Still thinking 408

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Stopped by my PRS dealer today, and looked at a tremolo 408 standard.
Pretty sure before long I will be picking one up soon sans tremolo.

Question, I know the non maple cap one would be like my Gibson SG, all mahogany top, and the maple top 408 are like my SEs with their maple caps on them.
Is there going to be any big difference in sound between the two, or is it mainly cosmetics?

I wish the antique natural color was up on the MT page.
Anyone have an example of it elsewhere?
http://prsguitars.com/408/colors.php

Now for the standard mahogany one, they have a nice natural color.
http://prsguitars.com/408standard/colors.php

front.jpg

I like that.
Now when you get the natural sides, back, and neck, is it a lighter color, or is it going to be the exact same natural as the picture above shows for the front?

Other than deciding between the standard and the MT, I would be going with the pattern thin neck and a stoptail piece.
I take it these come with 10s, so I would have to have the dealer readjust it for 9s, as I run 9s on all of my other guitars.

I can hear the difference between the MT and Standards. It's exactly what you would expect when comparing the two. My natural 408 is the same color all the way around.

All things being equal (which, hey, it's wood, there's variety) the all-mahogany guitar should have a thicker, more prominent midrange, while the maple top model should have a bit more top end spank.

Thanks guys for the input.

Shawn, any chance you have a photo of a guitar somewhere with that Antique Natural?

I played a beautiful pair at Wildwood last week. Both had IRW necks. The Standard was my favorite...then I played the MT. :eek:

With the rosewood neck, both had a very bell-like tone that I didn't expect from the Standard. I liked both a lot, and my next guitar will be a 408 with IRW neck. I'm going to go with the MT. It just seemed to ring forever. Those pickups are amazing.

Stopped by my PRS dealer today, and looked at a tremolo 408 standard.
Pretty sure before long I will be picking one up soon sans tremolo.

Question, I know the non maple cap one would be like my Gibson SG, all mahogany top, and the maple top 408 are like my SEs with their maple caps on them.
Is there going to be any big difference in sound between the two, or is it mainly cosmetics?

I wish the antique natural color was up on the MT page.
Anyone have an example of it elsewhere?
http://prsguitars.com/408/colors.php

Now for the standard mahogany one, they have a nice natural color.
http://prsguitars.com/408standard/colors.php

front.jpg

I like that.
Now when you get the natural sides, back, and neck, is it a lighter color, or is it going to be the exact same natural as the picture above shows for the front?

Other than deciding between the standard and the MT, I would be going with the pattern thin neck and a stoptail piece.
I take it these come with 10s, so I would have to have the dealer readjust it for 9s, as I run 9s on all of my other guitars.

GUITAR SHOP HAS A NATURAL 408-- WEIGHTS ONLY 7.4 LBS.

I'm patiently waiting for mine. I ordered a 408 10-top with a RW neck. It's been about four weeks now so I'm starting to get a little anxious. The closer it gets the harder it becomes to wait.

Emailed my dealer yesterday, and he left me voicemail when I was in bed.
Will be talking with him today.
I also think I will go with the tremolo now over the stop tail piece.

Customer Service sent me a pic of the Antique Natural since it is not up on the site yet under colors, and I like it, so I will probably go with it.

Does anyone run 9-42s on their 408s or any PRS?
I think these ship with 10s, but I have 9s on all of my guitars, and I just like Super Slinky Cobalts in 9s the best.
There should not be any problem running 9s on the 408 right?

I dont' think there'd be a problem with 10s.

Now that I have the 408 pickups, I love what they do. I could get by with one guitar.

I pulled the trigger today at lunch.

Antique Natural (Matt from Customer Service sent me a 513 pic in that color yesterday to see it)
Maple Top
Tremolo
Pattern Thin neck.

I looked at a 408 Standard he had in stock, looked nice.
It was a quilt I believe, and I looked at a P22 with a flame pattern.

So basically we get what we get when they pick the two pieces?
Either pattern looks great to me.

I have the Antique Natural picture on my Droid, but I cannot upload to my server from work.

He will put the order in today, but he said turn around is around 4 to 6 months since it has to be built?
Long time to wait...

Yes, Matt just emailed me back, and said around 4 months.
Hmmmm, end of May?

I pulled the trigger today at lunch.

Antique Natural (Matt from Customer Service sent me a 513 pic in that color yesterday to see it)
Maple Top
Tremolo
Pattern Thin neck.

I looked at a 408 Standard he had in stock, looked nice.
It was a quilt I believe, and I looked at a P22 with a flame pattern.

So basically we get what we get when they pick the two pieces?
Either pattern looks great to me.

I have the Antique Natural picture on my Droid, but I cannot upload to my server from work.

He will put the order in today, but he said turn around is around 4 to 6 months since it has to be built?
Long time to wait...

Yes, Matt just emailed me back, and said around 4 months.
Hmmmm, end of May?

Cool! It'll be fun to read your NGD post!

The 408s are awesome. I'm having a hard time picking up another guitar. I think you'll have a blast. Congrats!

Thanks guy's.

Question, can I let my dealer know that I want a quilt or flame on that maple top?
Or do I get what I get :D

Omg Cory that's friggin sweet....ok I'm a little jealous too. I'm trying to pull the trigger on a DGT but my dealer ticked me off. Think I may have to wait.

In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy your nod when you get it, I'm happy for you

Used 408 on flea-bay. Though there is a purple hazel one that is pretty cool. Never had a purple guitar...I should stay off forums.

Back