Swamp Ash Special Middle Pickup Swap

jacobmatthew

Hey everyone, just got my SE Swamp Ash Special and it's a great guitar. I like the humbuckers but what hasn't quite got me is the middle single coil pickup, it sounds a little too twangy and thin for me. I tried looking up some single coils that could replace it but it's hard to pick not knowing what the specs of the current single coil are. I know it's a combo of alnico and steel but I'm not sure that gives me too much to go on in terms of tone and output. Anyone have any suggestions on some single coil pickups that could fit in well the with 85/15 S pickups? I'm looking for something that sounds a little thicker and fuller and I suppose a little more output as I have noticed there is a good volume drop when splitting and bringing in that middle pickup.

I put a Lindy Fralin Blues Special in the middle spot on my core SAS. It sounds good in my guitar. You can also contact Lindy and tell him what you are putting it in and what you don't like about the current pickup and he will wind it to accomplish what you want. He will also let you send it back for adjustment if it doesn't exactly hit the mark. All that will cost you is shipping to send it back. He is great to work with and knows his stuff. I have had him wind a couple of sets of pickups for me. After a short phone conversation, he knocked both sets out of the park.

I'd try adjusting your pickup height first. Honestly, I'd adjust all your pickups. Since the seSAS isn't wired for middle only the twangy is a combination of pickups and not just the middle.

If that doesn't help, do a google for what you are looking for out of a pickup more so than what's in there now. If you add swamp ash in there that may help, too. You'll find lots of options and opinions. Like personally if adjustment doesn't get you there, I'd be looking at a humbucker swap more than middle. The 5708 and swamp ash are a match in heaven.

Check out a freeway switch while at to get all the tones you could want.

I'd try adjusting your pickup height first. Honestly, I'd adjust all your pickups. Since the seSAS isn't wired for middle only the twangy is a combination of pickups and not just the middle.

If that doesn't help, do a google for what you are looking for out of a pickup more so than what's in there now. If you add swamp ash in there that may help, too. You'll find lots of options and opinions. Like personally if adjustment doesn't get you there, I'd be looking at a humbucker swap more than middle. The 5708 and swamp ash are a match in heaven.

Check out a freeway switch while at to get all the tones you could want.
How does the 5708 compare to the 85/15 S? I'd actually be a little hesitant about switching out the neck humbucker, I love it. It's got a nice punchy tone to it, almost like a Strat neck pickup on steroids. I'm not as attached to the bridge pickup though.

The freeway switch is definitely on my list of mods to make to this guitar.

How does the 5708 compare to the 85/15 S? I'd actually be a little hesitant about switching out the neck humbucker, I love it. It's got a nice punchy tone to it, almost like a Strat neck pickup on steroids. I'm not as attached to the bridge pickup though.

The freeway switch is definitely on my list of mods to make to this guitar.
Definitely different. I love the 5708, my favorite PRS pickup set. I like others individually, but as a set my fav. I'm not really a fan of 8515S in general, but I do like it in the neck of the seSAS, but not so much the bridge. Same goes for the core 8515, I like the neck, but not the bridge.

Think more modern on the 8515 and 5708 more PAF. The 5909 bridge goes well with the 8515. And the 5909 is my favorite PRS bridge pickup. I'm trying to remember how the 5708 bridge paired with the 8515 neck.

Not sure how you can make that assumption as it cannot be switched on its own. Live with it a little longer before you decide to change things.

Not sure how you can make that assumption as it cannot be switched on its own. Live with it a little longer before you decide to change things.
I'm not quite ready to switch out the humbuckers since I am mostly happy with them, hence the desire to try switching out the middle single coil to see what effects it will have on the overall tone.

I've done some pretty extensive testing with the split tones, adding in EQ, raising heights, putting in a compressor and I can get it to a place that's usable for me but it's still not where i'd like it to be.

Let us know how you go. I would if i was pressed, be changing the humbuckers to the TCI pickups in my SE 24- 08 rather than the single coil.

Let us know how you go. I would if i was pressed, be changing the humbuckers to the TCI pickups in my SE 24- 08 rather than the single coil.
I might go that way, the bridge from the 24/08 is one of my favorites.

Definitely different. I love the 5708, my favorite PRS pickup set. I like others individually, but as a set my fav. I'm not really a fan of 8515S in general, but I do like it in the neck of the seSAS, but not so much the bridge. Same goes for the core 8515, I like the neck, but not the bridge.

Think more modern on the 8515 and 5708 more PAF. The 5909 bridge goes well with the 8515. And the 5909 is my favorite PRS bridge pickup. I'm trying to remember how the 5708 bridge paired with the 8515 neck.
I was going to do this but happened upon a set of the 58/15LT So gonna try that in my SAS SE. Hopefully I can figure out the wiring differences and it doesnt' sound too bizzare.

I was going to do this but happened upon a set of the 58/15LT So gonna try that in my SAS SE. Hopefully I can figure out the wiring differences and it doesnt' sound too bizzare.
After lots and lots of swaps I ended up with a 5815LT in the neck and 5708 in the bridge of my core SAS. That combo is never going anywhere. Love it

After lots and lots of swaps I ended up with a 5815LT in the neck and 5708 in the bridge of my core SAS. That combo is never going anywhere. Love it
Good to know. Working on this right now. Excited to start playing instead of researching lol

Can't recommend the freeway 6way enough. Total game changer for the SAS.
Good call. That looks awesome.

Before I go to the larger group with a question Im sure has been asked 100 times but can't really find clarity. Do you know if the SE Pickup wire colors are the same as the TCI color scheme. Asking here in case Jacob needs it later. Heard a YouTuber say the Black on the TCI is swapped with the Green on the "s" pickups. I couldn't find it in the forum so far with all of the pickup posts. Getting lost in it all. thanks!

Good call. That looks awesome.

Before I go to the larger group with a question Im sure has been asked 100 times but can't really find clarity. Do you know if the SE Pickup wire colors are the same as the TCI color scheme. Asking here in case Jacob needs it later. Heard a YouTuber say the Black on the TCI is swapped with the Green on the "s" pickups. I couldn't find it in the forum so far with all of the pickup posts. Getting lost in it all. thanks!
The wire colors aren't the same. Your 5815LT are TCI? 5 wires?

Hey everyone, just got my SE Swamp Ash Special and it's a great guitar. I like the humbuckers but what hasn't quite got me is the middle single coil pickup, it sounds a little too twangy and thin for me. I tried looking up some single coils that could replace it but it's hard to pick not knowing what the specs of the current single coil are. I know it's a combo of alnico and steel but I'm not sure that gives me too much to go on in terms of tone and output. Anyone have any suggestions on some single coil pickups that could fit in well the with 85/15 S pickups? I'm looking for something that sounds a little thicker and fuller and I suppose a little more output as I have noticed there is a good volume drop when splitting and bringing in that middle pickup.
Try researching at the Seymore Duncan website. They do a good job with descriptions, charts and recorded examples. True, you won’t know exactly how your guitar will bond with them, but they get you awful close.

The wire colors aren't the same. Your 5815LT are TCI? 5 wires?
Sorry I miss quoted the Tuber. The orange is gone and the black/cloth is shielded instead. Only visible difference is the 85/15 S have a Chassis grounding wire vs the TCI shielded soldered to the pup casing

100003618969c4e1e1ff19c79b.jpg

Thank you. Exactly what I've been looking for. Not sure when they got rid of the orange wire though.

Thank you. Exactly what I've been looking for. Not sure when they got rid of the orange wire though.
Welcome. There's TCI and non TCI versions..what wires do you have? The TCI are labeled TCI on the sticker on the back of the pickup.

Back