Wondering: Differences SE Swamp Ash and McCarty 594?

Outtonation

Hi, and yes... the question is that simple.

I have an SE Swamp Ash Special that I adore, and see McCarty's that look the same (mostly just grain, no reds, greens, blues, etc.).

The pickup switch on the McCarty is on the body near the front strap button, and it is about $300 more. Is it just an electronics upgrade on the middle pickup?

IOW, what would motivate me to pick this one up, too?

TIA!

SAS = Pattern Thin neck
594 = Pattern Vintage neck
I have Gibsons, as the SAS was my first non-Gibson, and WOW what a difference even the neck made! Forget the awesome satin-y finish on the neck, the weight being 2 lbs lighter is a nice touch. The PRS just feels better on my hands to play. My next guitar(s) will be PRS.

I'll try to find a comparison on the neck shapes! Thanks @dmatthews !

Geez, not much difference at all... Probably not enough to be able to notice...

necks-new.jpg

...and the McCarty has the same pickups as the SAS (85/15), but no single coil in the middle. Fewer/same pickups, dark fretboard... $100-$200 difference must lie elsewhere.

Geez, not much difference at all... Probably not enough to be able to notice...

necks-new.jpg

...and the McCarty has the same pickups as the SAS (85/15), but no single coil in the middle. Fewer/same pickups, dark fretboard... $100-$200 difference must lie elsewhere.
Not the same pickups 5815 vs 8515 and small differences in a neck feel very differnt in the hand.

Not the same pickups 5815 vs 8515 and small differences in a neck feel very differnt in the hand.
Agreed sinsir with a little more quantification.

58/15 LT S humbuckers on the SE 594, thicker neck, mahogany body, maple top, flame veneer, mahogany neck, rose wood fretboard.

85/15 humbuckers on the SE SAS, thinner neck, swamp ash body, maple neck and fretboard.

Very different feeling and sounding instruments (I have both). You will feel the difference and both are very nice.

Agreed sinsir with a little more quantification.

58/15 LT S humbuckers on the SE 594, thicker neck, mahogany body, maple top, flame veneer, mahogany neck, rose wood fretboard.

85/15 humbuckers on the SE SAS, thinner neck, swamp ash body, maple neck and fretboard.

Very different feeling and sounding instruments (I have both). You will feel the difference and both are very nice.
Totally the same ;)

I joke but OP, I get it, when you're new to guitars it's difficult to know all the differences. But, as you've already found out, PRS are addictive and you want moooooaaaaar! Soon you're feed will be filled with guitars, and you'll know these differences right away. Once you play more, it'll make even more sense.

Welcome to the PRS world, you're in a good spot. Wish I had discovered them sooner.

Last edited:
Back