"Sinker" on Sigs

Shawn@PRS said:
It has come to our attention that there is a misunderstanding surrounding the term "sinker" mahogany as we used it to describe our Signature Limited model. When the wood was first brought to our attention Paul commented, "This wood is so dense, it would sink in water," so the nickname "sinker" was given. It was never our intention to mislead folks into believing it was reclaimed wood that had been submersed in water for a period of time. The truth is most of us had never heard this term used before, but we've since learned of the word's other use, and we apologize for the mix up.

PRS tries to be a transparent company. Those of you who are familiar with Paul and the PRS crew know this to be true.

Now this I can get behind. A sincere apology instead of a video telling me why I was wrong to think that Sinker actually meant recovered wood. It is still a shame that some of us did not get what we thought we were buying if we bought our guitars early BUT this is stand up.

I still think it would have been awesome if my neck was cut by some dude in 1750 which a hatchet though ;)

Buickrob said:
I still think it would have been awesome if my neck was cut by some dude in 1750 which a hatchet though ;)

That would be awesome.

A guillotine would be less painful, of course.

LSchefman said:
Buickrob said:

That would be awesome.

A guillotine would be less painful, of course.

A rusty butter knife would be less painful than arguing with you again. :mrgreen:

Shawn@PRS said:
It has come to our attention that there is a misunderstanding surrounding the term "sinker" mahogany as we used it to describe our Signature Limited model. When the wood was first brought to our attention Paul commented, "This wood is so dense, it would sink in water," so the nickname "sinker" was given. It was never our intention to mislead folks into believing it was reclaimed wood that had been submersed in water for a period of time. The truth is most of us had never heard this term used before, but we've since learned of the word's other use, and we apologize for the mix up.

PRS tries to be a transparent company. Those of you who are familiar with Paul and the PRS crew know this to be true.

Very cool Shawn. I'm pretty sure that most of us enjoyed the debate itself, more than the actual issue of the true origin of the wood. Most of all (I think) never thought it was malicious or done with intent to mislead.

thanks for the comments. Much appreciated, at least by myself, owner of PS Sig #56.

-Bennett

Just an FYI update, and last thing I will ever say about this publicly. I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back. My last email said I unfortunately have to vote with my wallet going forward. Not that I buy a ton of new PRS but it's been 6-7 since 2009. First time I've ever had emails go unanswered by PRS.

I will say again though, the general apology here was a step in the right direction at least.

Last edited:
Just an FYI update, and last thing I will ever say about this publicly. I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back. My last email said I unfortunately have to vote with my wallet going forward. Not that I buy a ton of new PRS but it's been 6-7 since 2009. First time I've ever had emails go unanswered by PRS.

I will say again though, the general apology here was a step in the right direction at least.

A couple of things are driving me batty. In the same paragraph, you state "not that I really needed a reply," and that since you didn't get one, you're going to "vote with your wallet going forward."

Maybe you don't see a contradiction here. I don't want to start another argument, but you clearly did need a reply, and I sincerely hope you get one.

Also people are thanking Shawn for re-stating the very same explanation Paul Smith gave in his video, like it's somehow different. What's changed? That he said, in essence, "we're sorry for the mixup?"

I received this e-mail yesterday from Shawn...

I will be out of the office until May 29th, 2012.
I will reply to your email upon my return.

Thank you.

Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation...

Jamie

I did send emails Monday and Wednesday to PRS Cust Serv. Did not even get a reply. Not that I really needed a reply, it obviously would not change my guitar. I did expect to at least hear something back.
Yup. The man is on a well deserved vacation.

Last edited:

Rob,

I've been out of the office so I thought I'd post a reply here on the forum so that you didn't have to repost my email to you.

A couple of things are driving me batty. In the same paragraph, you state "not that I really needed a reply," and that since you didn't get one, you're going to "vote with your wallet going forward."

Maybe you don't see a contradiction here. I don't want to start another argument, but you clearly did need a reply, and I sincerely hope you get one.

Also people are thanking Shawn for re-stating the very same explanation Paul Smith gave in his video, like it's somehow different. What's changed? That he said, in essence, "we're sorry for the mixup?"

Just when I think I got out.........

Jesus Christ, stop over ANALyzing every damn word. Somehow you think you know everything going on in other people's minds. You do not know what I need vs. what I want. I did not need a reply, I did expect one. Happy now? My decision to vote with my wallet was pretty much already made by that point.

Why is there no ignore function on this forum? I am using with great pleasure at other forums so I never see 'ole Les' posts.

I received this e-mail yesterday from Shawn...

Not an excuse, but maybe an explanation...

Jamie

Ahh, I emailed the general link on the PRS website and did not get an out of office.

Yup. The man is on a well deserved vacation.

I have no doubt it is well deserved, honestly.

Rob,

I've been out of the office so I thought I'd post a reply here on the forum so that you didn't have to repost my email to you.

Didn't realize you were out as the email address I wrote to did not kick back a message. Emails are usually replied to very quickly and honestly it seemed like direct communication was being avoided. Have a great vaca!

Why is there no ignore function on this forum?
There is.
1) Click on the username of the person you'd like to ignore.
2) Click [View profile] from the drop-down menu that appears.
3) Select [Add To Ignore List] from the options visible under their avatar.

There is.
1) Click on the username of the person you'd like to ignore.
2) Click [View profile] from the drop-down menu that appears.
3) Select [Add To Ignore List] from the options visible under their avatar.

Yes, just saw that. Thank you sir!

No worries, Rob.

Obviously, I'd prefer that you guys actually talk to each other (offline) and work it out but that's why the feature is there.

Hans, ever the gentleman!

But in this case...not necessary.

It has come to our attention that there is a misunderstanding surrounding the term "sinker" mahogany..................It was never our intention to mislead folks into believing it was reclaimed wood that had been submersed in water for a period of time. The truth is most of us had never heard this term used before, but we've since learned of the word's other use, and we apologize for the mix up................

I've watched this train wreck and stayed out of it. Should probably stay out of it now....but speaking plainly.......I find it unbelievable that anyone who works with wood professionally, let alone professional woodworkers making guitars for a number of decades, doesn't know of or hasn't heard of "sinker wood" as wood having been recovered from an underwater environment. Stories of this stuff has been around for decades. Sinker wood has been harvested for many years from lakes and rivers in every section of the country where wood was harvested in prior years. This stuff has been featured on many TV programs and wood working shows.... it was featured on this This Old House. This stuff has been discussed and featured in wood working and guitar forums for a number of years. Tacoma Guitars made acoustic guitar tops out of this stuff maybe 10-12 years ago, I have one.

I don't mean to personally characterize anyone but something here stinks like it fell out the wrong end of the horse.

BG

Last edited:
Back