Still thinking 408

Thanks Box, I bet you get the call on Monday.

Sleary, you just got a new guitar too?
Ahh, just found it, a DGT.
I will hop over a page :D

Box, any news?
I hope both of ours did ship last week like they were suppose to, I will be disappointed if mine does not show up by Friday.

This has been epic ... I'm almost in as much anticipation around this arriving as when I order a guitar myself!

Incidentally, my local dealer always sets up every guitar that arrives but - when I spoke to their techs - they said they never really have to do anything bar check the setup for a PRS vs some other manufacturers where it's a more full-on process. :)

Thanks Tolm, this has been a very long waiting experience.
Good to know the setups hold well in transit.
Pretty sure my dealers techs (Jay or Tony, depending on who is working the day it comes in) will not have to do to much from switching from the stock 10s to my 9s.

Another thing, do the Maryland built guitars ship with a PRS sticker?
I know the SEs do not.
I seem to have misplaced my sticker that I got with the Holiday Thank You pack.

No news yet, Corey. My dealer doesn't receive shipments over the weekend, so best case scenario it would have been delivered yesterday (assuming it shipped Friday). If I don't hear anything by 3 or so this afternoon, I'll give a call to check in. Hoping yours arrives by week's end! :p

So I called my dealer this afternoon, once the ship date (+1 day for delivery, per my dealer) had passed. He called PRS, and called me back about 40 minutes later to tell me that it's now slated for "casing" on May 31st. So, no NGD for me. What's frustrating is that this is now the 4th time that the ship date has been pushed back and delayed. I mean, I get that things happen, quality over quantity, I ordered an Artist Package instrument, etc. But 4 times I've been given a date, and 4 times that date has come and gone, only to be replaced with another date further down the road.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when ordering a PRS guitar that wasn't readily in stock?

So I called my dealer this afternoon, once the ship date (+1 day for delivery, per my dealer) had passed. He called PRS, and called me back about 40 minutes later to tell me that it's now slated for "casing" on May 31st. So, no NGD for me. What's frustrating is that this is now the 4th time that the ship date has been pushed back and delayed. I mean, I get that things happen, quality over quantity, I ordered an Artist Package instrument, etc. But 4 times I've been given a date, and 4 times that date has come and gone, only to be replaced with another date further down the road.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when ordering a PRS guitar that wasn't readily in stock?

Patience, grasshopper!

There's a lot of hand work and inspection that goes on behind the scenes. Flaws get corrected. Adjustments are made. That takes time.

They don't just pop these out of an oven on an assembly line like donuts, wrap them in cellophane and ship them.

I've special ordered quite a few PRSes. I ordered a PS acoustic last September and I haven't a clue when it will be done. I would never bug my dealer; whenever it gets here, it'll be a good day!

All the phone calls and posts aren't going to make yours happen faster.

Patience, grasshopper!

There's a lot of hand work and inspection that goes on behind the scenes. Flaws get corrected. Adjustments are made. That takes time.

They don't just pop these out of an oven on an assembly line like donuts, wrap them in cellophane and ship them.

I've special ordered quite a few PRSes. I ordered a PS acoustic last September and I haven't a clue when it will be done. I would never bug my dealer; whenever it gets here, it'll be a good day!

All the phone calls and posts aren't going to make yours happen faster.

+1, don't get too upset or you might not even be that excited when it finally shows up!

I'm not looking to accelerate the process. I get that it takes time, and I'm okay with that because I know I'm going to get a killer product. What I would appreciate, though, is information.

When a consumer purchases a product and is given an expected delivery date for that product by the manufacturer, it's not unreasonable for the consumer to harbor some level of expectation that the product will be delivered on or around that date. Yes, those dates are often estimates. And yes, those dates can and will slide if defects or other issues surface during manufacture and production (especially at a company with extremely rigid QC, such as PRS). However, when that quoted date does come and go, especially 4 times, it's not unreasonable for the consumer to inquire as to what's going on. So far, the best we've been able to get was a tidbit of information after delay #2, which was simply "there was a delay".

I'm not saying that I expect or I'm entitled to detailed step-by-step updates. I'm merely making the assertion that if a delivery date is provided, and no product is delivered by that date, it's reasonable for the customer to want to know what's happening. As big of a PRS fan as I am, and as understanding as I am regarding the process of making these awesome instruments, at the end of the day I'm still a consumer who's been given 4 delivery dates that have now come and gone. I don't feel unjustified in wondering what happened.

I don't feel unjustified in wondering what happened.

I always get antsy about a new guitar in the same way I do about a new woman... sometimes talking about it helps ease the suffering of anticipation, but in the end.. it takes as long s it's supposed too.. and if it's meant to be? That eventually becomes a big part of the enjoyment process..... A brother has got to be able to talk about it to his boys.:cheers:

Guy's, we are not expecting a blow by blow detailed "where is the guitar on the assembly line right now" kind of information, just confirmation of shipment.
Mine too has been slipped back three times, and if it did not go out last Friday like my dealer was told it did, then mine too has missed shipment four times now.

Yes, we can get antsy about it after several months, some of us put down some considerable coin as a down payment on these with our dealers.
The dealers are pretty much left in the dark though on shipments, and often their inquiries to their PRS contacts can go unanswered.
The best thing that can happen is that the dealer be emailed a UPS tracking number since all shipments that leave shipping have one on the shipping box.

I am waiting until Friday afternoon to call my dealer to see if mine came in or not.

I'm not looking to accelerate the process. I get that it takes time, and I'm okay with that because I know I'm going to get a killer product. What I would appreciate, though, is information.

When a consumer purchases a product and is given an expected delivery date for that product by the manufacturer, it's not unreasonable for the consumer to harbor some level of expectation that the product will be delivered on or around that date. Yes, those dates are often estimates.

You probably think I'm picking on you. I'm really not into doing that.

If, as you say, you're ok with the process, and how things get delayed, and you want a super guitar, then you have to remember:

Their focus is building great guitars. They have their hands full just doing that. It's actually a small company that isn't equipped to provide this kind of information direct to consumers, their customers are their dealers.

I know it takes a lot of patience to wait, so what I try to do is just put it out of my mind until my dealer calls.

I have two on order. I get how it's hard to wait.

Last edited:
I special ordered a guitar once (different manufacturer) and remember all these emotions, the "trying to be patient after several delays but dammit so much I have been waiting and how long does it take anyway?" It's not fun at all. What's worse is the guitar that arrived was exactly to spec but did not meet my expectations.

While I did sell that guitar for a loss, I took the remaining money down to my local shops and played a crapload of guitars - and ended up with my 1st PRS, which I still have 6 and a half years later.

I guess the point of my rambling story is that it all works out in the end.

You probably think I'm picking on you. I'm really not into doing that.

If, as you say, you're ok with the process, and how things get delayed, and you want a super guitar, then you have to remember:

Their focus is building great guitars. They have their hands full just doing that. It's actually a small company that isn't equipped to provide this kind of information direct to consumers, their customers are their dealers.

I know it takes a lot of patience to wait, so what I try to do is just put it out of my mind until my dealer calls.

I have two on order. I get how it's hard to wait.

No worries, Les. I don't feel like you're picking on me. And I'm not angry or upset about any of this. I get it. And I'm okay with it. As other posters have noted, I'm just antsy about it. This is a huge deal to me, as I'm sure it was for many, many other folks here the first time they took the plunge. I decided at about age 20 that I had to have one of these instruments. And when I make a decision to do something, I don't act until I know for certain that I can accomplish my goal on my terms. I've worked my @$$ off for over the past 15 years to get myself in a position to where I could finally purchase, on my terms, the guitar that I wanted. I fell in love with the Private Stock Signature Limited that was the first to feature the 408 pickups. But there's no way I could afford one. My dealer told me to be patient, because he was pretty certain that in short order they'd make a production model. He was right, and I've trusted him and his judgment ever since. But the delivery of this guitar is, quite literally, the culmination of half a lifetime's hard work and dreams. No, that's not hyperbole. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks 'round these parts who can empathize.

It's all about perspective. I'm sure after another 10-15 years of life under my belt, my third or fourth PRS, and my first Private Stock, my perspective will be vastly changed. I guess what's doubly frustrating is that I make a living solving problems, fixing processes, and improving things. And I see ways that this process could be improved, as I'm sure countless others have as well. That's not a knock against PRS; but nothing is perfect. I wouldn't have set my sights on the creme de la creme if I wasn't absolutely convinced that it is, far and away, a superior product. I have no doubts that this guitar is going to blow me away, and exceed any expectations I might have for it. And I understand the wholesaler/retailer difference. As much as I would love to drive over to Stevensville and pick it up myself, I understand how this all works. I can't help but look at it through the consulting lens. Had I ordered any other product from any other company, and had a similar experience, I'd be just as curious as to what has caused the delays. The anxiety is just amplified because of what this particular purchase represents for me.

I just needed to vent. That's it and that's all. I'm not a Tom Petty fan, but he said it best: "The waaii-aaaiii-ting is the haaaaaaaaaar-dest paaaaaaaaaart."

Box, I know what ya mean.
I am so use to tracking stuff with Amazon, Sweetwater, REI, you name it.
Plus the stuff I ship/receive at work for customers, I know where their/my parts are all the time.

Well...one more day?
We shall see

Blinking_Eye_Animation_by_danny_phantom_luver.gif

Soooooo...we are all in the lunchroom here at work when my cell phone starts belitin' out the opening riff to SexTypeThing by the Stone Temple Pilots.
I made that my new ringtone last week.
I knew it would be my dealer before I even answered it :D

Got up from the table and everyone else knew what was going on too.
Dealer told me he got an email from his sales guy just prior to him calling me with the tracking number.
Now that was not to hard to provide a tracking number 'eh?
A little late though, because when he plugged in the tracking number it said the 408 was out for local delivery for today.

221792fjdradop7s.gif

I get off work in an hour from now, and he may just be getting the guitar right now as I type this, so they will not have enough time to switch it over to the thinner Cobalts and readjust it for me.
I have tomorrow off for a four day weekend, so I will swing by at 10 am tomorrow when they open.

I had a good feeling that it shipped a day early last week when they sent out the invoice, seven days from last Thursday comes out to today.

Pics a comin' tomorrow late in the afternoon in a new thread.
Finally, the wait is over.
Getting very excited to compare it to my 2012 SE Custom 24.
I like how the knob controls reside in a recessed whole on the Maryland built guitars, and it will be nice to compare how this 408 compares to its South Korean cousins.
From watching the series of how the guitars are built, it looks like the contours on the sides are cut deeper too than the SEs I am use to.

bigdirk_clear.gif

Thanks!
Yes, got a new 2012 Gibson '61 SG Reissue a year ago in May, then got the SE Santana shortly afterward.
After playing the SE Santana, my youngest son's 2012 SE Semi-Hollow, my 2012 Custom 24, and lastly the 2012 SE Tremonti Custom, I have come to the conclusion they are just as nicely built as the Gibson, and even play actually better.
The SG has a very long neck, but very thin like I like, but the SEs are much easier to me to play.

Having never played a USA built PRS yet, I am hoping to get blown away by it since the SEs play so nice.

Having never played a USA built PRS yet, I am hoping to get blown away by it since the SEs play so nice.

Oh, wow! A USA PRS is like making love to a beautiful woman who loves you. SEs are like going solo, while other brands don't even get you where you want to go. Sometimes you just gotta rub one out and you're on your way, and it's fine and dandy, but it's never a true substitute for that beautiful lady in your bed.

Mods - I hope this is PG enough, I had some other ideas that were more of an R rated thing. :biggrin:

Back