over the phone.

Thanks Shawn.
I have asked my dealer to call his inside sales guy and not the rep, but for some reason he only tries to get a hold of the latter.
Not sure why he has not tried to get in touch with Rick.
Frustrating yes :D
I was hoping to have it by my birthday which is next Monday.

OK, so I sent off an email to my dealer earlier this morning to ask him to please call his sales guy, and not the rep.
I just spoke with my dealer, but he has not opened up my email yet, but I told him he needs to call the sales guy, and he will in the morning since it is past 3 PM in Maryland now.
His rep called him today and said a guy told him my guitar is fantastic looking, and it should ship next week, and that it is still in the setup department.
Well we were told this two weeks ago too, so my dealer really needs to talk with the sales guy and not his rep.

If it does ship next week, I will not see it until mid May or so.
Dealer asked the rep if he had a pic of it, but since the rep is not there, of course not.

Gotta call my dealer today and see if he got any info, did not hear from him yesterday.
Could mean his sales guy Rick is out for awhile, not sure.

Anyways...just found another 408 video that I had not seen before that was put up last month with Paul demoing it at Sweetwater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Corey -

Really hoping you get some good news today, man! Mine was scheduled for May 5th (according to my dealer); if I haven't heard anything from him by Wednesday, I'll be calling in. I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!

Back