Special 22 vs Swamp Ash Special

thewesdavis

...besides the obvious semi-hollow and 5-way blade, what are the biggest tonal differences between the core Swamp Ash Special and Special 22?
Mostly just curious as I am not currently in the market for another axe (and when I am, it will most likely be a CE24 or 408).

The Special Semi-Hollow? The Special 22 is a 2010ish solid-body. My Special 22 actually has Swamp Ash humbuckers.

The Special Semi-Hollow? The Special 22 is a 2010ish solid-body. My Special 22 actually has Swamp Ash humbuckers.
The Swamp Ash humbuckers are essentially McCartys, right?
But it has the narrowfield in the middle as opposed to the Seymour Duncan twin rails?

My 06 SAS had SAS humbuckers and a SD vintage rail in the middle stock. It currently has a set of 57/08 humbuckers and a Fralin blues special single coil in the middle. My SAS also has the 5 way blade. 06 was the first year for this switching option.

My 06 SAS had SAS humbuckers and a SD vintage rail in the middle stock. It currently has a set of 57/08 humbuckers and a Fralin blues special single coil in the middle. My SAS also has the 5 way blade. 06 was the first year for this switching option.
I picked up an Unbucker for the bridge position. I've heard several people on the forum have swapped in the Fralin Blues Special in the middle of their SAS. I really don't use the neck pickup enough to justify swapping it at this point...

I picked up an Unbucker for the bridge position. I've heard several people on the forum have swapped in the Fralin Blues Special in the middle of their SAS. I really don't use the neck pickup enough to justify swapping it at this point...
Funny you should say that. My first pickup swap in my SAS was to put a set of Unbuckers in it. I still have them. I had them slightly overwound. They really helped get better single coil tones when split. That was the whole reason I put them in it. Then I got my hands on a set of 57/08s back then and put them in it. I have honestly thought about putting the stock pickups back in the guitar. I had even thought I may consider selling it. Not sure if I could let it go or not.

Back