Is a Swamp Ash body Rare

Attorneyriffic

I have a custom 22 I bought from a guy that is really light and resonant. I was curious why and I think it's because of the swamp ash body. I tried to look up information about my guitar but couldn't find much at all. All I found was pages about the swamp ash special. I don't think it is a special because I thought those all had hsh configuration.

It is a 2000 custom 22 10 top with a wide fat neck and two humbuckers with swamp ash body and maple top.

Edit: I had the wrong tag saved on my phone. Pulled the case from my closet and discovered it is not swamp ash... Can't figure out how to delete this embarrassing thread.

Last edited:
Pics?

There Are Heavier And Lighter Pieces Of Wood In All Wood Types. Sounds Like A Really Cool Guitar.

It sadly isn't used enough .It's relatively plentiful and tonally pleasing,but the same size billet of mahogany is less than half the price. Swamp ash typically has very wide grain markings while Mahogany is tight grained. It's Janka scale # around 1320 lb , whereas Mahogany is in the 8-900 range . This tends to make Swamp ash brighter in tone . Woods vary and swamp ash is known for wide sweeps in density per tree.

Last edited:
IIRC, the wood itself is getting rarer...you see it a lot less on the inexpensive Fenders. It does vary quite a bit in weight- as many Strats that are bricks as those that are nice & light.

Sorry. It was late when I posted and early this morning... I had the wrong tag saved on my phone. It is still a light guitar but yeah, not swamp ash.

I'm really embarrassed but I can't find how to delete this thread.. Sorry for wasting ya'll's time.
No Worries! If That Is The Worst Thing You Do In Life Feel Fortunate.

Sorry. It was late when I posted and early this morning... I had the wrong tag saved on my phone. It is still a light guitar but yeah, not swamp ash.

I'm really embarrassed but I can't find how to delete this thread.. Sorry for wasting ya'll's time.

With a top like that, there is no waste of time.

Oh the Shame!
The Shame!

As a penalty you forfeit the guitar
You must send it to me so I can dispose of it properly!

Back