Choices for a Private Stock Build

Solteroblues

So thinking about my next PS build. It's gonna be a Custom 24, not decided on color scheme yet... but wanted to get some opinions on the woods to go with. I want it to be unique and exotic, but tasteful so that its not some weird combination that no one would ever find attractive. Here are some ideas that I like, what combination would you choose? I would have done a poll, but the options are nearly limitless

Back woods:
Striped African Mahogany
Honduran Mahogany
Curly Black Limba
Spanish Cedar

Top woods:
Flamed Maple
Tubular Quilted Maple

Neck woods:
Indian Rosewood
Ziricote
Flamed Maple
Honduran Mahogany
Spanish Cedar

Fretboard:
Flamed Maple
Gaboon Ebony
Ziricote
Black & White Pale Moon Ebony

Just for some perspective, this is the PS Santana that I used to own. It has combos of all of the wood choices that you have listed.

SKlhoHG.jpg

T4T12TL.jpg

Xk9PDHe.jpg

FJE9q0h.jpg

I don't know when the last time was you specked out a PS but you may want to talk to a dealer. I just finished the spec for mine and some of the woods you have in your list are not in the list of available wood to choose from. These two are two I noticed you have that were not in the list I had to choose from.

Honduran Mahogany
Spanish Cedar

Spanish Cedar, nice light weight Mahogany with cool figuring. Think our friends up north (Canada) used it quite a bit. I have a Godin made of it, well the back of the guitar at least.

Great question. It depends on what you are going for tonally. Looks are not everything, although a nice top never hurt anybody.

I myself would go for proven basic combinations. Hog body with top with either hog neck or rosewood neck is popular. All korina (yes, even without top) is great. Add a maple top and it becomes a little more wide range tonally.

There are certain differences with hog species, but I cannot really tell the difference, since I only had the run of the mill PRS variety, with the exception of the peruvian hog neck on a c24. Great guitar, but too different from my other guitars to filter out the wood.

For the looks: figured hog neck is awesome. Tubular quilt is great, but would not be my choice. I'd prefer a nice one piece quilt (if it were up to me). FB: only maple with a maple neck, but I would not go that route.

Just for some perspective, this is the PS Santana that I used to own. It has combos of all of the wood choices that you have listed.

SKlhoHG.jpg

T4T12TL.jpg

Xk9PDHe.jpg

FJE9q0h.jpg
That’s seriously one of the best Private Stocks I’ve ever seen. Love that red and the contrast between it and the maple board. That back is phenomenal also. Very well done.

I don't know when the last time was you specked out a PS but you may want to talk to a dealer. I just finished the spec for mine and some of the woods you have in your list are not in the list of available wood to choose from. These two are two I noticed you have that were not in the list I had to choose from.

Honduran Mahogany
Spanish Cedar
I’ve not seen Cedro (Spanish Cedar) on any PRS PS list. I have a Nik Huber with it and love it.

PRS refers to South American Mahogany, not Honduran, for years. I’ve also seen Cuban Mahogany from time to time.

Back woods:
Striped African Mahogany

Top woods:
Tubular Quilted Maple

Neck woods:
Ziricote

Fretboard:
Ziricote

Back